Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"I'm Free" on the SAL Soundtrack
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 23, 2008 02:11

Very nice. I incorporated the extra songs on the 2 CD edition into a playlist, and it works well.

Re: "I'm Free" on the SAL Soundtrack
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 23, 2008 03:28

Not a bad rendition at all really and I have to say 'I'm Free' is my favorite Stones song, A much better version in my view though is the one from 'Stripped.' The guitar interplay is superlative and Charlie's drums swing mightily. My favorite all time version though has to be the dark and forboding version they played during the '69 tour. The melody is almost in direct contrast to the lyrics. It was only later in the tour that they played it more up tempo during the medley with 'Under My Thumb'

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 23, 2008 07:08

ChrisM
I have to say 'I'm Free' is my favorite Stones song,

never thought I'd read that! You make an interesting case, I'll have to check out the Stripped version again. The original studio cut is a scream--they screw it up several times! Those must have been the days...

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: July 23, 2008 07:56

I really like the SAL version a lot, which for me was a surprise. The original was never one of my favourites - too Beatles-ish ("Love me, hold me"). Reminded me of those annoying accusations that the Stones were copying the Beatles. Strange how a live version years later can revitalize a song that was so forgettable when it first came out.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 23, 2008 12:49

one of my fav too. Nice on SAL but i like the original full guitar driven version better. More acid. Cant hear any beatlesism in it but the fact that it is a 1965 pop song. A little acid pop anthem. I'd love to hear it played more aggressively

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 23, 2008 12:57

I like it very much,bassplayer !

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: July 23, 2008 15:56

Good version but IMO not as good as the Stripped version. Would suit perfectly for the B-stage on a possibly future tour

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 23, 2008 16:15

I much prefer the SAL version to Stripped.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 23, 2008 17:00

[*toungue in mouth*]

Does anybody like:

The Postal Service Remix,
Moby Remix,
Hot Chip Remix
or the FAtboy Slim Remix?

[/*toungue in mouth*]

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 23, 2008 17:17

I've always found this song baffling. As in, why do they bother with it?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 23, 2008 17:45

because they took 2 minutes in 1965 to write it, 2 and a half to record it!

Date: July 23, 2008 17:49

Well sure - but it's not any good at all! It's one of the worst 2 minutes in the history of rock!

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: July 24, 2008 00:01

Thanks ChrisM for your observation on 'I'm Free' from '69 through today! I've listened to all those versions, and totally agree with you.

As for the idea that 'I'm Free' is trash, no way. Admittedly it took M and K two minutes to write a new song based on that old guitar riff from 'The Jerk' by the Larks, but yo, it's STILL a great song in my opinion.

And yeah, even with Charlie's struggles on the drumkit (because they reportedly THOUGHT they were laying a work track down - they didn't know the record company was going to release it!), to moi it's a classic.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 24, 2008 00:05

It's not that bad of a song - they have way, WAY worse.

I've always enjoyed it. It's light, sure, but so what?
It's got sing-a-long-ability - something gravely lacking in post Tattoo-You stuff.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: July 24, 2008 07:52

It's always just been, for me, too folky pop.

What's with the remixes? Like the TV commercial?

I dunno. It's one of a few Stones songs that I've never been able to like, get into, etc...

Who knows. Maybe I'll get it out and play it a bit.

It's certainly no Gomper or The Lantern or Sing This Song or Rock And A Hard Place...

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: July 24, 2008 08:01

maumau
one of my fav too. Nice on SAL but i like the original full guitar driven version better. More acid. Cant hear any beatlesism in it but the fact that it is a 1965 pop song. A little acid pop anthem. I'd love to hear it played more aggressively
I love the song too. But no Beatleism? Well-------

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 24, 2008 18:03

agree with Chris about the '69 version....clearly one of the highlights of that sensational tour. some nights MT just goes OFF on that tune, much to the apparent dismay of MJ, who at times cuts him off.

at the beacon show it sounded really good in person; not so much on the cd. one of those "had to be there" things or something.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: July 24, 2008 19:50

The Hyde Park version is superb.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1628
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home