Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Passing the Torch
Posted by: GeneGenie ()
Date: February 27, 2010 19:39

It was because of my parents that I inadvertently stumbled upon the Rolling Stones, but they never said, 'here boy, listen to this.' Of course, in my younger days (I'm 34), radio was more of a means of entertainment than ROCK BAND. However, I think we have to accept the fact that our youth will in fact discover music through video games. I have no doubt that ROCK BAND or GUITAR HERO is introducing a whole new generation to the BEATLES, and a generation that would otherwise (there are always exceptions), live their entire lives without knowing HEY JUDE.

So, since the Rolling Stones have yet to release their own ROCK BAND video game, what's a concerned elder to do? Not care. Let it happen naturally?

I just made my 13 yr old nephew a Stones Mix. He is a video game junkie with the attention span of a drunk flea, and owns both the AC/DC and BEATLES Rock Band games. I know that the former eventually led to his seeking out and buying BLACK ICE. That's encouraging.

I know I'm not the only member of this board to try and recruit a youngster to the dark side of rock and roll, but has it ever stuck? Were any of the nieces, nephews, sons, daughters, grandchildren that you made a mix, or bought a CD for, grateful or responsive? Would love to read your stories. I'll keep you posted on mine. It will be delivered to him this afternoon. Here's the playlist (which I compiled by recalling the feeling I got the first time I heard these songs, and how a youngster might be best introduced to the sound of rock and roll at its finest.):

1. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
2. Street Fighting Man
3. Brown Sugar
4. Midnight Rambler (Ya Yas version)
5. Back Street Girl
6. It's Only Rock and Roll
7. Gimme Shelter
8. Happy
9. Get Off My Cloud
10. Ruby Tuesday
11. 19th Nervous Breakdown
12. Paint It Black
13. Mona
14. Honky Tonk Women
15. Jumpin' Jack Flash
16. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
17. Rough Justice
18. 2000 Man

Re: Passing the Torch
Posted by: michel ()
Date: February 27, 2010 22:47

nice one, good job,
but maybe some songs from tattoo you on it?

Re: Passing the Torch
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 28, 2010 01:08

Beautiful playlist and what a great gift!!

I gave my niece and nephews music almost every birthday and xmas, hihglighting Stones, Who, Beatles, Kinks, Led Zeppelin, etc. as well as good movies. Their parents (my brother and sister in law) are not very "musical" and watch any movie.

Years later (they are now in their 20s) my niece has great movie taste but not a a strong musical bent (I have started giving her kids music smiling smiley).

One nephew went astray musically. Great guy but makes fun of older music.

And the other nephew has great movie taste, great music taste, and loves the Stones(!!!!). He plays the guitar and piano, writes music and is in a band.

I think it's great and important to pass the torch --- as they say in Australia (I think): good on ya!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2088
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home