Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

36 Years Ago Today - Washington DC
Date: July 4, 2008 20:28

Hello Campers!

[stoneslib6.homestead.com]

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Re: 36 Years Ago Today - Washington DC
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 4, 2008 20:33

How many more Whatever Amount Of Years Ago Today's are there gonna be?

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: July 4, 2008 21:22

The first STP outdoor gig. The Washington show was a bona fide Rock nĀ“Roll extravaganza!

Date: July 4, 2008 23:05

skipstone
How many more Whatever Amount Of Years Ago Today's are there gonna be?

If you went to the website instead of whingeing like a ballerina w/a hole in her tights, you'd know. And in case you didn't know, this IS a Rolling Stones message board, lad.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 5, 2008 01:47

i was at that show with great seats on the hometeam dugout...they were set up around second base. Stevie Wonder was truly mindblowing at the height of his considerable powers. This was my first stadium show and even with good seats, and even despite the good reviews and the historic nature of this show now, i recall being distracted by the sound just blowing across the field and into the sky and reaching most of the audience in a bit of a muddle, even the one's rather close up, with dimished sonics and tiny ant like critters on the stage as the stones.
i know people will disagree but i can only take responsibility for my impressions, anfd i was, and am, a totally stone gone stones fan.

thankfully i saw them indoors at msg just a few weeks later, which was the most mindblowing rock concert i've ever been to, to this very day and moment.

It was a good day and all that...we had great seats and no hassles but the band, even with THE classic lineup sounded dwarfed (TO ME AT LEAST) in a stadium procenium. To this day, I make it a point to avoid stadium shows, even if they're just a mile or two away. I occasionally do get to one and am almost always disappointed and the distant noise that doesen't even synch up to the screens. 'steel wheels' at l.a.n was torture only to be relieved by getting safely to your car to turn on all the great radio stations that were playing the best of the stones catalog real clear and impactful.

The music they made was too beautiful and important to jam in a cement bowl of a stadium. Sorry but that's my main recollection of the stones show that july 4th so many years ago.
Thankfully i was also there at msg, with GREAT floor seats and it changed my life in so many ways. The most thrilling and totally giving rock show i have EVER seen.
msg, and i am supposing many other 'arena' shows that tour were ,The most impactful and wondrous and ferocious stones show i've, and I suspect very many, ever had the privilige to see. It was heaven and totally no nonsense from start to finish. They came to rock with a vengenane and a committment and they were just amazing. all of them. it was just the most spectacular thing you could ever hope to be witness to, or a small part of. God bless the Stones on this American Holiday. So much of my life as a born American has been my experiences with the stones catalog and live shows. WE love the Stones completely and madly.
They are the most enduring, important and precious rockers to ever roam the earth.

Date: July 5, 2008 07:02

Beeely! Where ARE you, mate? I have been awaiting our first meeting!!!!

Date: July 5, 2008 09:57

Dude, OK dude, chill dude. There's a lot of X Years Ago Today threads.

This is a Stones site? Gee, really?

Date: July 5, 2008 10:41

What is "whingeing" anyway?

Date: July 5, 2008 11:00

skipstone
What is "whingeing" anyway?

It's British for whining. There are a lot X years ago today threads... but mine are the best!!! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: peter ()
Date: July 7, 2008 10:51

I was there....and it was a bit scary down in front...we were crushed pretty much all night...but one thing I remember is that Mick skipped the middle part of "Rocks Off"....thanx for posting all the reviews...didn't photograph this show but many others.....peter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1599
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home