Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Etta James
Posted by: Strike ()
Date: June 11, 2008 06:38

Just listend to a collection of her singles from the 60s and 70´s. Incredible stuff. I have to admit, that I never heard of Etta James before ( Shame on me!) It`s really something to discover. Any opinion, anyone seen her live?

Re: OT Etta James
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: June 11, 2008 07:06

Yep, saw her open for the Stones, Greensboro, NC, June 1978.

A great voice, and a classy lady, too.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: June 11, 2008 07:11

Etta seemed an anomoly at Chess. She sounded like she belonged at Stax/Volt instead. I like her gritty soul singing though. I know Janis Joplin patterned her vocal stylings after Etta, but Im sorry, Janis never came near having the vocals that Etta did. I like Etta's "Tell Mama", "Id Rather Go Blind", the very early "Wallflower (aka Roll With Me Henry) and her cover of Jimmy Reed's "Baby What You Want me To Do". In the latter its clear where Janis gets her vocal styling from, because Etta just groans growls, and moans the song.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: June 11, 2008 07:56

she was to attend the North Sea Jazz Festival this year, but she cancelled her gig. She is said to recover from pneumonia.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 11, 2008 11:12

great singer- can't get enough of Etta.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 11, 2008 12:36

Check out this picture smiling smiley
[www.coutant.org]

Posted by: Stones CAT ()
Date: June 11, 2008 17:58

..... [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 11, 2008 18:00

do you recommend seeing her live?
she's playing the vienna jazz festival, thinking about going

Posted by: Strike ()
Date: June 11, 2008 21:43

Sadly she cancelled all gigs because of recovering from pneumonia. I´ll go to the north sea jazz festival, she cancelled this one too, but still some nice acts to come ( Buddy Guy, Paul Simon, Tower of power, Alicia Keys, Bootsy Collins, Sharon Jones, Maceo Parker .....) Really looking forward to.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 12, 2008 09:24

Lugs a smooth grooved cut of Stones Miss You....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 13, 2008 15:50

It came out a few years ago that her dad was Minnesota Fats! Sounds like a joke, but it's not...

The one and only time I saw her, and I never heard of her prior to this, was at the Hail! Hail! Rock & Roll show in St. Louis, after her song, she was leading the entire band through some great blues standards while they were changing film reels, was great! Richards, Claption, Cray, Chuck, all up there jamming away with her!

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: June 14, 2008 18:15

A fantastic singer with a big voice. Check out her version of Miss You. I think it's right up there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1180
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home