Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T Moby Dick and Whole Lotta Love guitar sound
Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: July 31, 2008 15:13

What kind of effects do you need to achieve that sound that solo guitars do?Fuzz,overdrive?

Re: O.T Moby Dick and Whole Lotta Love guitar sound
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 31, 2008 15:21

A small tube amp driven to the point of surrender and possibly a "treble booster".
[60s type "Treble boosters" are much understood. They don't accent the high treble so much as emphasise the upper mids and boost the overall signal level into overdrive territory...sort of a precurser to the legendary Tube Screamer]

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: July 31, 2008 17:05

I remember reading that some guitar parts on Led Zep II were played through a Vox AC30 but I'm not sure which tracks.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 31, 2008 18:13

Those guitar tones have been debated for decades, noone knows for sure what was used! Some people will swear on their life that such and such was used ete ect, but noone can really say for sure what is being used just by listening.

Page has mentioned using a solid state vox(either a super beetle, or a UL-7120) for WLL, and an engineer present during the moby dick session etc says he only used marshall amps during the session.

Anyway, basically you need a fairly tight sounding fuzz pedal, the Throbak sTone Bender will get you very close rather easily, it's a fast track to 68/69 page tones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-31 18:16 by His Majesty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1316
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home