Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT What do you think of the new Peter Wolf single Tragedy
Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: February 25, 2010 17:50

It’s been eight years since Peter Wolf released a new set of tunes, but at long last, the seasoned musician’s seventh solo album, Midnight Souvenirs, is set for an April 6 release. “I took a long time making this record,” Wolf said in a recent statement. “It just didn’t seem like there was a need to rush.” Indeed, the 14-song album was two years in the making, and features guest vocals from Neko Case, Merle Haggard and Shelby Lynne.

Wolf describes Midnight Souvenirs as having a “nocturnal” quality, which seems to be a reoccurring theme for the singer/songwriter (his previous album was 2002’s Sleepless). “I tried to keep it to the adventures that go on beyond the midnight hours,” he says. Midnight Souvenirs is a merging of various musical influences from Wolf’s formative years, including rock, blues and country.

In keeping with the eclectic vibe he’s come to be known for, Wolf joined forces with songwriters Will Jennings (who co-wrote Eric Clapton’s “Tears From Heaven”) and Angelo Petraglia and Taylor Rhodes (whose songs have been recorded by Kings of Leon and Aerosmith) to create Midnight Souvenirs.

Although this will be his seventh solo album, Wolf is perhaps best known as lead singer of the J. Geils Band—the group responsible for infectious ’80s jams “Centerfold” and “Love Stinks.” The band formed in 1967 and still performs together (they recently teamed up for a New Year’s Eve performance in Connecticut), but Wolf says their upcoming Boston gig, scheduled for Jan. 23, will be the group’s last.

Still, he was quick to add, “You never say never.”

Peter Wolf new single 'Tragedy' with Shelby Lynne
[www.pastemagazine.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-06 06:35 by U2Stonesfan.

Re: OT What do you think of the new Peter Wolf single Tragedy
Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: February 25, 2010 19:16

great stuff.

j geils = grat band

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 25, 2010 19:38

mickscarey
great stuff.

j geils = grat band

c gulls = boy band

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: February 25, 2010 20:27

HAHAHAHAH. That is SO funny. WOW! Brilliant!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: February 25, 2010 21:13

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I subscribe to Paste but have not gotten my latest issue. Great magazine. For those on this site who like checking out both new (and some old) bands, it is a great publication. Each issue for years, came with a CD of 20+ tracks by many of the bands profiled in that issue. Now it comes with a code for free download of the music.

I'm anxious to check out Peter's new music. One of the true greats.

Re: OT What do you think of the new Peter Wolf single "Tragedy"
Date: April 5, 2010 17:11

Peter Wolf EPK Part 1.mov

Peter Wolf EPK Part 2.mov

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 5, 2010 17:18

Sounds really good. This album I will buy for sure. I hope he goes out on the road to promote the new material. Wolf's tour supporting Sleepless was fantastic. A really memorable gig.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: April 5, 2010 17:20

Let's hope for a tour!!! I saw him in 2003 and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen!

Date: April 5, 2010 18:33

He's on Jimmy Fallon tonight...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 5, 2010 18:52

Heard it yesterday, along with an interview. I must say, pretty good.

Posted by: Voja ()
Date: April 6, 2010 01:40

RS - 10.04.2010

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 6, 2010 02:06

...very nice....I hear so much Mick and Keith in Tragedy....must be wishful thinking????!!!

Date: April 6, 2010 18:39

He was great on Jimmy Fallon last night...you can watch it on the Late Night with Jimmy Fallon website...

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 6, 2010 21:09

Just bought this cd earliar today , I like it .

Tragedy was a real nice opener , others are quite mellow . A couple of songs have quite a "country feel " to them .

Date: April 6, 2010 21:15

Boston2006,

Are you by chance from Boston and, if you are, do you ever go see Duke Levine who plays guitar on Wolf's new and previous albums?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 6, 2010 21:57

71Tele
Heard it yesterday, along with an interview. I must say, pretty good.

think I heard the same interview, on NPR ?? made me want to get the CD. good interview.

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: April 7, 2010 00:49

I just picked this up at best buy for 7.99 blasted it all the way home grabs you right away , defintely some tunes with a stones vibe hopefully mick and keith give a listen and realize hey we can do that

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: April 7, 2010 09:43

I went through a big J. Geils phase back in the early 80's, I was around 13 when Freeze Frame was released and they hit their commercial peak. I must have heard Love Stinks before that, that may have been what first got me into them. I managed to get a bit of their older stuff and liked it too, despite it being so different from Freeze Frame. I loved their live Showtime album.

I thought Peter was the coolest guy, and I was shocked at how different they looked when I saw their older albums at a music store. Especially Peter, with his beard/huge goatee, longish hair, street hustler clothes, smoking a skinny cigar. I remember being freaked out by that for some reason because he, and the others, were so clean cut in the early 80's compared to, say, the Bloodshot era. And now I dig that stuff a lot more than Freeze Frame, which I think is pretty awful compared to their older stuff.

I haven't really kept up with his solo work, but I still think Peter's a very cool guy, and he looks great, nowhere near his age, which is an unbelievable 64.

Having said all this, I saw him on Jimmy Fallon, and while I thought the performance was top-notch and well played, and Shelby Lynne's voice was great, it just didn't do much for me. For some reason, and I'm not quite sure why, i just thought it was kind of boring. I think musically there just wasn't anything that special about it that drew me in, and despite how well it was played, I just found it rather flat.

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: April 7, 2010 09:52

Great new album - like him very much! Hope he will tour europe again

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 7, 2010 11:33

Actually I'm from Worcester and I have not seen Duke Levine .

Date: April 8, 2010 04:41

Peter Wolf on the Jimmy Fallon Show

Date: April 8, 2010 04:54

Boogie,

Give Sleepless and the new one about 10 listens. Sleepless got better and better with each listen and I just got the new one tonight and so far it's really good.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: April 8, 2010 07:40

Midnight Souvenirs picks up right where Sleepless left off. After one listen, I think it may even be a little better (and I looooooved Sleepless).

I saw in one review that while Peter Wolf isn't the best singer in the world, he is one of the most honest. Nothing mannered in the way this guy sings. He truly inhabits his songs in a special way. Was just reading another thread about Jagger's singing feeling more mannered and forced these days. You won't feel that listening to this album. Larry Campbell, lately of Dylan's band, is on here adding some great guitar etc.

Great disc, can be had on CD or download for $7.99 most places.

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: April 8, 2010 22:58

inopeng
Boogie,

Give Sleepless and the new one about 10 listens. Sleepless got better and better with each listen and I just got the new one tonight and so far it's really good.

Actually, I doubt I will ever buy any of his stuff, it just doesn't appeal to me that much (and right now I can't afford to anyway).

But your absolutely right, multiple listens can change things, which I always forget about. Not everything gets you the first time, and now that you've reminded me of that, I could see Tragedy growing on me.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 8, 2010 23:17

How about the Double Bill of The J. Geils Band and Aerosmith live at Fenway Park in Boston in August!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 9, 2010 00:41

Kurt
How about the Double Bill of The J. Geils Band and Aerosmith live at Fenway Park in Boston in August!
That sounds pretty cool.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: April 9, 2010 04:37

Kurt

Here are some photos of the boys at Fenway
[funkyjudge.net]

Date: June 23, 2010 13:19

The Peter Wolf album is awesome! Listening to it right now.

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: June 23, 2010 15:02

The great tune 'I Dont Wanna Know' hit about the same time as PMS - and is a great contrast in over-singing (Mick), versus cool under-singing (wolf). The vibe on Dont Wanna Know is cool and Stonsey, more like the early 70's than PMS, IMO.

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: June 23, 2010 16:46

Would prefer to here any "Carltons" tapes...Keith, Peter & others singing at various Ritz Carlton hotels on the 81/2 tour.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home