Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

HTW is in SAL
Posted by: BSORocks ()
Date: April 20, 2008 19:49

There's a short, 5 second clip of Honky Tonk Woman in SAL. It's during Connection: after the first cut-in interview clip, we see Keith playing a guitar solo...that solo is from HTW. Why couldn't they include the full song!?! on the CD at least...

Also, I think Loving Cup is edited a bit on the CD compared with the movie.

Re: HTW is in SAL
Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 20, 2008 21:07

I imagine they originally expected to include "HTW," and for that reason had Christina sing that number the first night. Lucky for warhorse-bashers, the crew and/or the band weren't happy with the results from the first night, and so we have the gem "Live with Me" rather than the warhorse "HTW." (And kudos to Christina for learning both numbers... "LWM" probably has more words than anything she's ever read.)

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 20, 2008 21:46

come to think of it - they should've done The Spider and the Fly with X-tina...

hehe - the rinsed out blond on my left

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 20, 2008 21:51

Sheryl Crow was singing HTW very nice, she's a real fan of the Stones. But comparing to Christina, she was a bit worse... Well, LWM on SAL was very interesting. One of the best perfomenaces since Ya-Ya's for me! (Don't kill me. tongue sticking out smiley)

Her music is real shit but I find her good singer winking smiley

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 20, 2008 21:52

cc
I imagine they originally expected to include "HTW," and for that reason had Christina sing that number the first night. Lucky for warhorse-bashers, the crew and/or the band weren't happy with the results from the first night, and so we have the gem "Live with Me" rather than the warhorse "HTW." (And kudos to Christina for learning both numbers... "LWM" probably has more words than anything she's ever read.)

They didn't do HTW on the first night.
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: April 20, 2008 21:53

It would be odd for them to do Honkey Tonk Woman with a female guest again, considering Sheryl Crow on Licks.

I personally don't like most guests at all. Buddy Guy was cool, but Christina Aguilera, Sheryl Crow, that awful Jack White, and the idiot Dave Matthews? They really get on my nerves. I don't see the use.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: April 20, 2008 23:03

erikjjf
cc

They didn't do HTW on the first night.
[www.iorr.org]

Exactly. She howled on Live With Me on both shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-20 23:03 by midnrambler.

Date: April 20, 2008 23:07

What exactly was wrong with Jack White? I think he did a great job.

Date: April 21, 2008 02:08

oops, thanks for the correction about Christina and "HTW."

Jack White's vocals just sound very weak on "Loving Cup." He's way off when he enters, sounds slightly better when he & mick sing at once, but never makes a full recovery. Might have been a better idea to feature him as a guitar player--his slide sounds pretty good.

but it's a matter of taste--IMO Sheryl Crow has no talent and adds nothing to "HTW" on Four Flicks.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 21, 2008 02:23

DandelionPowderman
What exactly was wrong with Jack White? I think he did a great job.

He yelps like a young puppy - thats all^^

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: April 21, 2008 09:25

THe only thing thinner than Sheryl Crow is her voice.

Posted by: yapthe6th ()
Date: April 21, 2008 13:56

cc
IMO Sheryl Crow has no talent and adds nothing to "HTW"
confused smileyangry smileyhot smileythumbs downsad smileyhot smileyhot smileysad smileyeye popping smileyangry smiley

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 21, 2008 14:04

Jack White was great on Loving Cup.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: April 21, 2008 14:14

Jack White was great on Loving Cup.

agree.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 21, 2008 14:18

i'm really sorry they let an intruder into Loving Cup at all, but since they did ...
White said (in the Rolling Stone interview that the gallant Rockman posted)
that he thought he'd just be singing harmony, which would've been a better idea:
having two lead vocalists on that number makes no sense at all.
the best part about it is Mick pushing White away at the end -
no Jack, it's not you we want to see sharing Mick's mic

ahem, pardon the digression. chopping up Connection with 1999 interview fragments was wrong.
the intrusion of 2006 stage footage+audio into the 1999 interview fragments made it even wronger.
the only explanation i can think of is that Scorsese includes some brutality in every film,
and the stage footage is clobbering us over the head in case we didn't get that this is brutality.
(yeah i know some of you think Connection wasn't performed well - in that case
Mr "let the performance be the story" Scorsese should have left it out entirely,
not chopped it up into bloody pieces. grr)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-22 00:17 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 21, 2008 22:28

hey everybody SHERYL CROW is rock and roll.what do you think were her influences growing (rolling stones) up ?can we say the same thing about xtina aguilera ? i dont think so .

Date: April 21, 2008 23:38

Sheryl Crow is blander than bland, whitebread soft rock for classic rock dinosaurs, whom she makes feel comfortable with her recycling of old sounds. Sure, she listened to corporate classic rock when she was growing up, but apparently having nothing new to contribute, she found a niche as the "acceptable younger perfomer" who makes the rounds of awards shows, tribute concerts, and so on, along with Wyclef Jean and Norah Jones. Tom Petty, maybe even Springsteen, was the original classic rock retread, but at least they wrote some good songs, in however outdated styles. The Stones at their best have nothing to do with such unimaginative "roots" acts--their guest performers were authentic talents from other genres, like blues, r&b, gospel, and what have you.

Christina is not at all rock and roll, but she is genuinely vulgar and sleazy, therefore a more exciting choice to sing "Live With Me"! She's embarrassing, but not as much as Sheryl Crow would have been. Christina's "music" is unlistenable, but Sheryl Crow's "product" is even more pointless.

I'm not a White Stripes fan, but they can rock out a bit, and what I've heard from the Raconteurs is ok. I wasn't expecting him to tank as badly as he did.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 21, 2008 23:44

t the jack white duet was one of the most moving performances I've ever seen. He did not do a very good job singing the verses at first, but when He harmonized it sounded great. You could tell he was honored to be there and was having so much fun. It doesn't come across with just the audio , but to me it was emotional when I saw that scene in the theatre. Im a big fan off all the duets on SAL. Buddy Guy's of course was the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-21 23:44 by ryanpow.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: April 22, 2008 02:46

I agree with ryanpow on this. I finally saw the film last night, and seeing it makes all the difference. Jack White was smiling from ear to ear because he was playing onstage with his heroes. When you see AND hear him, it makes total sense.

I expected to be totally underwhelmed by the film, and yet, I was totally bopping. Even Keith's Sympathy solo, which sounds beyond horrible on the CD made a little bit of sense when you see him, granted it's him preening around, but you're still watching the coolest guitarist in the world. It's all about the experience.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 22, 2008 03:11

HTW? Snooze. Enough of these stupid duets. Nothing will ever beat the version on Love You Live.

Come on y'all - the duet with Jack White is terrible. Between Mick singing it 100 mph and Jack sounding like there's a vice grip on his balls...it was better to see it than to just listen to the record. But it's still got to go.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 22, 2008 05:48

Yeah, TeaAtThree, that was definetley a lump in my throat moment.

Just to expand on what I was saying earlier, despite the weird sounding first couple of verses IMO the audio of Loving cup stands on its own . I liked it before I saw the movie. But you have to also see it to get the full effect.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: April 22, 2008 11:36

I didn't like Jack White on LC but what I did like was watching a guy who is an experienced performer, and seriously into rock n' roll, being plainly overwhelmed by the emotional tide of sharing the stage with the Stones.
That is cool.

Date: April 22, 2008 11:59

Jack gave the song some edge. Mick was going thru the motions IMO. And it was touching to see how much sharing the stage with The Stones meant for Jack White.

What you really say is that you don't like his provocative voice? Can't say there was something wrong with his performance. His tone was a bot shaky here and there, because he was a bit nervous. But he sang in tune, and did a great job. A bit off with the slide guitar during the intro though...

Re: White
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 22, 2008 12:21

>> What you really say is that you don't like his provocative voice? <<

no, what i'm saying is that i'm sorry they had any guest at all on the number, especially as a co-lead singer.
probably it would've been more "fair" to White if they'd had him on some never-performed-before tune.
i know who i want to hear singing Loving Cup, and it ain't a guest.

ps: for the record, i saw the film before the CD came out, and White's performance
annoyed me right from the get-go. Aguilera on the other hand sounds better in the film:
the way the film is mixed, her wailing is like a response to the guitars. on the CD it's mere wailing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-22 12:31 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: April 22, 2008 12:47

Jack White did a good job.

Posted by: jacopo ()
Date: April 22, 2008 14:52

HTW there's also at the soundcheck at the beginning of the movie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home