Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: What the Rolling Stones could have learned from Eric Clapton (but sadly probably too late now)
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 13, 2010 21:18

the anti-ec sentiment on this board never ceases to amaze.

the general point is a valid one, namely that the stones failure to migrate toward a different path has left them no wiggle room at all as they approach their 70's...

Re: What the Rolling Stones could have learned from Eric Clapton (but sadly probably too late now)
Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 13, 2010 21:29

in my case. i don´t hate ec. i actually like him as a person and i can also see and hear he is a good guitar player and i also like some of the songs he wrote.

what really makes me angry is this clapton is god or best guitarist attitude, which he is not nearly for me.
this usually comes from the same people who consider keith richards a drugged out idiot who never could play and all stones music is very simple three cord stuff.

clapton is a craftsman, a good one, but the stones are artists.

i hate it when people mix this up.

Date: March 13, 2010 21:41

stoneswashed77
in my case. i don´t hate ec. i actually like him as a person and i can also see and hear he is a good guitar player and i also like some of the songs he wrote.

what really makes me angry is this clapton is god or best guitarist attitude, which he is not nearly for me.
this usually comes from the same people who consider keith richards a drugged out idiot who never could play and all stones music is very simple three cord stuff.

you know him as a person? cool...

i don't hear much or read much "clapton is god" anymore - actually its been over 4 decades since i have.

my point would be that clapton and the stones are basically cut from the same cloth and there is obvious mutual admiration and respect and occasional collaboration over the years, too. can't really understand why a fan of one act wouldn't be a fan of the other...unless there's some kind of "non-musical" basis for it....

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 13, 2010 21:53

Clapton seems like a nice enough chap in interviews, but in the last 30 years his dull-as-dishwater songs, his beer-commercial soundtracks, and his stultifying stage presence have convinced me beyond any doubt that, in 1980, aliens killed the real Eric Clapton and replaced him with a guitar-playing robot-droid.

Drew

Date: March 13, 2010 21:55

you heard the clapton is god thing last time 4 decades ago.

you are surely from a different area than i am then.

and i don´t think they are from the same cloth.

it´s more like very different philosophies of what is good music.

Date: March 13, 2010 22:01

stoneswashed77

here's my philosophy - it's good if you like it. nobody's taste is empirically better than anyone else's...

Date: March 13, 2010 22:07

StonesTod
stoneswashed77

here's my philosophy - it's good if you like it. nobody's taste is empirically better than anyone else's...

in a way this is of course true but it is also way to easy.

think you know that.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 13, 2010 22:12

I'm starting to think maybe I should not have put that Clapton show review up. I certainly didn't think it would stir up such a mess. I guess what made me cringe about that review was the overall tone of it, which was that the reviewer was rather bored with the hits blah blah blah, which rings familiar here. Perhaps it was an off night for Eric Clapton. It's well known that popular acts play x amount of their hits because that's what got them to where they are. I think it is fair to wonder why some acts still bother when they don't seem to be into it but rather handle it like it is their job.

Which it is - maybe it just needs to be done with a bit more, ha ha, enthusiasm.

Date: March 13, 2010 22:14

stoneswashed77
StonesTod
stoneswashed77

in a way this is of course true but it is also way to easy.

think you know that.

too easy? taste is a matter of preference - there are no better or worse preferences. not sure how anyone could debate that point; it's a fact.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 13, 2010 22:30

eric clapton is not a writer?!? he's not an artist??!?
so what about those songs on Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs that he wrote where he's basically pouring his heart out and declaring his love for George Harrison's wife. i guess that's not considered "art" whereas what the stones did is?

Date: March 13, 2010 22:44

no i don´t think he will be remembered one of the best writers.
and i don´t see any artistical message or anything new in his guitar playing.
he took the blues and since then he plays the blues. great new idea.

and falling in love with the wife of a good friend happens every day.

Date: March 13, 2010 22:56

who says he's one of the best writers? i certainly don't. but he IS a writer. sure he's released some crap songs (just like the stones) but also some great songs (just like the stones).
and he's definitely beaten the blues horse to death, he hasn't really done anything special in a long time, but he is what he is. he's not trying to adhere to changing trends (other than that album he did with the drum machine). he's mainly a blues player. you can only go so far with the blues. and also, with the whole "clapton is god" thing. you have to put it into context. back then, in the 60s in england, when he showed up on the scene he blew people's minds, nobody had seen guitar playing like that before. and this was BEFORE Hendrix conquered the UK.

Date: March 13, 2010 23:01

just what the hell is wrong with being a blues player? he's an AMAZING blues-based guitar player who has worked an honed his considerable talents for 5 decades now....and this is cause for derision somehow? i don't get it....

Date: March 13, 2010 23:04

bernardanderson
and also, with the whole "clapton is god" thing. you have to put it into context. back then, in the 60s in england, when he showed up on the scene he blew people's minds, nobody had seen guitar playing like that before. and this was BEFORE Hendrix conquered the UK.

100% agree!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 13, 2010 23:11

Clapton is one of the greatest musician of modern time period and he is being bashed here. What do people want?

Date: March 13, 2010 23:12

stoneswashed77
bernardanderson
and also, with the whole "clapton is god" thing. you have to put it into context. back then, in the 60s in england, when he showed up on the scene he blew people's minds, nobody had seen guitar playing like that before. and this was BEFORE Hendrix conquered the UK.

100% agree!

i agree to - although the tag didn't really get made until Cream got going and by then Hendrix was already making a name for himself....

again, i have heard any "clapton is god" talk since then...but i guess in the sf bay area, we're not into hyperbole much....

Date: March 13, 2010 23:14

i'm pretty sure it was during his time with the Bluesbreakers that the "clapton is god" graffiti appeared.

Date: March 13, 2010 23:22

StonesTod

the general point is a valid one, namely that the stones failure to migrate toward a different path has left them no wiggle room at all as they approach their 70's...

It shouldn't amaze you.

EC seems to press the buttons of those who feel the need to strike a pose - for some inexplicable reason.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 13, 2010 23:24

Sorry - but to me Collins is the biggest damage to music ever happened.
His drumming and singing is hopelessly terrible.
But, as always, lot's of people like it - like people also like Spice Girls and other kind of ridiculous music. And funny enough, that kind of music sells....

Date: March 13, 2010 23:29

bernardanderson
i'm pretty sure it was during his time with the Bluesbreakers that the "clapton is god" graffiti appeared.

according to the notoriously unreliable wikipedia, the phrase didn't first appear until the autumn of '67, well into the first year EC was with Cream....

Date: March 13, 2010 23:33

i bow down to the almighty wiki smiling smiley

Date: March 13, 2010 23:34

Sir Craven of Cottage
StonesTod

It shouldn't amaze you.

EC seems to press the buttons of those who feel the need to strike a pose - for some inexplicable reason.

well, the rational person in me doesn't understand this. i don't know a single person in the real world who doesn't like both the stones and EC....

Date: March 13, 2010 23:35

StonesTod
Sir Craven of Cottage
StonesTod

It shouldn't amaze you.

well, the rational person in me doesn't understand this. i don't know a single person in the real world who shares my general taste in music and doesn't like both the stones and EC....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 13, 2010 23:36

mtaylor
But, as always, lot's of people like it - like people also like Spice Girls and other kind of ridiculous music. And funny enough, that kind of music sells....

I suggest you to take your Phil Collins-trauma somewhere else. It is not very relevant in this thread (nor in any other thread for that matter).

- Doxa

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 13, 2010 23:50

Nothing. cool smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 13, 2010 23:52

stoneswashed77

You seriously promote that belief outside of this forum?

I think more proper and accurate distinction is between one being a musician and the others being pop stars.

- Doxa

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 13, 2010 23:55

Doxa
mtaylor

- Doxa

Listen to Brand X, you might change your mind.winking smiley

Date: March 14, 2010 00:01

Doxa
stoneswashed77

You seriously promote that belief outside of this forum?

I think more proper and accurate distinction is between one being a musician and the others being pop stars.

- Doxa

do you consider pop music a good or a bad thing?

i mean is pop music all evil for you. or do you think there is good pop music?

Date: March 14, 2010 00:07

Get your SEXY ON!

Enough said....

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 14, 2010 03:25

I too wish that the Stones had followed what Clapton and even more intersting is Bob Dylan. Bob has a great attitude he plays what he wants to play and makes it work. I feel like you have to scale it down to do that and just get back to music. Dylan's resurgence has been remarkable he's done 4 Great albums over the last decade. I am not a huge fan of what EC has done lately but I respect the fact that he tries to do somethng DIFFERENT each time. That said I'm still glad that we've had the Stones for the last 21 years they have done some great shows and I think they still have a great album in them if they only dared to try something different.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home