Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

BB King at Blues Fest
Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: June 9, 2008 20:44

Anyone else see him last night? He was great! He had not played Blues Fest in 20 years and that was the last time I had seen him. Buddy Guy and some others gave him an award of recognition for the fact. Koko Taylor was there.

He sat the whole time and had a lot to sayh (mumble) in between songs. He's a little soft spoken so it was hard to follow him unless you watched the screen and could also see what he was saying. He's like a wise old grandad storyteller.

Have the Stones ever collaborated with BB?

Re: BB King at Blues Fest
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 9, 2008 21:12

>> Have the Stones ever collaborated with BB? <<

yep - in 1997, on his CD Deuces Wild. here are the details nzentgraf.de has for it:

1997 4th November: B.B. KING.
CD ‘Deuces Wild’ (MCA Records MCD 11722). Producer: John Porter. Sound engineer: Joe McGrath.
Recorded at Ocean Way Recording Studios and Cherokee Recording Studios, Los Angeles in March or April 1997. Incl:
- Paying the Cost to Be the Boss (B.B. King)
Line-up: MJ (voc, harm)/KR (gtr)/RW (gtr)/CW (dr)/B.B. King (voc, gtr)/Darryl Jones (bass)/
Tommy Eyre (keyb)/Joe Sublett (sax)/Darrell Leonard (tp)

here's a link to a vendor if you're interested: [www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-09 21:15 by with sssoul.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: June 10, 2008 00:02

I will have to post the clip. Saw BB a few months ago and it was disturbing. Everyone had a dead-on view of his crotch and dancing balls through his trousers. It was really gross.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 10, 2008 00:33

I've started looking into BB's studio work in the 70's and I'm pleansantly surprised with what I found. Had all of his stuff from the 90's to present and some older Live recordings but picked up "Indianola Mississppi Seeds" and I love it. Great grooves and great R&B sounding stuff.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: June 10, 2008 00:35

saw him 8 times in the 80's and 90's. great shows, all of them.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 10, 2008 01:08

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 10, 2008 01:28

Nice Rockman. That was during the recording of "Paying The Cost To Be The Boss" in 97 or so on the Deuces Wild album. The Stones sounded GREAT. Fantastic harp by Mick.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 10, 2008 01:39

............................circa 1950

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: June 10, 2008 08:33

I was at Blues Fest for BB. Unfortunatly from where I was at I couldnt hear him speaking too well. The music I did hear was good though, but sadly i only recognized a couple of songs (3 O Clock Blues, (I think) Its My Fault, and The Thrill is gone), I could have seen BB at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, MI (former home of Gibson guitars for anyone not familiar with Kalamazoo) but was out of town that weekend. Now I wish I had stayed.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 10, 2008 08:43

LQ, saw BB at the Clapton Guitarfest in your neck of the woods last summer.
3Dteafoe and I went and SomeGirlinTO was there too. He played a short
set and paid tribute to Clapton.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: June 10, 2008 13:45

Have seen many BB shows thru the years.

Sadly, these days you get more talk than playing..........

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 10, 2008 19:24

I saw B.B. open for the band in '69, again in the early '70's and as recently as earlier this year. In the most recent show I am pleased to say he played to a full house of very appreciative fans. He is a monster musical figure, but I prefer to remember him as I saw him in those earlier shows.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: June 12, 2008 10:35

thanks ssoul for the link, rockman for the pic, and everyone else for comments...sorry for the delay in response. i'm mortgaging up my life, though my offer on a loft at 4100 S. Michigan Ave. wasn't accepted in time (pre-forclosure).

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 12, 2008 14:58

angee
LQ, saw BB at the Clapton Guitarfest in your neck of the woods last summer. 3Dteafoe and I went and SomeGirlinTO was there too. He played a short set and paid tribute to Clapton.

That was a great show... and BB was rockin' and flirtin' and talkin'! There is some good footage on the Crossroads II DVD. Was really nice to see Clapton in the wings with his own camera, grinning and having as much fun as all of us, watching the King. Can it be nearly a year?

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: June 12, 2008 15:51

here's a a pic of clapton taking a pic of bb
one great thing about the dvd - look at the faces of all the musicians performing that day. they exude such joy.
i'm sorry i missed the blues fest on sunday.
here's a shout-out to a, lq, and stg.

photo by teafoe

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: June 12, 2008 18:14

Justin
I've started looking into BB's studio work in the 70's and I'm pleansantly surprised with what I found. Had all of his stuff from the 90's to present and some older Live recordings but picked up "Indianola Mississppi Seeds" and I love it. Great grooves and great R&B sounding stuff.

There are some real gems from BB during that period and I had "Indianola Mississppi Seeds" along with several others that I found for a buck each in a deleted bin about 20 years ago and my dear wife threw them out when we moved.

Many of those records had lots of just instrumentals which were fantastic showcasing BB's unreal vibrato ... I should probably look online for those albums and I wish I could remember the names.

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: June 12, 2008 19:51

He played in Nashville a couple of months ago and it was great [even tho' he talked a good bit between songs like LQ said.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1365
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home