Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I was standing in line with my friend, Mr. Jimmy....Dedicated to Mr kleermaker
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 19, 2010 00:05

6th November 1981

My favorite ever ..... :

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: I was standing in line with my friend, Mr. Jimmy....Dedicated to Mr kleermaker
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 19, 2010 20:07

"...Dedicated to Mr kleermaker"

Mais c'est beaucoup trop d'honneur pour un homme simple comme moi, SwayStones.

I've listened attentively to these 3 versions of one of the greatest Stonessongs ever and it's amazing how difficult it is to destroy that song, even with community singing in it. I'm most familiar with the last one (your favourite), but the first two versions are certainly not bad imo, though the guitars lack some expressiveness and the song isn't apt for 'show'. The instruments don't tell me the story of the song. My objection to the Brussels version is a bit of the same kind. The sax solo doesn't tell me anything. It's also way too long and it ends up in nothing. Keith's playing is great in this version, but Taylor has too less room to bring the essence of the song.

This all is the reason why I prefer the London version I put on YT. It's absolutely not a well known version, which is due to its much lesser sound quality, certainly compared to the outstanding sound quality of the 3 versions you posted. So one better tries to listen 'through' the poor sound quality and concentrate on the musical and emotional content.

Because there's no sax solo in it, the guitar takes that part of the solo as well and tells a complete story. After having explored and developed the main theme of the song very profoundly, in which one can hear some kind of resistance against the 'thesis' "You can't always get what you want", it ends up by accepting it. In the end there's some acquiescence and certainly some melancholy, and the very end of the solo expresses the comfort of the words "... but if you try sometime well you just might find you get what you need". Listen in particular from 6.30 on, so beautiful, simple and soft. The very end of the 'guitar story' stands the screams of resistance and leaves you off with feelings of comfort and melancholy at the same time. The song finishes somewhat 'confused', certainly not a polished end: that reflects all the mixed feelings this wonderful song contains.

Re: I was standing in line with my friend, Mr. Jimmy....Dedicated to Mr kleermaker
Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 19, 2010 20:13

i've always wondered, who is this mr. jimmy that mick speaks of?

Posted by: BBstones ()
Date: March 20, 2010 04:38

There is a news story out of Minniapolis, MN that Mr Jimmy owned or worked at a small store when the Stones were there in 64-65? and MJ came in and talked and got the (cherry red) fountain soda and the whole bit. The story was in a alt. Minniapolis newspaper. The guy passed away years ago but a friend who owns the store next to his former spot sent me the article and says its legand.
Just what I heard.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 20, 2010 12:08

bernardanderson

Jimmy Miller. When Miller approved of something he would say, in typical late '60's American talk, "dead".

Mathijs

Date: March 23, 2010 17:12

Mr Kleermaker has completed his YouTube channel:

[www.youtube.com]

He has also written an original review of a relatively unknow but excellent performance of YCAGWYW during the European Tour 1973. See up here for an interesting read.

But his question concerns something else:

How many of you do have a YT-channel with Stones-songs on it?

It would be interesting to take a look at them. Please let us know.

Yours truly,

Mr. K

Date: March 23, 2010 18:35

Mathijs
bernardanderson

Jimmy Miller. When Miller approved of something he would say, in typical late '60's American talk, "dead".

Mathijs

I've always thought that Mr Jimmy was Jimmy Hutmaker confused smiley
The man attended a Stones concert at the Danceland Ballroom in 1964. The next day Mick Jagger was having a prescription filled at Bacon's Drugstore when he met Jimmy again. Jimmy complained to Jagger that he had ordered a Cherry Coke but received a regular Coca Cola instead, then complained, saying "You can't always get what you want."

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: March 23, 2010 18:41

SwayStones
Mathijs
bernardanderson

Mathijs

I've always thought that Mr Jimmy was Jimmy Hutmaker confused smiley
The man attended a Stones concert at the Danceland Ballroom in 1964. The next day Mick Jagger was having a prescription filled at Bacon's Drugstore when he met Jimmy again. Jimmy complained to Jagger that he had ordered a Cherry Coke but received a regular Coca Cola instead, then complained, saying "You can't always get what you want."

It's a song, not a 'true story', so it's very well possible that Jagger had both Jimmies in mind and made one Jimmy out of two.

But please have also attention for Mr K's question up here, dear members! Both Jimmies are 'dead'. Let them rest in peace.

Date: March 23, 2010 18:50

kleermaker
.But please have also attention for Mr K's question up here, dear members!

No,I don't .I've been thinking about it but there are already some real experts & I wouldn't dare to add a new YT channel winking smiley

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 23, 2010 18:50

Mathijs
bernardanderson

Mathijs

My interpretation was that Jimmy Miller would say "dead" if he didn't like the song, thus, "you can't always get what you want".

I never believed that ridiculous story from the guy that claimed he was Mr. Jimmy, who supposedly was in a drug store in the middle of nowhere (in 1964, no less!) when Mick was in front of him in line and ordered a cherry coke, which of course they did not have (hence YCAGWYW). Like Mick would even remember, much less write about such an incidental occurence some 4 or 5 years later?

Mr. Jimmy is Jimmy Miller!

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 23, 2010 19:00

>>I never believed that ridiculous story from the guy that claimed he was Mr. Jimmy, who supposedly was in a drug store in the middle of nowhere (in 1964, no less!) when Mick was in front of him in line and ordered a cherry coke, which of course they did not have (hence YCAGWYW). Like Mick would even remember, much less write about such an incidental occurence some 4 or 5 years later?

I tend to agree with this. The song's lyrics are about the way relationships change once heroin is a dominating force in people's lives. Mick was surrounded by people who had become addicted in the last couple of years: Marianne, Keith, Anita, Marshall Chess, and of course Jimmy Miller, their producer.

Date: March 23, 2010 19:01

Ross
Mathijs
bernardanderson

Mathijs

My interpretation was that Jimmy Miller would say "dead" if he didn't like the song, thus, "you can't always get what you want".

I never believed that ridiculous story from the guy that claimed he was Mr. Jimmy, who supposedly was in a drug store in the middle of nowhere (in 1964, no less!) when Mick was in front of him in line and ordered a cherry coke, which of course they did not have (hence YCAGWYW). Like Mick would even remember, much less write about such an incidental occurence some 4 or 5 years later?

Boy oh boy, sometimes a myth or a fantasy is much more attractive than cold reality. My Mr Jimmy are two guys, one of them standing in line in a drugstore.

But okay, SwayStones doesn't have a YT-channel, but actually I was asking who of us does have one with Stones-songs, not who doesn't have one (that would be quite a list I guess). I'm really curious and would like to take a look at those channels.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: March 23, 2010 19:24

James Phelge, who lived with Mick/Brian/Keith in Edith Grove in 1963, has claimed to be "Mr Jimmy".
(In his book "Nankering With The Rolling Stones", 1998)

Re: I was standing in line with my friend, Mr. Jimmy....Dedicated to Mr kleermaker>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<hot smiley
Posted by: Satisfaction ()
Date: March 23, 2010 20:24

Kleermaker,
The London version you propose is really AMAZING!!!!
I never heard it before.
Thaks very much for the listening.

Re: I was standing in line with my friend, Mr. Jimmy....Dedicated to Mr kleermaker>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<hot smiley
Date: March 23, 2010 20:41

Actually you have to thank pmk251, because he brought it to my noticesmiling smiley. I had downloaded so many shows in such a short time that I hadn't had the time yet to listen to it all. I was collecting at full speed and had in mind to listen to everything later. But this one struck me at first hearing. Never heard a more impressive and beautiful version. Imagine it having the sound quality of the Brussels YCAGWYW!

Date: March 24, 2010 17:31

That would be great of course.
Could you give me the exact reference of the bootleg where I can find it, if possible.
Thanks in advance.

Date: March 24, 2010 18:43

kleermaker
Boy oh boy, sometimes a myth or a fantasy is much more attractive than cold reality. My Mr Jimmy are two guys.....>>

Are you "two guys in one" Mr kleemaker ? cool smiley

>>I'm most familiar with the last one (your favourite), but the first two versions are certainly not bad imo, though the guitars lack some expressiveness and the song isn't apt for 'show'<<

To be honest, I 've chosen these versions on purpose ...

The 1st version isn't the worse "recent one " but it has nothing to do with the older/oldest ones .

I do like the sax on the 81 ' version,because it sounds nice to my ears & allowed Jagger to "do his show" -do you understand what I mean ?

>>6.30 on, so beautiful, simple and soft<<<
Yes ,indeed,but IMO it misses some harshness that is needed in order to avoid this song to be mellow.

What do you think ?

Date: March 24, 2010 20:22

Satisfaction
Could you give me the exact reference of the bootleg where I can find it, if possible.
Thanks in advance.

First things first!

Satisfaction, I have this info from the bootleg I downloaded from a torrent-site (I've forgotten which one):

<This is a very nice audience recording of the Rolling Stones one week into their 1973 European tour, their last with Mick Taylor. I rate it as one of the top 5 recordings of the tour. The Stones are playing in front of their home town crowd and Mick J. is obviously pleased to be there. Great performance.

This recording has been previously released on at least 3 other CDs but this 2007 version on the "Devil's Breath" label is the best. It's supposedly from the master tape. Unfortunately Devil's Breath got the speed wrong and the silver CD runs too fast. In 2007 I cut the speed by 3% but after some comments on my July 2009 reseed, I have further cut the pitch an additional 2.5% to match the otherwise-inferior DAC release, which does run at about the right speed. Presented in FLAC 1.2.1. Includes artwork and cue sheet.

Rolling Stones
8th September: London, Wembley Empire Pool (1st show)
Devil's Breath DB 002, pitch corrected.

01. Brown Sugar
02. Gimme Shelter
03. Happy
04. Tumbling Dice
05. Star Star
06. Angie
07. You Can’t Always Get What You Want
08. Dancing With Mr. D.
09. Heartbreaker (Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo)
10. Midnight Rambler
11. Honky Tonk Women
12. All Down The Line
13. Rip This Joint
14. Jumping Jack Flash
15. Street Fighting Man>

I couldn't find it on the Buy/Sell/Trade board of this site. But maybe you can ask your question there if my answer doesn't suffice.

Btw: Did you ever hear this excellent version of Gimmie Shelter?

You can download it here if you want:

[www.iorr.org]

and it's also on the famous bootleg Brussels Affair, Definitive Edition (Rattle Snake (RS 015/16))

Posted by: kingkirby ()
Date: March 24, 2010 20:26

I always thought it was Jimi Hendrix, and the Chelsea drugstore was a reference to a 'Dr Robert' type London drug dealer...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 24, 2010 21:27

kleermaker
Satisfaction
Thanks in advance.

First things first!

Satisfaction, I have this info from the bootleg I downloaded from a torrent-site (I've forgotten which one):

<This is a very nice audience recording of the Rolling Stones one week into their 1973 European tour, their last with Mick Taylor. I rate it as one of the top 5 recordings of the tour. The Stones are playing in front of their home town crowd and Mick J. is obviously pleased to be there. Great performance.

This recording has been previously released on at least 3 other CDs but this 2007 version on the "Devil's Breath" label is the best. It's supposedly from the master tape. Unfortunately Devil's Breath got the speed wrong and the silver CD runs too fast. In 2007 I cut the speed by 3% but after some comments on my July 2009 reseed, I have further cut the pitch an additional 2.5% to match the otherwise-inferior DAC release, which does run at about the right speed. Presented in FLAC 1.2.1. Includes artwork and cue sheet.

Rolling Stones
8th September: London, Wembley Empire Pool (1st show)
Devil's Breath DB 002, pitch corrected.

01. Brown Sugar
02. Gimme Shelter
03. Happy
04. Tumbling Dice
05. Star Star
06. Angie
07. You Can’t Always Get What You Want
08. Dancing With Mr. D.
09. Heartbreaker (Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo)
10. Midnight Rambler
11. Honky Tonk Women
12. All Down The Line
13. Rip This Joint
14. Jumping Jack Flash
15. Street Fighting Man>

I couldn't find it on the Buy/Sell/Trade board of this site. But maybe you can ask your question there if my answer doesn't suffice.

Btw: Did you ever hear this excellent version of Gimmie Shelter?

You can download it here if you want:

[www.iorr.org]

and it's also on the famous bootleg Brussels Affair, Definitive Edition (Rattle Snake (RS 015/16))

Love to hear it kleermaker. That's my recording on Devil's Breath. I taped the show and it had been sitting around for years in my attic along with loads of other gigs I taped around 73-82. I re-discovered them about 3 years ago and that's how the CD surfaced.

Date: March 24, 2010 22:13

Well, Silver Dagger, you did a more than excellent job! You've certainly deserved your place in Stones heaven in afterlife!

Re: I was standing in line with my friend, Mr. Jimmy....Dedicated to Mr kleermaker>grinning smiley<
Date: March 24, 2010 22:49

Thank you guys for that!>grinning smiley<

Date: March 26, 2010 00:16

SwayStones
kleermaker
Boy oh boy, sometimes a myth or a fantasy is much more attractive than cold reality. My Mr Jimmy are two guys.....>>

Are you "two guys in one" Mr kleemaker ? cool smiley

>>I'm most familiar with the last one (your favourite), but the first two versions are certainly not bad imo, though the guitars lack some expressiveness and the song isn't apt for 'show'<<

To be honest, I 've chosen these versions on purpose ...

The 1st version isn't the worse "recent one " but it has nothing to do with the older/oldest ones .

I do like the sax on the 81 ' version,because it sounds nice to my ears & allowed Jagger to "do his show" -do you understand what I mean ?

>>6.30 on, so beautiful, simple and soft<<<
Yes ,indeed,but IMO it misses some harshness that is needed in order to avoid this song to be mellow.

What do you think ?

I guess I'm at least nine guys in one.

Another interesting thing that comes to my mind is the question of one's 'absolute age'. I mean: everyone has an absolute age, no matter how old one is. So no matter how old or young we are, all of us have an absolute, and thus constant, age that never changes. Mine is 18. Definitely.

Well having said that, back to the music. Of course I thought you'd chosen those versions on purpose.

I think I understand what you mean when you say <because it sounds nice to my ears & allowed Jagger to "do his show">. But this song is in my opinion one of the not so many that doesn't need any show by Jagger at all. Besides, I'm not so much 'into show' because for me the music comes on the first, second and third place.

Then the softness and harshness in relation to this song. Jagger himself has introduced YCAGWYW many times by saying "This is a sad song we're gonna do for you now" or similar words. So we're treating a sad song here, because I think Jagger is right. A sad song can contain some harshness because that's the surface of sadness: anger, resistance! But below that surface we'll find melancholy and both elements are in my favourite version. The part between let's say 6.30 and 7.30 is to me one of those rare Very Special Stones Moments. There's happening a lot at the same time. The whole band seems to play under the spell of the magic of the moment for a little while. I hear acquiescense in it, the essence of the song. There are the almost contrapuntal screams of Jagger, accompanied by the drum and Keith's guitar while Taylor still is playing softly. Here the somewhat paradoxal meaning of the song (You can't always get, but you might ...) is reproduced in a musically superb way. The mixed feelings couldn't be expressed better. And then there's that somewhat indefinite, confusing end. Listen to the second part of this performance several times, eyes closed, no distraction but concentration. At last you'll feel there's something very special going on and the song gets hooked on your soul. Guaranteed.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 26, 2010 01:44

kleermaker
Listen to the second part of this performance several times, eyes closed, no distraction but concentration. At last you'll feel there's something very special going on and the song gets hooked on your soul. Guaranteed.

thumbs up

Date: March 27, 2010 00:26

kleermaker
.... while Taylor still is playing softly.

... You Can't Always Get What You Want ...

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 27, 2010 00:36

Jimmy Page

Date: March 27, 2010 01:45

rooster
Jimmy Page

Everyone with a first and/or surname Jimmy, Jimi and James.

Date: March 29, 2010 16:14

kleermaker
The sax solo doesn't tell me anything. It's also way too long and it ends up in nothing. Keith's playing is great in this version, but Taylor has too less room to bring the essence of the song.

OK,the sax solo is a bit too long and comes as an unecessary staggered break .
But the solo on Brussels' video (at 4.04) is precisely why I prefer this version (seems like it is more "accurate" ?)
Plus Jagger doesn't let himself "go" enough .

Date: March 29, 2010 16:41

SwayStones
OK,the sax solo is a bit too long and comes as an unecessary staggered break .
But the solo on Brussels' video (at 4.04) is precisely why I prefer this version (seems like it is more "accurate" ?)
Plus Jagger doesn't let himself "go" enough .

Well we agree at least on the sax solo, though I say way too long and you "a bit too long". I can understand why the guitar solo seems more "accurate" to you being a Ronnie fan. But I miss the melancholy of the London version. And to me that's an essential part of the song. As for Jagger, sometimes he better doesn't let himself go. But I like his contrapuntal screams in the London version and the atmosphere the whole band produces there as a unity.

Date: April 2, 2010 12:16

kleermaker
I can understand why the guitar solo seems more "accurate" to you being a Ronnie fan.
I am not exactly what you call a Ronnie fan.
My very first "acquaintance" with the Stones was the GYYYO album so....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home