Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT:Artic Monkeys: Great Sound
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: June 13, 2008 04:30

l had never listened to these guys until a while back my son gave me a copy of their cd "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not" and l must say l am impressed great music,something like this gives me hope for the future of music
These guys rock
Any opinions?

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Re: OT:Artic Monkeys: Great Sound
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 13, 2008 13:42

I've got 2 of their cds . I like them a lot .

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 13, 2008 17:44

Yes I LOVE that first album. I listen to it all the time still.

Mardy Bum is my favorite, then Fake Tales of San Francisco.
Then When the Sun goes down, You Couldn't see for the lights..., Ritz to the Rubble.

The second album hasn't found it's way into my heart, perhaps I need to give it more time though.

I saw them last year in Boston, but I got there late and missed half the show. It sounded good live.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: June 13, 2008 18:45

I too dig them. They are one of the few "newer" bands that I like. They've got a pretty unique sound, both vocally (I REALLY like Turner's voice) and musically.

I just heard yesterday a snippet of a song from The Last Shadow Puppets, a new band that Alex Turner has been playing in, and need to spend some time checking them out.

I like most of what's on their first album. In addition to the ones CindyC mentioned, I'd also add I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor.

Good ones from their second are D Is For Dangerous, Fluorescent Adolescent, Old Yellow Bricks & 505.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-13 19:01 by WMiller.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: June 13, 2008 22:35

I like them a bit too , not as much as when I first heard them on a downloaded CD in April 2005,very raw and very clever lyrically , took the cd with me on holiday to America in the summer of that year and everybody asked who was playing , I just had to tell them , that they were a young band from Sheffield in England and that I didn't know if they would be released commercially.
When the album came out in January 2006 , it was a more polished affair and not as easy on the ear somehow ,I wouldn't say a major disappointment but certainly a bit of a let down compared to the downloaded stuff of the year before even though most of the songs were the same some had altered lyrics and some just not included.
I haven't played the official album ( whatever )for a while though my son still does occasionally he tells me.
I bought the second album last year but can't remember what it's called , I don't personally think its as strong as'' whatever''though it has some little gems if memory recalls.
If you can still get the original downloaded stuff try and get it if you possibly can it is well worth it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home