Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Your Favorite Stones Lineup?
Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: March 14, 2010 05:27

What lineup of the Rolling Stones do you folks come across as "most definitive"?

In my opinion, a lot of people remember the lineup of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts for as this incarnation had spanned the years 1974-1993, it seems to be the best known incarnation of the group prior to the 21st century.

The original lineup of this band circa 1963 was Jagger, Richards, Wyman and Watts with guitarist/multi-instrumentalist Brian Jones and soon-to-be-sessioneer keyboardist Ian Stewart (he was dismissed from the performing version of the group because his looks didn't fit in with the band's style; however, he continued to perform with the band live until his death in December 1985).

This first lineup lasted until 1969; former Bluesbreakers guitarist Mick Taylor replaced Jones one month before the latter's unexpected (and mysterious) death. Taylor quit the band at the end of 1974, and Ron Wood became the new replacement. Woody had contributed 12-string guitar on "It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)" before becoming an official member of the Stones just over a year later.

However, the version of the group less Bill Wyman (often with Darryl Jones on bass, live in concert; Jagger recently learned the bass guitar because of Woody's sporadic contributions on the instrument to the Stones' 2005 "A Bigger Bang" album) is still intact to this day, although I don't know about Woody's future with the Stones right now.

~Ben

Re: Your Favorite Stones Lineup?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 14, 2010 05:37

I don't understand how your comment about Mick learning bass has to do with Ron Wood's sporadic contributions to A Bigger Bang, as he is not the group's bass player. Please explain.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 14, 2010 05:46

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 14, 2010 06:06

Yeah, they're the guys. They're both guilty on all counts.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: March 14, 2010 06:39

71Tele
I don't understand how your comment about Mick learning bass has to do with Ron Wood's sporadic contributions to A Bigger Bang, as he is not the group's bass player. Please explain.
According to Wikipedia - yeah, I know, not a reliable source for info - Mick played bass on a few songs from that album as the source describes at "part and parcel with Ron Wood's lesser participation."

But Keith Richards can play bass, too. Even Mick Taylor did, notably, on the song "Tumbling Dice."

~Ben

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 14, 2010 08:09

BrianJones1969
71Tele
According to Wikipedia - yeah, I know, not a reliable source for info - Mick played bass on a few songs from that album as the source describes at "part and parcel with Ron Wood's lesser participation."

But Keith Richards can play bass, too. Even Mick Taylor did, notably, on the song "Tumbling Dice."

~Ben

I know Mick played bass on ABB, but it didn't have much to do with Ron Wood. Mick and Keith recorded many of those songs with only Charlie adding drums, so there was a need for them to double on other instruments.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: March 14, 2010 09:49

I think it's really difficult to choose between the Jones era and the Taylor era, although with Mick Taylor the Stones reached their peak as live, and perhaps studio artists. However, i really did miss the breadth and range of styles within the Brian Jones era, and many of the Stones most classic singles belong to pre 1969.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 14, 2010 14:30

for me it´s if at all difficult to choose between the jones and wood era.

i prefer the current one with wood.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 14, 2010 15:18

Its not hard for me to decide the band was at their peak artistically with Taylor. Everyone pretty much knows thats my favorite era. That being said,there was no bigger fan of Ron Woods than myself even more so for his Faces and solo work than The Stones. And of course you cant have any of it without the first" gold-en era". So its just a minor thing to me as I want to enjoy the complete history.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 14, 2010 15:21

Mick, Keith, Brain, Bill and Charlie.

In most peoples eyes, the Stones are a '60's group', so surely it has to be the above?

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: March 14, 2010 16:08

You're new around here, aren't you? eye rolling smiley

All the eras have their virtues but 1972 was their absolute peak as recording artists and concert performers.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 14, 2010 16:21

what ever lineup gets on stage and plays a show is my fav

Date: March 14, 2010 16:22

When I think of the Stones, I think of Mick, Keith, Brian, Bill, and Charlie.

In terms of musical accomplishments, I would suggest that they were at their best during the Taylor era, followed by Brian's eclectic musical abilities.

In terms of positive "feel-good" vibes - good times - I always think of the current time-frame with Ronnie.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: March 14, 2010 16:35

Rockman

Where did you get the bottom lineup photos of Mick?

Oh, by the way, the Brian Jones era is easily my favorite.

Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-14 16:36 by originalstones.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 14, 2010 16:40

the Brian Jones years

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: March 14, 2010 17:20

Brian Jones era

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 14, 2010 17:27

The 2011 one.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 14, 2010 17:32

Well, the Taylor-era of course, if only because of those wonderful boots. BB and especially LIB aren't Brian albums, and YaYa's, SF and EOMS belong also to their very best. My second choice is an easy one: the Brian Jones-era, without any doubt.

The decline, studio as well as live, set in with the coming of Ron Wood, already during 1974 (the weak song IORR on the album of the same name was a bad indication indeed). Since then the horrible stadium shows and weak albums moved swiftly. For me the Stones are, just like Mozart, history. But there are many gems in their legacy.

PS 1: I don't blame Ron Wood for the decline.

PS 2: My expectations as for the new Exile edition are not high.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: March 14, 2010 17:53

My favorite line up is the original with Brian Jones. I say this for many reasons..First the music..The band was cranking out Hit after Hit..and still sticking to their first love THe Blues. The music, the photography,the bands ideas were at their best in the 60s.

My next favorite line up was with Mick Taylor...Taylor was an outstanding guitarist who pushed The Stones(with his great playing) into another realm. With Taylor The Stones could now compete with any guitar Blues Rock based band:which was important in the 70s. Bands like Zeppelin,Mountain,Allman Brothers,Derek & The Dominos,Santana,Freddie King,Ten Years After,The Faces(yes with Ron Wood who could really play back then)and many others all had great guitar players who could really extend the song by soloing, this was important in the 70s. Of course I love the 70s albums as well..Sticky to Its Only R & R Great Stuff!

The Ron Wood Era has had many peaks & Valleys. Ron's drinking was the cause of many a bad note and laim solos when the Rest of the Stones were really cooking and looking to put the cherry on the cake.
He played great with The Stones from 75-78, then the peaks and valleys began. He was not very good on the 82 tour and was pretty laim on the Steel Wheels tour as well. He was ok on the Voodoo & Bridges Tours. I thought he played well on this last tour...Most noteably his slide playing on "You Got The Silver"
But just listen to him butcher songs like..Sway,Can't You Hear Me Knocking..Its Awful..You know its the Booze cause at one time he was really a good player.

Charlie

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 14, 2010 21:51

1969-1974 without doubt

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 14, 2010 21:53

1962 -1968
1969 -1974
1975 -2007

Date: March 15, 2010 00:46

Whatever period you like the most, the Stones reached their artistic and musical peak during the period 1968 (Beggars Banquet) until the end of 1973 (GHS, the European Tour 1973). That doesn't mean that they didn't create masterpieces before BB or after 1973 (Time Waits For No One). But during that period they matured as composers as well as musicians. No doubt about that.

Compare it to Mozart. When asked what was his best period (well, he died at 35, so there are much less Mozart years than Rolling Stones years) I would say: his last years, though I can easily mention some masterpieces from his early period as a composer that are equal to or almost equal to the mature masterpieces of his latest years. But there are certainly people who prefer the music of the 'young' Mozart to that of the 'old' Mozart, especially in his own time.

Conclusion: favourite and best period are two different things. In the case of the Stones sometimes different periods. Besides, there are many people whose favourite period is defined by sentimental reasons and not by artistic/musical ones.

Date: March 15, 2010 00:51

I go for sentimental reasons

Date: March 15, 2010 00:57

NICOS
I go for sentimental reasons

Aha, that's okay of course NICOS, but it proves my analysis to be right.

There are undoubtedly also people who go for the Wood-era because they feel loyal to Wood because of his service to the band for so many years. Well, I won't qualify that 'service' now, but I can understand those feelings.

Date: March 15, 2010 01:00

I will react tommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmrow as mmmmmmmmmmy keyboard is defect

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: March 15, 2010 03:09

The Brian Jones years. They were so interesting back then. Great songs and amazing productions.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: March 15, 2010 03:44

68-74

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 15, 2010 04:20

kleermaker
Whatever period you like the most, the Stones reached their artistic and musical peak during the period 1968 (Beggars Banquet) until the end of 1973 (GHS, the European Tour 1973). That doesn't mean that they didn't create masterpieces before BB or after 1973 (Time Waits For No One). But during that period they matured as composers as well as musicians. No doubt about that.

Conclusion: favourite and best period are two different things. In the case of the Stones sometimes different periods. Besides, there are many people whose favourite period is defined by sentimental reasons and not by artistic/musical ones.

Musical maturity can be a negative thing especially in pop/rock music.

kleermaker
BB and especially LIB aren't Brian albums

Brian plays on about 8 of the 10 songs on Beggars Banquet and on both sides of the JJF/COTM single.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-15 04:44 by His Majesty.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 15, 2010 04:55

mick looks scared sh>tless in those 67 mugs lol

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 15, 2010 08:55

BAH! It's Jagger-Jones-Richards-Wyman-Watts...and 1965...1972 lineup is stonecold compared to 1965..

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1522
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home