Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Neil Young to release lost album
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 1, 2008 22:57

Neil Young and Crazy Horse are resurrecting their aborted 2000 album Toast for release sometime in the near future. Recorded at San Francisco’s Toast Studios, the group worked for a few frustrating months on the disc before scrapping nearly all of it. According to a post on Young’s website, the album’s co-producer John Hanlon is at work mixing the songs. “Many songs share a bluesy, jazz-tinged vibe as a common thread,” the post says. “Three solid rockers are interspersed in the mix. Other songs are long with extensive explorations between verses, a Crazy Horse trademark, kind of like a down-played Tonight’s the Night, except these songs deal directly with love and loss, not drugs.”

The item concludes with the news that “This first NYA ‘Special Edition’ is the beginning of a new series of unreleased albums.” This begs some questions: Is he also going to release the fabled Homegrown (1975), Chrome Dreams (1977), Times Square (1989) and god knows what else is sitting in the vault? Isn’t the box set supposed to come out this year? Why release these things separately? Anyway, for a good idea of what the Toast songs might be sound like, check out this killer performance of “Goin’ Home” below. It’s the only track to survive the sessions, and probably the best song he’s put out in the past decade.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: OT: Neil Young to release lost album
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 1, 2008 23:05

not the lost album I was expecting but still good news!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 2, 2008 01:39

I know what day it is Glam and so does Neil!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-02 01:40 by ChrisM.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 2, 2008 02:13

Anyone know why Time Fades Away and Journey Through The Past remain unreleased on CD?, and why Neil's bizarre (but fascinating) Journey Through The Past MOVIE remains unreleased on DVD?

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: April 2, 2008 02:29

This is fantastic news!

I feared this album would never see the light of day.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: April 2, 2008 05:37

Very intriguing news.

I wasn't crazy about the Are You Passionate? album that evolved out of the abandoned sessions at Toast Studios, but I like the idea that something forced Neil & Co. to re-evaluate the original material.

I think it perhaps speaks well for the recordings that in retrospect they somehow could not be denied...

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: April 2, 2008 08:48

Thanks for the info - good news indeed !

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: April 2, 2008 10:19

Time fades away and Journey of the past weren´t released as CDs because they couldn´t be remastered because of the recording process then. They were supposed to be released in the 90s but in the end when 4 of the missing 6 were released they were not.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: April 2, 2008 10:25

tatters
Anyone know why Time Fades Away and Journey Through The Past remain unreleased on CD?, and why Neil's bizarre (but fascinating) Journey Through The Past MOVIE remains unreleased on DVD?

Yeah, if I have it right he claims that the "TIME FADES AWAY" album bums him out and brings back some bad memories.... "JOURNEY" is another thing (but it may be the same reason as "TIME FADES AWAY" more or less).....

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: April 2, 2008 10:31

Islands in the sun is also an unreleased album

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 2, 2008 11:58

Wasn't there a country album that he ditched just after Harvest was released - perhaps around 73. I saw him with CSN at Wembley in 74 and he played then unreleased songs such as Love Art Blues, Hawaiian Sunrise, Traces, which cropped on albums over the years.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 2, 2008 12:02

So after "Chrome Dreams II", it's now "Toast". Well, I like quite a few songs from Neil's genre exercise in Memphis soul music, "Are You Passionate". I guess we'll have to wait and see if different versions of the same songs add to the oeuvre of the man. Hopefully, there is not much overlap.
Releasing "Times Square" would have been a great idea, I guess.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 2, 2008 14:18

Silver Dagger
Wasn't there a country album that he ditched just after Harvest was released - perhaps around 73. I saw him with CSN at Wembley in 74 and he played then unreleased songs such as Love Art Blues, Hawaiian Sunrise, Traces, which cropped on albums over the years.

He's pretty much always played unreleased songs - there's a great bootleg which came out a few years ago called 'Archives Be Damned' which contains FIVE cds worth of live performances of unreleased songs - and there are countless shelved album projects.

You're probably thinking of 'Homegrown' which was recorded in the mid 70's and was scheduled for release in 1975. He instead chose to release another album which had been gathering dust for a couple of years - 'Tonight's The Night'

More info on 'Homegrown' here - [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 2, 2008 14:39

I read that his recent shows were superb? Did anyone go?

Date: April 2, 2008 14:44

ablett
I read that his recent shows were superb? Did anyone go?

[www.iorr.org]

there's a brilliant 5-disc, European tour compilation set, on Dime
worthy of download.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 2, 2008 14:55

I run macs and never managed to get my head around downloading from these sites....

Sounds exciting though.

Just order the Dylan Radio hour set though.....

Date: April 2, 2008 15:15

email me, ablett

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 2, 2008 16:19

bluesinc.
Time fades away and Journey of the past weren´t released as CDs because they couldn´t be remastered because of the recording process then. They were supposed to be released in the 90s but in the end when 4 of the missing 6 were released they were not.

I thought I'd read something like that, but I don't understand it. What was so different about the recording process of those two albums that makes them impossible to ever remaster for CD?

Posted by: Jocke ()
Date: April 2, 2008 16:30

When will The Archives Vol.01 1963-1972 be released? Anyone?

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 2, 2008 16:56

As Gazza mentions its worth grabbing Archieve Be Damned. Songs like Sad Movies which he has been playing on his current tour is on there as well as a bunch of other unreleased gems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1225
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home