Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen...
Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: March 20, 2010 11:34

I guess Brussells wasnt filmed.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: March 20, 2010 16:06

Great news!!
Besides de audio vaults now the video vaults are also opened!!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 20, 2010 16:19

melillo
I saw LADIES AND GENTS in the theater also in the early 80s, it was strange my buddy and i were looking for a movie to go to and the movie list just read rolling stones 8pm, so we took a shot and it was L&G, amazing stuff

I think I saw it four times in a movie theatre between 1976 and 1982. It was a staple of the "midnight double-feature picture show" that was a big thing on weekends when and where I grew up. I probably would have seen it more than I did, but I had trouble getting my Led Zeppelin-loving friends to go with me, and I didn't want to look like a total DORK sitting there by myself at three in the morning watching a concert movie. With the advent of MTV and VCRs, midnight movies sort of disappeared in the early 80s, and because it never had an official VHS release, so did L&G.

"At three o'clock in the morning babe, well I'm singing my song for you"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-20 16:22 by tatters.

Date: March 20, 2010 16:58

whitem8
In High School I had an English teacher that was a rock fanatic. Classic rock, he loved The Stones, The Beatles, The Who, etc. So he gets Ladies and Gent. and shows it in his class on one of those old school projectors with the film in the big reel canisters. So of course me and a best friend proceed to skip most of our classes to watch the film over and over again! And he didn't bat an eye and lets us hang out! Thanks to Larry Frances for instilling the rock n' roll spirit into two wandering teens.

In high school we had to take a "Health" class, and one day our "health" teacher wanted to teach us all about MENTAL ILLNESS, so he brought in one of those horrible, green, metal school record players, and then proceeded to put on a Simon & Garfunkel album. True story.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 20, 2010 17:40

I can just hear that old needle bouncing on the vinyl skipping right into I Am A Rock...that is funny shit tatters!

Date: March 20, 2010 17:52

whitem8
I can just hear that old needle bouncing on the vinyl skipping right into I Am A Rock...that is funny shit tatters!

That's the song he played for us. That one and Richard Cory. "These songs are about people who are mentally ill. Mental illness is bad, mmmkay?"

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 21, 2010 00:41

Lorenz
you'll need more than just a bit of floor if Kent is gonna hit it grinning smiley winking smiley
Calling me fat? 'Cause I really prefer "husky". smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 21, 2010 01:34

Edith Grove
No wonder YouTube told UrbanSteel to take down his L&G footage!

Yep. The Stones' lawyers have also contacted us to take the L&G DVD off the Rocks Off tracker as well.

Maybe we should put a few more 'out of print' stuff up and find out that way if they're going to officially release any other archive footage!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 21, 2010 02:11

thats good news in a way, at least it means the vaults are being considered

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 21, 2010 13:25

Gazza
Edith Grove

Yep. The Stones' lawyers have also contacted us to take the L&G DVD off the Rocks Off tracker as well.

Maybe we should put a few more 'out of print' stuff up and find out that way if they're going to officially release any other archive footage!

Yeah, it's kind of funny how they seem to ignore all other bootlegs, when they could have said something like "take down ALL Stones videos or we'll sue".

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 21, 2010 13:28

studiorambo
Waiting when you've got an announcement/date is harder than hoping.

Indeed!
But then again, time flies by. I was waiting eagerly for the deluxe Ya-Ya's release, but I still haven't got around to purchasing it... Sometimes the hoping, waiting, predicting and discussing becomes more interesting than actually buying it when it comes out.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: March 21, 2010 13:35

JumpingKentFlash
Lorenz
you'll need more than just a bit of floor if Kent is gonna hit it grinning smiley winking smiley
Calling me fat? 'Cause I really prefer "husky". smiling smiley

I was gonna say well nourished! grinning smiley

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: March 21, 2010 13:36

klrkcr
I guess Brussells wasnt filmed.

Some was filmed for television. Nico Zentgraf: "17th October: semi-professional film ‘Rolling Stones Express’. Incl. footage from both Brussels-shows" I remember seeing it in black & white.

Date: March 21, 2010 13:47

I think it would be great if it were to be released- only going on the audio of the concert.One of their best.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: March 21, 2010 14:25

LieB

Indeed!
But then again, time flies by. I was waiting eagerly for the deluxe Ya-Ya's release, but I still haven't got around to purchasing it... Sometimes the hoping, waiting, predicting and discussing becomes more interesting than actually buying it when it comes out.

I hear ya on that, although I did buy the Ya-Ya's box - three times in fact, to get one that wasn't defective.

Date: March 22, 2010 01:52

LieB
Gazza
Edith Grove

Yeah, it's kind of funny how they seem to ignore all other bootlegs, when they could have said something like "take down ALL Stones videos or we'll sue".

Well, theyre not 'bootlegs' in the sense that they're being torrented and traded -but not sold. THAT is when a problem arises. Its a bit pointless to prevent the wider and free distribution of material which was taped or bootlegged decades ago in some cases.

Their main issue from my experience is with legally available material and copyright infringement. From what I've been advised, having more than 30 second samples of an officially released recording made available can lead to legal problems.

We've had L & G on that tracker several times over the last five years and it was never an issue before (because it wasnt in print) and, to be fair, I've no problem with being asked to remove it as they're going to release it officially.

Some artists dont allow their unofficial recordings to be shared on torrent sites at all - the Stones, to their credit, dont seem to mind. At least they contacted us first and asked us to remove it - some acts wouldnt even give you the chance to do so.

Date: March 22, 2010 01:53

melillo
thats good news in a way, at least it means the vaults are being considered

Well in this case, its concerning a DVD thats got past the 'considered' stage and IS being prepared for official release.

Within a day of that press release confirming that it would be coming out this year, we got the call to remove the DVD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-22 01:55 by Gazza.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 22, 2010 02:41

yes but maybe future archive footage will be taken seriously now that they have gotten their feet wet so to speak, maybe mick will realize that it is not taboo to delve into the past

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: March 22, 2010 03:23

Lets hope its a big seller and they keep the archives open for more!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 22, 2010 03:26

This is more good news
I still have my old ticket ...

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 22, 2010 05:19

The Quad film was phenomenal. I saw it 4 times with different sets of friends/fans in Chicago with the big Quad sound system. The experience was amazing. Yes, looking back now we know the sound was edited, but it was really a special presentation. They had the sound cranked up so you could actually feel it.

Of course, there are some fine bootlegs of this around, but I am really happy this one is going to finally get a shot as a official release. A top end 5.1 surround soundtrack, with a quality video feed will knock us all out.

Never forget, that those were the days when the music mattered.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 22, 2010 07:49

in '74--when i was 12--i saw it when we visited L.A. - century plaza theaters - everyone who bought a ticket was given a 45 of it's only rock roll/through the lonely nights

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: March 22, 2010 09:33

Excellent news!

Date: March 22, 2010 09:37

I sure hope this flick hits a cinema in my town. I can just imagine hearing the opening guitar notes of Brown Sugar fully cranked.

Date: March 22, 2010 11:08

I wonder if there might be a possible chance of any extras with the dvd?

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 22, 2010 12:22

klrkcr
I wonder if there might be a possible chance of any extras with the dvd?

Yes indeed! I'm hoping it will be more than a plain vanilla concert film. Given that they're going for a blu-ray release, then there's certainly the space to include extras.

There are the four or so existing outtakes that have circulated on the bootleg L&G.

As the concert is a compilation of several performances worth of footage, it's possible more than one complete show still exists. Some songs were apparently performed at these shows which didn't make it to the final cut so if they exist, they could be cut back into the film.

I'm sure there are all sorts of odds and sods they could include. Fingers crossed!

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: March 22, 2010 13:01

For now I don't have my hopes up for extra material on this release. Up til now, The Stones have not been very "fan" friendly in serving us with archive material.

My best bet is the movie as it was, but a digitally cleaned up transfer and with great sound (it is after all released on blu-ray)

I can't wait to see this, and this is just wat I may need to buy a blu ray player.

If there is bonus material than the better!

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 22, 2010 13:47

Yes extra material would be a bonus indeed! The Stones didn't seem to recognise the potential of DVD until Four Flicks.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: March 22, 2010 20:15

It's been a while since the last time I posted here, but I think the news that have surfaced over the last weeks are surprising enough to make me say "At last!!!"

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: March 23, 2010 00:51

Well it seems they are making an effort, which increases the possibility for positive surprise.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home