Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cohl resigns from Live Nation
Posted by: Halup ()
Date: June 20, 2008 20:27

This may be the reason why the Stones are not signing with Live Nation:

Live Nation chairman negotiating resignation: media 28 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Live Nation Chairman Michael Cohl may be preparing to resign from the concert promoter after an internal battle, according to reports.

Cohl is negotiation his resignation, The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday, citing people close to the situation.

At issue are "360 deals" under which Live Nation agrees to give superstars hefty upfront payments in exchange for financial rights in nearly all their business, from touring to licensing, the Journal said. Live Nation has done such deals with artists like Madonna and U2.

Cohl wants to sign more of these deals, the Journal said, while Chief Executive Michael Rapino wants the pace of these signings to slow.

The company's board instructed Cohl and Live Nation management to work out their differences quickly, the Journal said. That resolution appears likely to include an agreement on Cohl's departure as soon as next week.

Major terms have yet to be resolved, such as the size of any financial settlement, or whether Live Nation would invoke a clause in Cohl's contract banning him for several years from competing with the company, according to the Journal.

Cohl joined Live Nation when it acquired his Concert Productions International in 2006. He is negotiating to buy back his company, but the two sides have not reached a deal, The New York Times reported on Friday.

If he does exit, it could cause problems for Live Nation, since he has a good relationship with several big acts, including U2 and the Rolling Stones, the Times said.

Reuters/Nielsen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-21 04:18 by Halup.

Re: Cohl to apparently resign from Live Nation
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 20, 2008 20:49

yeah, our cohort KSIE posted something about that in this thread: [www.iorr.org]
as they say uptown: the plot thickens

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: June 20, 2008 22:29

Unfortunately, this may be a sign that there will be no more Stones tours of any hundred million plus magnitude.

PECMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 20, 2008 22:33

Pecman
Unfortunately, this may be a sign that there will be no more Stones tours of any hundred million plus magnitude.

PECMAN

Wow, that would be a first order catastrophe.

Mathijs

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: June 20, 2008 22:37

Well being Cohl brought the Rolling Stones business to Live Nation why would Cohl stay or why would they want him to stay if he no longer had that big money maker to bring to the table...yikes!

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: June 20, 2008 23:50

Hmmm...perhaps the Stones are in negotiations with another conglomerate, OR are maybe setting up an independent corporation to handle all of their business concerns, with Cohl as the CEO?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 21, 2008 00:13

Don't the Stones already have their - have had their own touring giant in place for eons? Isn't that what promotour is all about?

TicketMaster, Live Nation - they should all fall under the same moniker of Whatever.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 21, 2008 01:12

Cohl is an A**H*** and I really don't think the Stones' touring is totally dependent of him!! If the Stones are planning to tour, Cohl will not be the deal-breaker! No one calls the shots for the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: June 21, 2008 01:14

I mentioned last week that he was going to step down.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 21, 2008 01:26

Check out The Times on-line edition. Its pretty reliable. Cohl will resign next week. Shares in Live Nation have lost half their value.
Mine in HBOS aren't doing so well either

Date: June 21, 2008 01:27

Whoa -- Cohl has raked in a ton of cash for the Stones (and himself), so why call him an A-hole? Gripe all you want, but he's done well for the band, IMHO.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 21, 2008 01:41

bassplayer617
Whoa -- Cohl has raked in a ton of cash for the Stones (and himself), so why call him an A-hole? Gripe all you want, but he's done well for the band, IMHO.

He's done well for the band,but not the fans. Their's a difference.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 21, 2008 01:46

mickschix
Cohl is an A**H*** .

Wow, you know him personally?

Mathijs

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 21, 2008 01:56

bassplayer617

Financially - undoubtedly.

However,their creative output has slowed to little more than a trickle since 1989 when they joined forces with Cohl.

I dont think thats a coincidence.

I couldnt care less if the Stones are worth $10 or $10 billion. Or whether they outgross everyone else. It doesnt move me remotely.

As a fan, I'm solely interested in their music. This business relationship has seen the musical and creative end of things take an ever more distant backseat to the goal of amassing money.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 21, 2008 02:11

Gazza

As a fan, I'm solely interested in their music. This business relationship has seen the musical and creative end of things take an ever more distant backseat to the goal of amassing money.

Well said, Gazza.

Drew

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 21, 2008 02:12

jlowe
Check out The Times on-line edition. Its pretty reliable. Cohl will resign next week. Shares in Live Nation have lost half their value.
Mine in HBOS aren't doing so well either

Could you please provide the link? I can't find it. Thanks!

Drew

Date: June 21, 2008 02:12

Gazza, there's a world of difference in the perceptions of the Stones as a cash cow as opposed to what Springsteen is doing. You know it, you see it. I think the Stones really need to work on the perception bit, IF they give a damn about it anymore. That's the real question, isn't it?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 21, 2008 02:16

It is, although I'd like to judge the Stones and what they do on their own merits without comparing them to how other acts go about things.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 21, 2008 03:19

Blaming Cohl is kind of...well...it's disingenuous.

The glimmers are two very large fish swimming in a very small sea.

Cohl was a tool....an effective tool in making them the highest grossing band in history. Along the way they threw in a few hits.....or semi hits....as a live act they have few equals and people are willing to pay to see them still. No sympathy for the devils here.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 21, 2008 06:30

Rip This

Cohl was a tool....an effective tool in making them the highest grossing band in history. Along the way they threw in a few hits.....or semi hits....as a live act they have few equals and people are willing to pay to see them still. No sympathy for the devils here.

Granted it's a double edged sword Rip. But at least Mick & Keith are the ones up on stage performing. Exactlty what does Cohl do besides figure out ways to screw the fans out of more money.

Re: Cohl resigns from Live Nation
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 21, 2008 09:37

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$
$$$$$$
$$$$$
$$$$
$$$
$$
$

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: June 21, 2008 09:43

Rip This

Indeed. Cohl is nothing more than an enabler. Ingenious to an almost devious degree in his talents for separating Stones fans from their cash, but ultimately his expertise is maximizing his clients' abilities to monetize their product...his clients (The Stones) have the final decision on how far to push the monetizing angle, and how often they wish to border on tasteless prostitution of their unique and storied brand. (They pushed as far as it could go...sometimes beyond the breaking point - Stones' coffee mugs for Father's Day from rollingstones.com? Are you shitting me?!). However, using this criteria he has been the Stones' greatest business asset. No one puts a gun to the head of Stones fans...they willingly shell out their dues for the privilege of basking in the Stones' aura for a few hours at a football stadium or perusing their 'official' website.

What impact this obsession with the bottom line has had on the Stones' creative output is for another discussion, but we can all probably agree that Cohl has earned the enmity of many a long-time fan with his crass exploitation of the Stones' legacy and seeming disregard for the fan...with the Stones' blessing, alas...

Cohl is the moneychanger...but the Stones are the High Priests of this temple...

Posted by: peter ()
Date: June 21, 2008 09:55

Thank you...'TURD on the Run'....good lord....peter

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 21, 2008 09:59

>> Could you please provide the link? <<

i couldn't find anything about it in the Timesonline either, so if anyone has a link ... please & thank you!
here's one from Fox Business saying Cohl is "transitioning to a consultant's role" with Live Nation:
[www.foxbusiness.com]

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: June 21, 2008 10:20

would anyone buy a used car from this guy?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 21, 2008 12:55

Gazza
I couldnt care less if the Stones are worth $10 or $10 billion. Or whether they outgross everyone else. It doesnt move me remotely.

Did it use to earlier?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: June 21, 2008 13:49

bassplayer617
Hmmm...perhaps the Stones are in negotiations with another conglomerate, OR are maybe setting up an independent corporation to handle all of their business concerns, with Cohl as the CEO?

Now, there's an idea! They're definitely not packing it up. Sept. 09 - The Stones and Cohl are ready to roll again.
And perhaps by that time, his son has been able to put together the DVD fan club members were promised in 2007, 2007 and 2008?
I'm still waiting for my f***ing fan club gifts. Guess "I'm not the only one with mixed emotions" for the Cohls.

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: June 21, 2008 14:26

Blaming Cohl is typical Stones fan hypocrisy. It's entirely the Glimmer Twins' decision. Cohl is just an incredible businessman that gets things done whatever it takes (and we all know it takes a lot of crap sometimes). They hire him. Their choice.

NOT that there's anything wrong with it all. But to say Cohl is disgusting because he's turning them into a moneymachine.. it couldn't POSSIBLY be Mick or Keith that want to make all that money!

Posted by: terry ()
Date: June 21, 2008 14:48

Yep its true you cant blame cohl, as its already been stated that he was just a tool for the stones to make there dosh.Well lets see what happens now with things, it might shake things up abit, and mabe for the good.All i want to see is new stuff, not another greatest hits tour,or a record deal to release more old hits, thats been done to death.Cohl and the stones were good for each other,mabe not the best thing for us the fans.I wish the stones would go back to basics, and drop the hype, release a new album, and do a few dates to promote it, and mabe throw in a few festivals. lol i can dream.

Posted by: Voja ()
Date: June 21, 2008 14:51

MICHAEL COHL is being inducted into Canada's Walk Of Fame tomorrow night
By JANE STEVENSON, TORONTO SUN Sat, June 4, 2005
FOR MICHAEL COHL, there's a bit of bad news about his induction tomorrow night onto Canada's Walk Of Fame.
The world's premier rock promoter is thrilled to be receiving a rare national honour right here in his hometown. But it means he has to miss tomorrow night's Tony Awards in New York, where the hit show he produced -- Spamalot -- is favoured to win best musical. Getting a star on Canada's Walk of Fame is the greater honour, he said, and that's why he'll be here.
"It's unbelievable," Cohl, 57, said yesterday in a Canadian exclusive interview with the Sun. "I'm just a little kid from Vaughan Road Collegiate. A Jewish kid from an Italian neighbourhood, who couldn't figure out what to do for a living."
Cohl said his career inspiration finally came to him when he was 19 or 20 years old, sitting around with some friends listening to Foxtrot by Genesis.
"And I just went, 'We should bring Genesis to Toronto. We can't possibly be the only people who like them. And that's what we're going to do for a living!' "
Fast-forward almost 35 years. Cohl has since produced tours for the likes of the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, U2, David Bowie and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. He also was the driving force behind the biggest concert in Canadian history: SARS-Stock at Downsview Park in July 2003, which drew 450,000 people. His greatest professional achievement?
"There's absolutely no contest," Cohl said. "It's the fact that the Rolling Stones have decided to keep me on board for almost two decades. And, frankly, I first promoted them in 1974 -- so I've been associated with them 31 years, but basically full-time for almost the last two decades. I still can't believe they call me. I can't. It's sort of like, 'Wow.' "It is the Rolling Stones, after all. It is Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. I don't think familiarity breeds contempt in this case. It just breeds respect."

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1370
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home