Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Maybe Mick just does not want to anymore ?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 13, 2010 14:34

Greetings everyone !

Well, I'll admit I'm one of those people who wants another tour or at least a few more shows.
Needless to say I was disappointed when the "no tour" news came out.

It seems that most of the conversation about the possibility of new shows relate to Keith and Ronnie's abilities to play, and even finish another tour.

Has anyone here ever thought that Mick simply may not want to go through the process of staging another tour?
I think most of us here realize that Mick carries the most responsibility in organizing the Stones' activities.

I was only reminded of this possibility just before creating this thread.
For some reason, I started thinking about the last show I saw, in Boise, Idaho.

I arrived in Boise the day before the Las Vegas show and learned of Mick's father's passing on the local Sunday newscast.
Everyone wondered if the show would go on as flowers & signs piled up on the fence outside of the arena.
I lost my own father less than two months before the Boise show, so I had a pretty good idea of how Mick must have been feeling during those days.
Obviously, the show did go on, as well as the rest of the tour.

I traveled to Boise alone and thoroughly enjoyed the show, but what I remembered most about the show actually had nothing to do with the music.

I was lucky enough to get a FOS seat right at stage level on Keith's side.
At one point during the show, Mick was standing right in front of me, doing his usual arm gestures trying to get everyone's hands in the air.
I think I was the only one in my area that did not have his hands waving above my head.
Mick stayed on that side of the stage for an unusually long time, and we made eye contact for (what seemed to me) to be quite a while.

I'm guessing that Mick was wondering why I wasn't "getting into it" like the rest of the crowd, but in reality I was simply in awe of what this guy was doing.
Mick could have easily postponed, or perhaps cancelled shows, but here he was carrying on while planning his father's services from thousands of miles away.

My point here is that Mick has done an incredible amount of "legwork" to keep the Stones rolling, but I don't think this is talked about very much.
Of course, during the ups & downs of the past 48 or so years, various band members have done their part in keeping things together, but IMO, Mick has provided the vast majority of the glue that has kept it together.

Whether or not we see any more shows, of course, depends on a number of factors.
Perhaps the biggest factor, though, will be whether Mick is willing to take another couple of years of his life to organize further Stones shows.

Re: Maybe Mick just does not want to anymore ?
Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 13, 2010 14:44

all the work is one thing i can imagine he just doesn´t want to do anymore.

another thing is, he is the guy who gets all the attention but also all the critics if a tour doesn´t sell or isn´t welcomed well by critics.
he has to stand in front of the stage and entertain the people. he has to be the one the people want to see. he is not allowed to not look good and sexy.

i also think mick is the only one who would maybe wisely stop before becoming what chuck berry is these days.
keith contrary to that would probably go on till he is 90 (well, maybe) even if by that time he could only play one note within 2 hours.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 13, 2010 16:45

I think that Charlie doesn't want to do it anymore, not a world tour. A few months ago, there was a rumor that Watts had quit then Charlie said that he didn't care if the Stones decided to stop. It seems to me that Charlie, at the moment, isn't really in the mood for some Rolling Stones action. Hopefully in the near future, he will change his mind and he will agree to participate with whatever the Stones decide to do next.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 13, 2010 17:05

The Stones do not seem to like to spend too much time together. The desire for the kick out of the concerts and for money brought them together often, and for a very long time it functioned almost perfectly. They could still make money, but it is not sure that they still can make real big money. After hundreds of shows since 1989 the thrill may not be what it used to be, they are in their sixties, so I do not think that another tour is probable.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 13, 2010 17:36

Perhaps Mick has heard or read about Keith's varying ways on stage for the Bang tour - in general - and has decided that that was certainly bad enough to make it stop. Perhaps he realises something. By not saying anything he gets to avoid "the last time" and any kind of "This is our final tour - better be there" kind of trap. They could easily back out of doing "the last time" by just saying "Ahh, wal, no plans to tour thisss year, check back next year" like they did this year. And next thing you know, a few more years have gone by and it's just not going to work and the Bang tour indeed was the last time.

No matter of that, I bet he is tired of all the work it entails. The work alone for getting a tour talked about and initial ideas is more work than recording an album these days. Since Charlie helps with that, perhaps that is a big reason why a tour was scrapped. Charlie undoubtedly thought in his muffled speak, "Oh christ, another fukcing tour. Forget it."

Another thing is, they've done it. A lot. All of it. And they've made more money than exists on the planet.

I sure as hell can see why he and others wouldn't want to bother. That makes sense. Just tired. Enough is enough. Who knows. It is a good guess though, that Mick has had enough.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 13, 2010 17:52

i think to the extent mick may not be interested is more related to his recognition that his partners in crime ain't capable of it no mo'....mick ain't no dummy...

Date: March 13, 2010 17:56

i agree with most of what was said.

"And they've made more money than exists on the planet."

here i disagree. comparatively there are many others who have more.

when brad pitt gets 20 mio for 2 weeks work for a movie and gets even more for endorsement deals. chances are that lot´s of micks best friends have a lot more, which he surely hates.

the stones always have to divide and then have families, children and childrens children, who all will never make nowhere near that much money and who will need that money for many years to come long after micks passing.

so i think money is still a big factor for them and my only hope for more work from the stones.

Date: March 13, 2010 18:04

stoneswashed77
the stones always have to divide and then have families, children and childrens children, who all will never make nowhere near that much money and who will need that money for many years to come long after micks passing.

oh, dear!!! maybe someone here could start a collection....

Date: March 13, 2010 18:10

mick will do that on the next tour, that´s exactly what i am talking about.
at least that´s what he did before. did you also donate somthing on the abb tour?

i can see you are happy with your 1000$ every month, and that´s great for you.

Date: March 13, 2010 18:12

stoneswashed77
at least that´s what he did before. did you also donate somthing on the abb tour?

could you translate this into something intelligent people might understand?

Date: March 13, 2010 18:14

i could but i was talking to you!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 13, 2010 19:12

StonesTod
stoneswashed77

could you translate this into something intelligent people might understand?

Well, I'm asking that too. Good question of StonesTod.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 13, 2010 19:28

I think mick would be up for it, but maybe he thinks his mates are not for various reasons

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 13, 2010 19:39

If Mick looks around him and realizes that most of his time and energy would be spent keeping Ron Wood sober and worrying about whether Keith can make it through an entire song, he will undoubtedly pass. I am sure he is also aware of Charlie's complete lack of interest in another world tour. That is why there was the "no tour in 2010" press release. He is leaving things open for later in case circumstances change (as they have in the past). I predict we will see some carefully planned shows rather than the usual tours.

I humbly suggest that all of us need to grow up and stop thinking of the Rolling Stones in terms of tours, and let them grow up as well. Enough.

Date: March 13, 2010 20:13

stoneswashed77
i could but i was talking to you!

good point - explain this so that even a moron like me can understand, then, please?

Date: March 13, 2010 20:56

cool down stonestod.

what i say is that i can imagine to make more money is still very important to mick.

it doesn´t matter if you or anybody thinks he has a lot. the question is what does he think about it. i am sure he wants and also needs more.

Posted by: MICK_JAGGER ()
Date: March 13, 2010 21:03

Mick is a smart business man. He wants to keep doing it, and loves his job, they all do. But they did do a VERY long, grueling tour, which broke all the records, and is the highest grossing tour of all time.

however, Mick knows the market, he knows the touring industry, the market is saturated right now after all of the rolling stones shows, plus the bad economy is just on recovery. the demand has to be there, and they also need breathing time to do non-stones things. they need a REASON to tour, theyve already done a greatest hits tour, they need a platform on which to sell shows

also, ronnie keeps screwing up in his personal life, right now is just not the time for the stones to tour, they know that. i bet it will be next year,but if not, definitely 2012.

Date: March 13, 2010 21:05

stoneswashed77
cool down stonestod.

what i say is that i can imagine to make more money is still very important to mick.

it doesn´t matter if you or anybody thinks he has a lot. the question is what does he think about it. i am sure he wants and also needs more.

oh, is that what you were trying to say? ok, i'll ignore your earlier hieroglyphics-looking post now....

Posted by: phd ()
Date: March 13, 2010 21:33

My thnk is that they are in great intropection days. How can we make it, eg to be still considered as the greatest ever been, as we do not have released a decent top album since decades, as we do not have one at hand ( just opening the vaults), as we cannot undertake a 100 or more shows in a 2 years row ( which insurance company would sign on that) and as "younger"bands become somewhere "nostalgic"bands as we, as we still have not found something as outstanding as a 360° stage. but still want to gratify fans all over the world with overtime standards. I am sure still desire to sing JJF and others likes.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 13, 2010 21:37

71Tele

I humbly suggest that all of us need to grow up and stop thinking of the Rolling Stones in terms of tours, and let them grow up as well. Enough.

Exactly. People are so used to the formula of the last 20 years that they somehow take it for granted (that there will be another huge tour every few yaers.) But it needs to end some day, and I think we have reached that point now. They are hitting 70 years, for god sake!

I spent last night drinking wine in a good company and watching STONES AT THE MAX - a document that offers a nice view to the time when the formula and concept of the last 20 years was just invented. In one way everything in 1989/90 was like in 2005/6/7 - the whole setting: songs, arrangemnets, stadion-look, Jagger's calculated movemnets, etc - but in the other way there was a striking difference. In MAX they looked so "young", vital and energetic. They were seemingly rehearsed hard and were a kind of inspired for playing "straight" - with strict, rigor, "original" arrangements, etc. even though sometimes they sounded a bit too forced to the given formula, but it didn't matter really. The guitars were reduced from the 1981/82 wilderness but both Ronnie and especially Keith played very strongly - they shined beautifully in their limited role. Everone was (and I can understand why, for example, Bill Wyman prefers this tour much over 1981/82 tour). There was no signs of any kind of weaknesses. Quite contrary; they were in a peak form as players - they had just decided to play this 'new' strict way. (One can, of course, complain about the merits of "Vegas-style" and lack of spontaneity, etc. but that's totally irrelevant.)

But during the last twenty years the band has really played that formula to death, and I think the key players are not anymore able to play their given role. With Jagger - and Charlie - you might not so easily see the difference, but I can only imagine how much concentration and energy those huge tours demand from both of them. Thee is difference if you are 45 or 65. Plus all the "leg-work" needed for a tour. One can only imagine the amount of labour of all kind things to be taken care of Mick does.

The premise of this thread is a valid one: because Mick - and Charlie - are so total pros - incredible professionals - they never gave us b-level performance: they always keep up the standard: In fact, they cannot show weakness - if they do, the whole show collapses. Just to think of the Stones show of Charlie losing the rhythm constantly or Mick his physical presence....

Yeah, we tend to see the weaknesses of the guitar players, and we seem to somehow forgive them. But at the same time we tend to see Mick and Charlie's quality standard as granted. It could be the case that we will never be in a position when those two guys play below the standard. They won't allow that happen.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-13 21:48 by Doxa.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 13, 2010 22:01

stoneswashed77
i agree with most of what was said.

"And they've made more money than exists on the planet."

here i disagree. comparatively there are many others who have more.

It's just a silly reference that they certainly could do without making another dime yet alone million dollars in the rest of their lives. Seeing that they've made half a BILLION dollars since the beginning of the Steel Wheels tour up to, what, was that, after Licks I think it was - before A Bigger Bang. If that's the case then since then it's been more.

If they can't then they are the biggest idiots on the planet.

Date: March 13, 2010 22:40

of course they could do with what they have now if they had to, NEVER said they couldn´t!!

but they could also milk the cow a little more.

500 million was the turnover for years of touring. you know the difference between turnover and profit. what mick gets in the end is less than what madonna or springsteen makes within a couple of months.

and i am not sure abb even made profit or the exile reissue will make profit.

that is still a lot of money of course, but this thread is about whether mick has no more motivation doing it. and i am just speculating that he still wants to make more money and that this could be a reason for him to do it one more time.

but i can also imagine he will not tour if he feels some bandmembers can´t perform anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-13 22:50 by stoneswashed77.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 14, 2010 01:16

I believe that there will be some kind of tour and that Mick is not ready to stop what he loves to do just yet.

Sadly, we have to face that Ronnie Wood and the lovable Keith are often UNPROFESSIONAL; they've made a long lifestyle of that. I have reason to believe that Keith is not ready to retire from playing live...unless medically he has to.

Ronnie seems like a huge question mark to me; luckily there are many fine guitar players who would fit into the Stones.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 14, 2010 01:35

To me, Charlie is a moot issue because he's not wanted to tour for a while, seems to me, but he will go along with whatever Mick and the boys decide.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 14, 2010 01:37

I think there are many reasons why the Stones won't do another massive tour.

1. You are correct Mick may not want to do the work required business wise and physically the man has to slow down at some point. maybe he won't say he can't do it anymore.
2. It seems clear Charlie has had enough.
3. Keith and Ronnie who knows what kind of shape they are in.
4. These guys are all getting old a huge tour does not make sense unless they just want to make money. At their ages do any of them really want to dedicate another 1-2 years to The Rolling Stones??

I hope they empty the vaults!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 14, 2010 03:14

its easier for keith and ronnie, all they have to do is pretty much just show up, mick has to run the finances and run the show, much hARDER job for mick than it is for the two clowns that drink , smoke and pose

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: March 14, 2010 03:26

The boys will tour again. Just wait. :-)

Date: March 14, 2010 04:35

melillo
its easier for keith and ronnie, all they have to do is pretty much just show up, mick has to run the finances and run the show, much hARDER job for mick than it is for the two clowns that drink , smoke and pose

This is true. Mick carries the show these days....

I think Mick wants to tour again when the time is right...

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: March 15, 2010 00:05

I agree.
Now let's speculate based on passed history. How much do Mick and Keith protect Charlie? Case in point, Charlie had issues with drugs in the mid 80's, 3 years worth if I'm not mistaken. It was hush hush and if wasn't exactly public knowledge as far as I can recall. No tour, no new material until Charlie was in shape to go on the road.

ABB tour, wasn't it Keith who had to talk Charlie into going on the road one more time?

Then Sept 2009 a rumor that Charlie had quit the band. Let's assume for a moment the rumor was in fact true (yes, I know Charlie has denied he quit). Rather than get into explanations to the media it's easier for the band to just fade away into the sunset.

Just one man's opinion.

rollmops
I think that Charlie doesn't want to do it anymore, not a world tour. A few months ago, there was a rumor that Watts had quit then Charlie said that he didn't care if the Stones decided to stop. It seems to me that Charlie, at the moment, isn't really in the mood for some Rolling Stones action. Hopefully in the near future, he will change his mind and he will agree to participate with whatever the Stones decide to do next.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 15, 2010 10:33

71Tele
If Mick looks around him and realizes that most of his time and energy would be spent keeping Ron Wood sober and worrying about whether Keith can make it through an entire song, he will undoubtedly pass. .

Sad but true,I am afraid.
Jagger is not going to lose money if he's not sure about the financial profability of a new tour.

In another hand,I don't see him ready to lose the advantages of a 50 th anniversary tour...

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1397
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home