Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Got LIVE if you want it!
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 18, 2010 19:32

Wasn't it Keith that said Brian played Popeye? Another Muddy painting the ceiling myth.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 18, 2010 21:53

the album version of this ties Dirty Work in terms of numbers of spins on the turntable.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: June 19, 2010 04:04

This is the album that needs remastering

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: June 19, 2010 19:45

alimente
NICOS
overdubbs

I guess that in 1966/67 the world was not ready for a rough & ready live album, at least the record companies thought so. The thing is that by doctoring with the original raw recordings they made it worser, not better.

There is the Kinks live at Kelvin Hall and the Live Small Faces tracks on In Memorium. Still WAY too much screaming, maybe thats just how it was back then at a show combined with poor PA systems and technology

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 19, 2010 19:59

coffeepotman
alimente
NICOS
overdubbs

I guess that in 1966/67 the world was not ready for a rough & ready live album, at least the record companies thought so. The thing is that by doctoring with the original raw recordings they made it worser, not better.

There is the Kinks live at Kelvin Hall and the Live Small Faces tracks on In Memorium. Still WAY too much screaming, maybe thats just how it was back then at a show combined with poor PA systems and technology

But then again, there were some superb live albums already out, like James Brown's APOLLO show, and Muddy Waters' LIVE AT NEWPORT, - both of them belonging among the very best in the whole genre - but yeah, maybe those weren't "pop records" to be disturbed by screaming chicks...

- Doxa

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: June 20, 2010 07:42

Gazza
mitchflorida
The album notes claim that the concert was recorded at the Royal Albert Hall. Was that also a lie?

The funny thing is the only good part of the original release was the way some breathless American DJ introduced the group:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, It's all about to happen! Let's hear it for the fantastic Rolling Stones!"

And now I see they removed that intro for another bogus intro where they actually go to the trouble of introducing the group by name to the fans. Yuck.

if you have the actual album/cassette and listen very closely, it is the same intro, it's just that in the original version, they faded it. It's been sooooo long since I've played my album, but if I remember correctly, I think he only says like the 1st name ... maybe 2nd, then the record jumps into UMT... but I can definitely hear Jimmy still talking (although faintly), cuz the song started.
=================================

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 20, 2010 14:39

The Stones live sound in the mid-sixties was not about musical finesse; it was all about raw energy and screaming teenagers. Take it for what it is and dont compare it to live recordings from 1969 and onwards in general and the "Stones Orchestra" shows from 1989 onwards in particular - in the same way that one simply cannot compare Beatles live recordings to Paul McCartneys live versions of Beatles songs.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: June 22, 2010 15:37

Does anyone know if the Japanese mini "LP" cd version has the same mix as the main cd version (released in 00s)?

I've read that there was a West German / Japanese cd release (London Records) in the 1980s that replicates the true-stereo vinyl release - the vocals are panned to one side and the instruments are panned to the other side (and I think the crowd noise in the centre).

The current cd version is mixed pretty much mono but with fake stereo added.

I would be keen to buy the Japanese version if it has the true-stereo mix - does anyone here have this version?

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1240
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home