Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Loving Cup 1972 live
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 8, 2008 23:34

I've just been watching this clip again:

Beautiful version, isn't it? And I wonder where and when it was recorded, and, who else is there in the line-up, is it Billy Preston on keyboards, and who's in the brass section? Can anyone highlight me?

On the video it says 24.6.1972 but that doesn't fit cause seems it collides with a show at Forth Worth on that same date.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-09 18:47 by dead.flowers.

Re: Loving Cup 1972 live
Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: May 8, 2008 23:38

Montreaux 1972 ???

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 8, 2008 23:43

I here a steel drum in there during the last part of the song.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 8, 2008 23:43

Montreux rehearsals, May 15th-18th 1972

Posted by: django ()
Date: May 8, 2008 23:46

Playback. Live singing to the original studio backing track.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 9, 2008 02:54

Yeah, the never used LC promo video from Montreux.

Over the years that Montreux video continues to grow on me. TD 2 is wonderful. After fumbling the first one (I think intentionally) Taylor plays the solo with such easy assurance. His boogie rhythm drives SYH. And listen to his rhythmic variations on John's Jam. It's as close as you are going to get to seeing an Exile session.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: May 9, 2008 10:29

SYH... think... think harder... coffee... think even harder.... ... ...no sorry. Please help me out! ;-)

Jelle

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: May 9, 2008 11:02

Shake Your Hips

Date: May 9, 2008 11:33

Yeah, thanks for all the replies.

Do I make it out right: It is live singing (playback) to the original studio track?

And, what purpose was this video then made for, promo?

Finally, and again, who's on keyboards and brass section of the original studio track? And was that taken at Nellcote, then?

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: May 9, 2008 12:03

Thanks Stargroves! :-)

Date: May 9, 2008 12:09

Bill Janovitz in the 33 1/3 book Exile On Main Street calls LC "one of Nicky Hopkin's shining moments, introducing Loving Cup with a booming gospel piano part. He's out there all alone without a net for the first thirteen seconds of the song". He later talks of "the regal horns of Jim Price and Bobby Keys" and he pictures it as "the prefect day down in Villefranche-sur-Mer".

But then Bill Janovitz wasn't there any more than I was...

Martin Elliot's book lists it as recorded at Nellcote with the mobile unit by the Rolling Stones with Bobby Keys, Jim Price, Nicky hopkins, Jimmy Miller.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: May 9, 2008 14:51

pmk251
Yeah, the never used LC promo video from Montreux.

Over the years that Montreux video continues to grow on me. TD 2 is wonderful. After fumbling the first one (I think intentionally) Taylor plays the solo with such easy assurance. His boogie rhythm drives SYH. And listen to his rhythmic variations on John's Jam. It's as close as you are going to get to seeing an Exile session.

Yeah it's nice to watch the two versions of Tumbling Dice. The rhythm isn't right on the first one and then everything falls into place on the second effort. And everybody`s easy going and fully concentrated at the same time!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-09 14:54 by Greenblues.

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: May 9, 2008 15:00

I think this session has been recorded by German Television....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 9, 2008 15:00

wow now thats how you do loving cup with mick and keith sharing the mic on vocals and thats nicky hopkins on the ivories.do i also here timbales or a zylo towards the end of the song ?

Date: May 9, 2008 15:59

keeffriffhard

Yeah, must have been "Radio Bremen".

Date: May 9, 2008 16:01

Yes, thank you Stargroves, keefriffhard and all.

The subtitle "aus Folge 79 vom 24.6.1972" is actually in German language and translates to "from episode 79 of June 24, 1972".

But what programme would it be from, then, and still I wonder where this was recorded?

And, django, do you really mean that this is playback, i.e. that the singing is live while the instruments are being not even physically played but merely serve as a decoration (piano and horns being from a tape, OK). I just can't imagine the Stones could have done such.

Date: May 9, 2008 16:03

Well, Greenblues, Radio Bremen sounds good. Could it be BEATCLUB?

Date: May 9, 2008 16:09

I have this whole session on DVD......I will check the titles etc. for more details when I get home

Date: May 9, 2008 16:18

keeffriffhard
I have this whole session on DVD......I will check the titles etc. for more details when I get home

Yeah, that would be nice, keef, to hear from you later on. And have a nice day all.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 9, 2008 16:22

>> this is playback, i.e. that the singing is live while the instruments are being not even physically played
but merely serve as a decoration (piano and horns being from a tape, OK). I just can't imagine the Stones could have done such. <<

yes, that's what django means: this is playback, which the Stones have done all down the line.*
they're quite good at it, when they want to be - which may be harder than it looks -
and quite good at being funnily un-good at it when they want to be too (like Keith towards the end of this promo)

* since it seems to be a surprise to someone that the Stones did playback: sure they did!
the first few Ed Sullivan appearances were fully fledged performances, but from the second 1966 one onward
they were live vocals + playback. there seemed to be an opposite trend in the UK for a while there:
their earliest tv appearances there were playback; then came a phase when they were really playing,
at least for some appearances; but by 1967 they were primarily doing the live vocals + playback trip
in the UK too. and the promo videos of course are playback, often including the vocals as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-09 16:43 by with sssoul.

Date: May 9, 2008 16:36

dead.flowers
Well, Greenblues, Radio Bremen sounds good. Could it be BEATCLUB?

I don't know if this footage was used at all. But AFAIK "Beat Club" ran until the end of '72, so it might have been broadcast there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-09 16:36 by Greenblues.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 9, 2008 16:36

I think one of the most available examples of the "live vocals over prepared track" are The Ed Sullivan appearances starting with the 1966 "Paint It Black" sessions. Wasnt the TOTPS Brown Sugar promo also live vocal over tape? Wonder if Bobby Keys was mad about someone else "playing" his part?? NAH!!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 9, 2008 16:39

with sssoul
and also quite good at being funnily un-good at it
when they want to be too (like Keith towards the end of this promo)

The video for Worried about you comes to mind! That is absolutely one of the best examples where the want to be un-good at lip syncing.

Date: May 9, 2008 16:47

django
Playback. Live singing to the original studio backing track.

But only "Loving Cup", the rest is live.

Date: May 9, 2008 17:00

Yes, Beat Club is on the board used between takes. I seem to remember Gazza, in an earlier thread, saying that it was also on Old Grey Whistle Test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-09 17:06 by Stargroves.

Date: May 10, 2008 18:08

On youtube I found this other clip

which is the same footage but with another soundtrack.

At a closer look it appears to me that in neither video the sound matches with the footage, I mean that in both clips there is no live singing at all. Could that be? I am really puzzled.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 10, 2008 19:46

>> I mean that in both clips there is no live singing at all. Could that be? <<

sure!

Date: May 10, 2008 23:42

Theatre Rialto (Montreux, Switzerland), May 17-21, 1972 (rehearsal sessions for upcoming US tour, recorded by German TV (Radio Bremen). They played:

* Shake Your Hips
* Tumbling Dice #1
* Tumbling Dice #2
* Bluesjam
* Jam
* Loving Cup (playback with live vocals)

DVD by Room 101 Entertainment 2004 (which also features Marquee Club, march 26, 1971: "live with me / dead flowers / I got the blues / let it rock / midnight rambler / satisfaction / bitch / brown sugar)

Posted by: Ludwig8745 ()
Date: May 11, 2008 00:03

keeffriffhard

I've posted these here: [www.iorr.org]

Date: May 11, 2008 13:46

Well, and a big thank you sssoul, keeff, Ludwig.

Of course - and I don't know why this didn't com to my mind earlier -
keno.org provides the line-up:

LOVING CUP
Recorded between December 1971 and March, 1972.
Released on Exile On Main Street in 1972.
Lead Vocal: Mick Jagger
Background Vocals: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Guitars: Keith Richards & Mick Taylor
Bass: Bill Wyman
Drums: Charlie Watts
Piano: Nicky Hopkins
Saxophone: Bobby Keys
Trumpet & Trombone: Jim Price
Maracas: Jimmy Miller

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home