Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Most valuable sideperson
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 16, 2010 14:47

listen to billy preston's B3 solo on i got the blues off sticky fingers .it will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck .i also mention BOBBY KEYS because he is DA MAN blowing that sax like no one else !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 16, 2010 15:28

Ronne Wood

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 16, 2010 16:07

From 66-76 Spanish Tony. For the last 30 years Prince Rupert Loewenstein. grinning smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 16, 2010 16:35

Silver Dagger
From 66-76 Spanish Tony. For the last 30 years Prince Rupert Loewenstein. grinning smiley

...not to forget Freddy Sessler.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 16, 2010 16:43

Nicky Hopkins!
What happened to Jim Price btw...?

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 16, 2010 16:59

Ian Steward by miles for me (with all my respect to the long line of all the other truly great musician) - he not only contributed to the music, he was a member of the family and his opinions were always very much respected by the Stones, that's a well known fact. Of course it would not be fair to mention Nicky Hopkins, Bobby Keys, Billy Preston, But Ian simply wins.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 16, 2010 17:32

Ian Stewart - of course. He was there from the beginning.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: March 16, 2010 17:41

Maybe not the most valuable sideperson in the end, but I'd like to mention Ernie Watts on the 81 US tour. Thanks to his long melodic stitches the guitars really could take off.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: tommyquinn ()
Date: March 16, 2010 17:44

Nicky Hopkins was cool until he became a damn Scientologist. (And if you do not see the problem with that, Google Scientolgy and see the horrors for yourself).

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 16, 2010 17:50

The Greek
listen to billy preston's B3 solo on i got the blues off sticky fingers .it will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck

That solo kills!!!! smoking smiley

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 16, 2010 17:51

Greg
Maybe not the most valuable sideperson in the end, but I'd like to mention Ernie Watts on the 81 US tour. Thanks to his long melodic stitches the guitars really could take off.

right on! EW gets slagged here from time-to-time - but his eventual inclusion on that tour helped define it and as you said propelled ron and keith into some very interesting musical territory....

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: March 16, 2010 19:22

Bill Wyman and the roadies lining up the groupies

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 16, 2010 23:52

NICOS
Bileeboy it does't matter it's Jack Nitzschehot smiley

doohhhhh

Date: March 16, 2010 23:54

Richard from Canada
In terms of most valuable - Chuck wins easily. He has far more input than any of the earlier session players ever had.

respectfully disagree here. chuck came in after almost everything important was released by the stones years and years and years before chuck. i would rate him mediocre sesh guy and the absolute vanilla ruination of much of the stones live shows....musical director egghead or not....
possibly you're a younger fan! and have chuck mostly as a frame of reference for live shows u've loved...can surely understand and appreciate if that's the case...but historically and musically chucks contribution not even rated post nicky, stu and jack...really feel strongly about this...not a diss on you !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-16 23:55 by Beelyboy.

Date: March 17, 2010 00:07

it was nice having prestons little set ruin the pace and beauty of a stones concert...

nice in that u get mega pee break, enuf time to read the newspaper, have dirty times under the balcony, have a meal and a drink and another pee and slowly walk back to your seat and that horrible horrible noise is finally over...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 17, 2010 07:10

Nicky was a scientologist! WOW! I am shocked. I never knew he was in that cult.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 17, 2010 07:50

Beelyboy
it was nice having prestons little set ruin the pace and beauty of a stones concert...

nice in that u get mega pee break, enuf time to read the newspaper, have dirty times under the balcony, have a meal and a drink and another pee and slowly walk back to your seat and that horrible horrible noise is finally over...

LOL...I saw it in '75 and didn't think it was that bad, though I am in the camp who believes his influence became way to big in the group. Ollie Brown and Charlie got a nice rapport going I think. I may be a little charitable in my opinion, as it was my first-ever Stones show, and my excitement made up for a multitude of musical sins.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 17, 2010 09:59

Without a question - Nicky Hopkins.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: March 17, 2010 13:05

Stu, Hopkins and Ry Cooder (Without him, I doubt Keith's playing on Let It Bleed would have been that great).

Of course, Bobby Keys and Billy Preston also were important, although I liked Mac better as a keyboardist.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 17, 2010 13:05

S.T.P
Nicky Hopkins!
What happened to Jim Price btw...?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 17, 2010 13:25

Michael Cohl

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 17, 2010 13:41

rOBBIE sHAKESPEARY * sLY

Date: March 17, 2010 21:13

DandelionPowderman
Stu, Hopkins and Ry Cooder (Without him, I doubt Keith's playing on Let It Bleed would have been that great).

Of course, Bobby Keys and Billy Preston also were important, although I liked Mac better as a keyboardist.

whoa good call! i totally forgot ry for a minute here shame shame shame on me.

they recorded (according to ry) "EVErytHING" he could play at the time, dozens of hours of tape i believe. slightly before taylor's asension Ry had made an incredible HUGE stamp on keith's tunings, slide, american country blues style....think he had huge influence on bleed and after actually. yes thanks for remembering ry and reminding me.

ry is so brilliant; new project astoundingly good!! He felt pissed and mishandled by the glims for years but i think he's past it....he was incredible incredible influence on keith....

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 18, 2010 01:21

I would say Bobby Keyes, up until 1997; I think he's lost a bit of his edge since then. I didn't mind Billy Preston as much as some of you did and I always loved Nicky Hopkins' style. Recently, I'd say Chuck has become the most valuable non-Stones member.....and yes, even musically!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 18, 2010 01:48

Ian Stewart: he bought so much more to the Stones than his excellent boogie woogie piano skills.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2615
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home