Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Buddy Guy
Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: April 4, 2008 12:19

Hi, after seeing SAL on Wednesday, I was intrigued to see BG looking real swell (he is 71 !!!) and in good form, has anyone seen him in concert in recent months, how is he over a full show?

He is playing the Shepherds Bush Empire, London, on Tuesday, 24 June 2008.

SD

Re: OT: Buddy Guy
Date: April 4, 2008 12:25

SonicDreamer
Hi, after seeing SAL on Wednesday, I was intrigued to see BG looking real swell (he is 71 !!!) and in good form, has anyone seen him in concert in recent months, how is he over a full show?

SD

Completely agree with you SonicD - looking forward to Shepherds Bush even more now. See you there!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 4, 2008 12:27

SonicDreamer

SD

Well, we'll find out on 24/6/08 will we not, cos I'm goin', Beast's goin' ... so you goin' ? Got your voice back yet ?

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: April 4, 2008 12:35

Anyone got a spare ticket or are there any available?

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: April 4, 2008 12:42

Tickets are still available - [www.shepherds-bush-empire.co.uk]

Date: April 4, 2008 12:44

NickB
Anyone got a spare ticket or are there any available?

Go kick that bloody horse up the arse and tell it to WIN ... I'm putting zillions and trillions on it !! Yep, see you at the SBE. Another good turnout it's gonna be.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: April 4, 2008 12:47

I've just got me a standing ticket - i'll see all you Krazy Kids,
in the bar beforehand.

come on Tumbling Dice!!

Date: April 4, 2008 13:10

Just got my tix. I think Shine A light has given Buddy Guys career a big boost. Would we all be going if we hadn't seen Shine A Light?

NickB

Date: April 4, 2008 13:15

have we all got downstairs/stalls, standing tickets?

Date: April 4, 2008 13:17

Adrian-L
have we all got downstairs/stalls, standing tickets?

Dunno, Sara (aka Beast) got the tickets (one of which I'll be using) ... they're probably downstairs standing I'd guess.

Date: April 4, 2008 13:17

I'm upstairs. As the guy I'm going with recommended upstairs.

NickB

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: April 4, 2008 13:22

Downstairs at the SBE can be a bitch unless you are tall, as the floor does not slope, so your mate gave you good advice Nick. The sounds is arguably better upstairs too, but I lurveeeeeeeee atmosphere downstairs and I'm tall (gloat, gloat).

SD

Date: April 4, 2008 13:22

Myself and BarRoomQueen have downstairs standing tickets.

Date: April 4, 2008 13:37

We can all meet up a pub before and after!! Looking forward to seeing all of you again.

NickB

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 4, 2008 13:51

Saw Buddy last year here in Singapore. Part of the Mosaic music fest. He looked and sounded great! He put on a somewhat short show, about 80 minutes, but for 71 he had a lot of energy. He did his usual shtick and walked throughout the audience during his solo in Mustang Sally. His voice sounded fantastic. He has shaved his head and wore a fancy three piece suite and played his black and white poco-dot strat. The only gripe was since I have been going to his shows (1980s) he continues to do a section where he talks about all the acts he has influence and plays snippets of their songs, for example about a minute of Voodoo Chile, and several others...
I would recommend seeing this blues legend while you can!

Date: April 4, 2008 13:53

yes, he did his Hendrix impression (amongst others),
on the previous occasion, i saw him.
He puts on a good show.

Date: April 4, 2008 13:53

whitem8
Saw Buddy last year here in Singapore. Part of the Mosaic music fest. He looked and sounded great! He put on a somewhat short show, about 80 minutes, but for 71 he had a lot of energy. He did his usual shtick and walked throughout the audience during his solo in Mustang Sally. His voice sounded fantastic. He has shaved his head and wore a fancy three piece suite and played his black and white poco-dot strat. The only gripe was since I have been going to his shows (1980s) he continues to do a section where he talks about all the acts he has influence and plays snippets of their songs, for example about a minute of Voodoo Chile, and several others...
I would recommend seeing this blues legend while you can!

Woooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !! Another classic gig comin' up. Can't wait.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 4, 2008 14:18

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: April 4, 2008 14:26

Would love to see Buddy Guy live , is he coming to europe this year ?

Another Stones related bluesman Sugar Blue is also still touring . I`m looking foreward to see him when he comes to Europe in the fall !

and now we`re talking the blues , lot`s of chances to see John Mayall here in Europe this summer also not to be missed !

...and let`s not forget Magic Slim he also passed 70 , but still kicking ass ! Go see him when you can !

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 4, 2008 15:22

Will be seeing him as part of the Glasgow Jazz Festival on 26th June.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: April 4, 2008 16:08

Oh yes now I realize his giving several gigs England/Scotland this year , it just don`t appear of his website yet .

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 6, 2008 06:45

Mr Buddy M. F. Guy, Massey Hall, Toronto, tonight... No Champagne, no reefer.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: April 6, 2008 07:10

Listen to Buddy, you will notice the influence he had on Clapton's 70's recordings.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: April 6, 2008 08:02

If you want to hear Buddy playing and singing like a crazed maniac, try to find I Smell A Rat. As the Chicago DJ who first played it said "It can tear your face clean off."

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: April 6, 2008 08:26

One of the great perks of living in Chicago is that we get the opportunity to see Buddy numerous times a year... many front up & personal at his club, Legends (which is scheduled to relocate within the next few months). If you have a chance to see him in a small club (or anywhere for that matter) do it!! His shows are remarkable and his smile is contagious!!

A note to inopeng, just out of curiosity, who was the DJ that first played 'I smell a rat'??

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 6, 2008 11:05

If you ever have a chance to see Buddy in a small venue, especially a club type setting, don't miss it! He does some amazing things with the crowd and the venue itself.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 6, 2008 14:51

Was lucky enough to see him down front at BB King's last year, he got out and walked around most of the club. But I don't think Buddy likes being limited by the venue. Last night he made it up into the balcony of Massey Hall, spent 5 or so minutes up there playing to the crowd. Can't say I've ever seen anyone else do that. A good show.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: April 6, 2008 15:10

Wineaux - it was Bob Gelms who hosted Blues Deluxe (now Blues Breakers) on WXRT...it was such a strange line that I remember it more than 25 years later!

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: April 6, 2008 16:39

Would LOVE to see Buddy Guy, but, alas, funds aren't available (plus travel/accomodation etc).

I thought 'Champagne & Reefer' was a pure highlight of an otherwise largely disappointing SAL - absolutely immense!

('Some Girls' was a close seconf though....!)

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: April 7, 2008 04:50

Thanks for the info.... I assumed it had to be on XRT. I vaguely remember Blues Deluxe. Love listening to Tom Marker on Blues Breakers... he just makes you want to go out & see every artist he features!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1557
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home