Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What a wonderful cover of Bye Bye Johnny
Posted by: CBII ()
Date: April 4, 2008 23:59

There's a clip from 1972 on YouTube that has to been the best one I've ever seen of any group cover that song. Keith ripping stage left and Mick Taylor ripping stage right just incredible music.

I wish we played that one live. It's a REAL ROCKER!

Re: What a wonderful cover of Bye Bye Johnny
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 5, 2008 00:18

Yes it's indeed excellent... one of their best ever Chuck Berry covers

Allthough you should hear the "Welcome To New York" version of Bye Bye Johnny from 1972; not available on video...only audio

Good luck covering it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-05 00:22 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: April 5, 2008 00:24

Good Choice....the Fort Woth 72 Board Versions are terrific too...again only audio.

JR

Date: April 5, 2008 00:30

Erik_Snow,

If I did get to play it live, I'd have the privelige of doing it with the guy that wrote it. That's one I have never played live with him. There's so much good stuff we don't do. Oh well, I'm just a side man (and struggling to do that).

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 5, 2008 00:35

Are you saying you have played with Chuck Berry CBII? Do tell!

Date: April 5, 2008 00:36

CBII, I read your posts in the Chuck Berry threads, it's very cool that you have signed in at IORR. That's why I wrote 'covering' in italic, as it's quite something that you are talking about mr Chuck Berry himself; and his band (you). Rock on

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 5, 2008 00:42

Yeah. I love this clip because for once, the focus is not entirely on Mick.

Date: April 5, 2008 00:50

ChrisM,

Mr. Rock N Roll is my father. I just got turned on to this forum today. I could not resist repling to some of the posts.

Date: April 5, 2008 00:52

Erik_Snow,

Wow, I did not think many people would have paid that close attention to my humble posts. Cool!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 5, 2008 00:52

Fantastic to have you onboard Mr. Charles Berry II.
Welcome.

Ain't it amazing - your dad inspired Keith so much and now you see Keith doing an indeed inspiring version of Bye Bye Johnny.
that's truly passing it on, as Keith always mentiones.

Now, your dad must have shown you some cool tricks on the guitar - no?

Date: April 5, 2008 01:02

open-g,

I think its a real tribute to my father Keith and others have thought his stuff was so good they emulated their hero. Jimi Hendrix's Johnny Be Goode is something to see. A hallucinogenic experience without the LSD. Keith himself is THE man when it comes to replicating my fathers style.

Indeed, my father has shown me a couple things now and again. The thing is, it's usually ON STAGE! ARRRGH! I'm an old dog and was one when I first started playing the Guitar in a band (39yrs or 40yrs old). That band was and is the CHUCK BERRY ACT!

Date: April 5, 2008 01:08

CBII, it's not too often a close family member and present band member of an often discussed legend is posting on IORR....unless they post undercover. So I noticed that entry of yours!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-05 01:53 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 5, 2008 01:34

CBII
open-g,
Indeed, my father has shown me a couple things now and again. The thing is, it's usually ON STAGE! ARRRGH! I'm an old dog and was one when I first started playing the Guitar in a band (39yrs or 40yrs old). That band was and is the CHUCK BERRY ACT!

Wow, thats amazing. I would have thought you'd have schlepped a guitar around since you where born.
How come you picked it up so late?

Thats a mighty fine band to start off with though thumbs up

any chances you're going to play in Berlin again - it's been 2005 since I've seen you and your dad.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 5, 2008 01:35

Can you say "RnR guitar interplay?" Whew! For the opening show in Vancouver it was all Taylor on lead. Then the song evolved to this smokin' interchange. Taylor's playing that nice line and Keith in his element. Wonderful!

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: April 5, 2008 01:45

say hi and thanks to Pop from all of us IORRers who know what CB did for R&R

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 5, 2008 02:19

CBII
ChrisM,

Mr. Rock N Roll is my father. I just got turned on to this forum today. I could not resist repling to some of the posts.

Too cool! An honor to meet you (cyberally at least) and welcome to the board! Please tell him from me thanks for inventing rock and roll guitar and for the great tunes!

Date: April 5, 2008 02:34

Open-G,

I have owned computer consulting businesses for over 20 years and also worked as a consultant for that entire time. I made a name for myself in that business. I still have the business but left my last clients offices after they wanted me to falsify some documentation FORGET THAT NOISE!

I replaced my brother in law after his death in 1999. Before then, I was very content just being a listener of music. It was one the job training with a major Rock Star as the frontman that also happened to be my father. The entire band has taught me everything about being a live musician. Its been a real learning processes for me, learning the breaks how to actually use the tone knobs and and pickup switches AND WHEN TO USE THEM. How to watch the front man but pay close attention to the band leader (In this case, Jimmy Marsala the bass player).

I'm just know starting to compose my own stuff (I think my stuff is worthless but at least its a start). At some point in my life, I might even release this crap so everyone can get a good laugh.

CBII

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 5, 2008 02:52

CBII, I think you're very courageous to undergo this "learning process" and your comments in the post above are good advice for musicians.

Jimi Hendrix was a friend of mine and I was interested that you singled out his version of "Johnny B. Goode" as that was a song that had special significance for him.

Your dad's a great writer and I still have high hopes I'll hear the Stones do "Carol" etc. etc. etc. again LIVE.

Thanks for joining us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1538
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home