Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick in public
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 4, 2008 22:22

Given how long Jagger has been universally famous, it's got to be almost unimaginable what his lack of personal privacy is like. That said, a quick episode (one of two) to share that shows maybe he's out there even more than we know (second one--which I like better--to follow later)

While in college up in Boston, 1981, while the Stones were rehearsing at the Massachusetts farm (North Brookfield--about 70 miles away), I was with a girl I knew in the city's Public Garden. A couple walking a huge German Shepherd passed us on the path. My friend said, "did you hear that guy's voice--did you see his face--his mouth?" We doubled back a bit and took notice--it was clearly Jagger, in black jeans, black t-shit, sunglasses and black beret (that had a little pin with dangling handcuffs on it). The woman, a pretty brunette and a good deal taller with dark shades on, was holding the dog's leash. I think their radar picked us up because they changed course and walked off to an open corner of grass. Whatever she was saying had him locked in the trademark cracked-coconut smile and even some laughs. For about 20 minutes they both played fetch with the dog, letting it run free with its leash left on. He kept doing stretches and pushing the woman away in fun when it looked like she was saying outrageous things. A couple of times he even called for the dog as he clapped and the voice was totally recognizeable.

This was a beautiful, fairly crowded day in the park--and not one other person seemed to notice he was there. Part of it was that Jagger clearly kept his back to any foot traffic but a bigger part was that he just blended in--I remember thinking, just a year after Lennon was killed, and no apparent body guard?

My friend ran to a pay phone at the Ritz Crlton across the street to call a girlfriend who lived about 2 blocks away--she got there just in time to watch them walk over to Arlington street and hop into a town car with tinted glass.

A day or two later in a local paper (I think the Boston Herald American), a columnist made note of Mick's visit to Boston, but no mention of the time in park.

That's story one--one more to follow in a while - anyone else?

Re: Mick in public
Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: March 4, 2008 23:21

Never seen Jagger in a non performing capacity but there are lots of anecdotes floating around that suggest he 'moves amongst us' more freely than many celebrities. Many years practice at avoiding scrutiny when he chooses and an ability to turn the charisma on and off as necessary, plus an essential sanity beneath all the hype probably allow him to lead a relatively normal life when he chooses.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 4, 2008 23:30

LJ--very well put. The other anecdote I have bares your points out--will post it later

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 4, 2008 23:44

FAME

................................................................Mick Jagger

ROCKMAN

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: March 4, 2008 23:44

Mick jagger is always in the famous store where i work,he looks great but very shy.
Met him one time in london where his brother was playin a gig.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: March 4, 2008 23:47

he once turned up in isafjördur a village of 1500 inhabitants her in iceland coming with a italan friend of his, on a yacht.

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: March 4, 2008 23:49

Jagger dont think is important and in a way his right and that what put some reality in his life. But he and his music are important for million of people. Like me.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 5, 2008 00:05

very easy to blend in with a hat and shades, you would be surprised

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: March 5, 2008 02:58

kish_stoned
Mick jagger is always in the famous store where i work,he looks great but very shy.
Met him one time in london where his brother was playin a gig.

WALMART ?? I knew it...... (I bet it's HARRODS , huh, huh, huh... I bet, I bet....)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-05 02:59 by HelterSkelter.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 5, 2008 03:48

He has visited some clubs around New Orleans, just not while I'm there. sad smiley

Posted by: DD ()
Date: March 5, 2008 14:40

My friend saw him in the Habitat shop in Richmond just before Christmas about five years ago. Turned into an aisle and there was Mick, with some of his children. Being around Christmas, my mate saw a good opportunity for a Christmas present for me, and asked for an autograph. He said that Mick was quite approachable, not over-friendly, but decent enough.
I was looking at the autograph only the other day. Worst bloody hand-writing I've ever seen.

Declan

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: March 5, 2008 17:53

Saw him all the time with Bianca at the Studio 54, then we used to jog every other day at the Bois de Boulogne...Then I woke up and got back to reality.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 5, 2008 18:30

I bet that in these days, in most countries, the Stones off tour can live a normal life. Teenagers can hardly recon them and common fans who could have grown up!

C

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: April 16, 2008 13:18

Mick Jagger in Paris in december 2007:

video: [www.dailymotion.com]

Not as smily as in "Being Mick", shy, looking around, worrying being recognized...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 18, 2008 09:07

On the radio this morning just heard a lady describing how on her first day as a 16-year-old assistant in the camping-gear shop in Richmond, Mick Jagger plus two teenage daughters strolled in to buy a tent (probably for Glastonbury) and she had the job of showing them how to put it up. She describes Mick as being very nice, despite being aware of all the other assistants going "it's-Mick-Jagger-it's Mick-Jagger" offstage.

This must have been a few years ago as one of the daughters was Lizzie.

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: April 18, 2008 10:04

hbwriter
in black jeans, black t-shit, sunglasses and black beret

Doesn't exactly sound like the most regular-guy-outfit you could think of to me. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1359
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home