Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Is Mick Taylor's Guitar Playing More Jazz Influenced Than Blues?
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 15, 2008 21:56

Maybe the thing i love about Mick Taylor, which perhaps i don't see so much in some of the guitar greats like Eric Clapton, Peter Green and Jimi Hendrix etc. is perhaps more of a jazz influence. Maybe it is his more free flowing, improvised style of jazz influences many of his fans love about his playing, and less the influence of the blues?

Re: Is Mick Taylor's Guitar Playing More Jazz Influenced Than Blues?
Date: June 15, 2008 22:24

More likely booze these days!!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 15, 2008 22:26

He does improvise but To me the sound is still blues.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 15, 2008 23:15

Not much jazz, mainly blues.
Matbe a lil more blues with the booze.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 16, 2008 01:01

the main style is blues, but he uses some "modes" and adds them to the normal blues-scales.

Date: June 16, 2008 01:05

blues

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 16, 2008 01:22

No. His start with the Bluesbreakers at such a young age set his course and defined his playing style for his career in my personal opinion, I would call it blues with a slight twist of jazz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-16 01:25 by shadooby.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: June 16, 2008 13:37

Albert King

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 16, 2008 14:31

I think that there have been periods in his post stones career when there was some jazzy sounding note or phrasing added to his solos, but always in a blues/rock context. There were also some latin influences for waht matters.

All in all, I'd say that "blues" remains his main influence. The last time I heard him live I can say for sure he has returned to a more orthodox blues synthax.

C

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: June 16, 2008 14:58

Which jazz player would he be influenced by?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 16, 2008 15:43

The latin influences are evident from the the slightly santana-esque stuff he played on occasion.
I think that the subject of MT's influences is an interseting part of his subsequent failure to produce much noteable work since leaving the band.
He doesn't seem to have much direction of his own.
He needs a strong band structure and identity to give form to his playing...be it the equally clearly defined jobs within the Bluesbreakers or the Stones.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 16, 2008 16:08

Edward Twining
Maybe the thing i love about Mick Taylor, which perhaps i don't see so much in some of the guitar greats like Eric Clapton, Peter Green and Jimi Hendrix etc. is perhaps more of a jazz influence. Maybe it is his more free flowing, improvised style of jazz influences many of his fans love about his playing, and less the influence of the blues?

You made a bad choice inclduing Hendrix in there as he had a lot of 'jazz' influence in his playing! From his first album right till the end.

What playing of Mick Taylors sounds jazz influenced to you?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 16, 2008 16:12

His Majesty

"Giddy Up" and "Spanish/A Minor", from his 1979 solo debut, are not merely jazz influenced, they ARE jazz.

Date: June 16, 2008 16:17

Mostly blues, but also jazz, latin and fusion...

Posted by: Y A P Y A P ()
Date: June 16, 2008 16:19

MT could play with this guys band, which has a jazzy feel......plus, plenty to eat........BAM!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en"></param><embed

Date: June 16, 2008 16:38

tatters
His Majesty

"Giddy Up" and "Spanish/A Minor", from his 1979 solo debut, are not merely jazz influenced, they ARE jazz.

I don't have it, can you link me to anywhere where I can have a listen?

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: June 16, 2008 16:47

I'd agree with most of the above, MT plays blues with a touch of jazz, but sometimes there's more jazz in there.

I also think he's very influenced by Hendrix - he plays in a similar way at times, especially the way he goes off at a tangent during a solo etc.

Which is all a good thing of course.

(Hendrix is a mix of blues and jazz also).

Date: June 16, 2008 16:53

Mick must have explored his jazz influences later then as there really isn't any jazz present in his playing during his time with the stones.

He stepped outside of the pentatonic scales during his stint with them, especially towards the end, but that's not really playing jazz as such.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: June 16, 2008 17:45

Perhaps there's a difference between inventiveness and experimentation on the one hand, and full-on jazz on the other. The latter will include the former, but not necessarily vice versa. I guess MT mainly displayed the former in his time with the Stones.

His (more recent) playing is hard to define then I guess, a kind of cross-over or fusion(?) musician?

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: June 16, 2008 18:19

This is a pretty useless question though. There's no definition of jazz, and none of blues either. They overlap all the time, in fact, most jazz is incredibly bluesy and slow blueses are often jazzy. You could ask: by WHO was he inspired, not by what style.

Date: June 16, 2008 19:58

Yeah and of course, even if you are influenced by jazz, it doesn't mean that you will use that influence in a jazzy way/context.

There is a very obvious example of where Eric Clapton was influenced by jazz, the solo to Sunshine of your Love has a direct 'quote' of the melody from Blue Moon at the start.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1440
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home