Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ABKCO pulling Stones songs from eMusic
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: May 7, 2008 10:44

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-22 20:26 by UrbanSteel.

Re: ABKCO pulling Stones songs from eMusic
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 7, 2008 15:44

Just more evidence that ABKCO are the biggest set of idiots in the whole industry. [A title they've held for many many years ;^) ]

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: May 7, 2008 15:52

Spud
Just more evidence that ABKCO are the biggest set of idiots in the whole industry. [A title they've held for many many years ;^) ]

My initial reaction would be: I hope they suffer!!! But, am I thinking right? What is there to think about ABKCO? They re-release albums in remastered versions, but they control an (unhealthy?) large and important part of the Stones' catalogue... Are they of any benefit at all to fans? Or only criminally marginal considering the amount of musical treasure they're sitting on?

I'm curious... ...still working on an opinion on ABKCO

Jelle

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: May 7, 2008 16:47

do the stones own any percentage of thier old pre 1971 songs.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 7, 2008 18:37

wee bobby lennox
do the stones own any percentage of thier old pre 1971 songs.
I am not certain but I would assume the Stones (incl Bill but not Ronnie)get royalties from all their record sales at whatever rate has been agreed with ABCKO.
Of course with so many differnet formats out there its considerably more complex these days. ABCKO own the recording rights- 100%
On publishing Mick and Keith (and a little of Bill/Mick T) get their composers fees. ABCKO own the rights again - 100%
I believe Andrew Oldham still gets some royalties via publishing -this may have been part of his deal with Klein in the 60's.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 7, 2008 18:41

I believe anywhere in the world song publishing is split. ABKCO doesn't own 100% of the publishing. ASCAP or BMI (or whoever) see to that.

Notice I said believe - I've only learned that. In no way do I know for a fact, seeing that it's ASSKCO. I mean ABCKO. Klein has jerked them around for so long. That guy needs to disappear for good.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 7, 2008 18:54

>> Mick and Keith (and a little of Bill/Mick T) get their composers fees <<

Charlie is also in on the Nanker Phelge songwriting royalties.
(Ventilator Blues is the only Mick T co-composing credit - is that an ABKCO track??)

songwriting royalties are not the same as publishing rights, though.
ABKCO owns the publishing rights to the ABKCO stuff.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 7, 2008 18:58

The royalties are collected through publishing. There's some term for it, mechanical? Something like that.

Date: May 7, 2008 19:06

oops - double post, sorry!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-07 19:09 by with sssoul.

Date: May 7, 2008 19:08

i don't know what you mean by "collected through publishing", but
here are the links i always post when this subject comes up:
[entertainment.howstuffworks.com] and [entertainment.howstuffworks.com]
those don't address the ABKCO/Stones situation explicitly, but if you read all of both articles,
they at least give a picture of what the different licenses and royalties are.
and/or you can wait for retired_dog and/or Rocky Dijon to turn up -
they've both been very patient about explaining the ABKCO situation in detail for us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-07 19:09 by with sssoul.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 7, 2008 19:20

skipstone
I believe anywhere in the world song publishing is split. ABKCO doesn't own 100% of the publishing. ASCAP or BMI (or whoever) see to that.

Notice I said believe - I've only learned that. In no way do I know for a fact, seeing that it's ASSKCO. I mean ABCKO. Klein has jerked them around for so long. That guy needs to disappear for good.

No I think that is not the case for the more established composers. What I mean is I don't think Paul Simon or Paul Mccartney for example share with anybody. ASCAP or whoever they have gone with will of course collect fees for what they do in the same way that the Essex Music group - I believe - collected fees for administering the Stones publishing in the 60's and early 70's.(even though Abcko had by that time "acquired" the rights).
One of ALO's Stones books has references to publishing deals generally.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1416
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home