Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT-Trying To Get To You
Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: July 26, 2008 07:09

Good God, if I could sing like that! This performance really moved me, would be so nice to have him and Buddy Holly etc, still here today making wonderful music.

Re: OT-Trying To Get To You
Posted by: jigsawp ()
Date: July 26, 2008 10:43

Yeah - the whole 68 Comeback Special is fantastic especially the sitdown shows!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 26, 2008 16:38

Yeah, the sit down shows(both of them) are great even though its obvious Elvis is speeding his butt off. He cant hardly hold his head still for the first couple numbers.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 26, 2008 17:12

That "Trying To Get To You" from '68 is my favorite vocal performance by anybody, ever. Peter Gurlanick nailed it when he said that Elvis' voice on that song "bled".

What a f*cking singer.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 26, 2008 17:26

yeah scott, he reminds me of a hyperactive kid on this show! Maybe it was just too many peanut butter & banana sandwiches...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 26, 2008 20:40

HAR HAR!! The funny thing is in the 70s/early 80s(at least in Tx) there was a type of crystal meth nicknamed "peanut butter" because of its color and consistancy!! At least thats what I've been told-heh heh!!

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 1, 2008 05:45

Sad that he could have been the ultimate roots rocker, but opted for Vegas. Drugs and bad management, the perfect storm.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 1, 2008 08:01

Even 8 years later....the voice remained. This is from Dec 28 1976 (8 months before his death)...from a series of shows amongst Elvis fans that are labeled as some of Elvis' last best shows of his life. For whatever reason, he was in incredible high spirits during that last week of December and these last shows of the leg, show the Elvis that we all remembered during a period when at times, he was unrecognizable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-01 08:02 by Justin.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 1, 2008 09:10

"the Elvis that we all remembered"
Maybe not people like (ie) Kent & Lorenz, not even born by then.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 1, 2008 09:42

Baboon Bro
"the Elvis that we all remembered"
Maybe not people like (ie) Kent & Lorenz, not even born by then.

Well nor was I born. But for those who have never been exposed to this part of Elvis' life (the overweight, slurring and disoriented performer as he was at times during the last years)...the "Elvis we all remember" would be the Elvis we're used to seeing in clips like the above from the comeback show, or the 50's Elvis...or whatever version that can easily be found in mainstream culture.

There are more images around of Elvis like this:

Than there are of this:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1421
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home