Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Shine a Light on Vinyl?
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: February 20, 2008 16:06

any idea if Shine a light will be released on vinyl?

Lucky enough for them to release 'Rarities' on vinyl, but no such luck with 'Live Licks' and I've never found any evidence of a 'Forty Licks' vinyl release.

so which way will this go, all talk seems to be about wither a single or double format CD.

Re: Shine a Light on Vinyl?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 20, 2008 19:08

I'd love a vinyl release...but I'm not expecting it.
I don't think there'd be enough perceived demand.
I sort of feel lucky that we've enjoyed vinyl releases for most albums over the last number of years.
I've always sought out the vinyl...even where it meant having a heated discussion with the shop in order to convince them of it's existance and the fact that they could order it if they wanted !

Posted by: stein ()
Date: February 20, 2008 19:57

Monkeytonkman
any idea if Shine a light will be released on vinyl?

Lucky enough for them to release 'Rarities' on vinyl, but no such luck with 'Live Licks' and I've never found any evidence of a 'Forty Licks' vinyl release.

so which way will this go, all talk seems to be about wither a single or double format CD.

Forty Licks and Live Licks on vinyl are both up for sale on ebay right now.
They are released by Virgin Holland and in 1000 copies each.

Search eBay worldvide

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: February 20, 2008 21:01

I've got both Live Licks and Forthy Licks on vinyl . Very expensive through ebay auctions , hope you got a lot of cash hanging around .

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: February 20, 2008 21:49

I've always been under the impression that these are counterfeits in spite of the extreme effort that was expended to make them look legit (labels w/logo, catalog numbers, etc.). But I note further that I have no conclusive evidence one way or the other. Nonetheless, I bought a vinyl copy of Live Licks at a record show sometime ago, even though I thought its legitimacy was questionable. Can't recall what I paid for it but it was definitely less than the three-figure sums I see them sell for on eBay.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: February 20, 2008 22:12

Forty & Live Licks never been released on vinyl! Copies out there are boots. Sad but true

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 21, 2008 01:06

Will Universal be pressing the Shine A Light CD? Is that confirmed?

If so, the question is, have they been active, pressing vinyls in the near past?

Anyone know?

Virgin certainly weren't, besides Bigger Bang and Rarities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-21 01:13 by Guðni Gunnarsson.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: February 21, 2008 08:36

a collector of vinyl myself,I also believe '40' & Live Licks' were bogus issues..in fact these were first 2 Stones records NOT to issued on vinyl in a longtime I think....even if bands release vinyl in limited editions, I think they make their $ back...the weak US dollar has prevented me from buying several lp's this past year since most of the pressings are imports...I applaud U2 for making a 2 lp set of the 'Joshua Tree' available last year...since the original was only 1 lp, the expanded version sounds quite awsome if you are an audiophile with a decent stereo set-up...and yes, you have to get up from your lazy chair more often to flip the record...but for me, it's worth the trouble...I always welcome vinyl editions for my favorite bands but tend to shy away from re-issues that still contain over 22 minutes of music per side...the weight of the vinyl doesn't seem to be much of a factor for me...it's also possible for bands/labels to sell more vinyl if they let their fans know this format is available !...in my humble opinion, 'Shine a Light' should be released as a 2 lp set..mastered for vinyl !..and include a movie poster,special colored flexi-disk containing the Berlin press conference & special collector postcards aka 'Exile' release for $24.99....now that's something to get excited about....peter

Date: February 21, 2008 10:29

peter
...in my humble opinion, 'Shine a Light' should be released as a 2 lp set..mastered for vinyl !..and include a movie poster,special colored flexi-disk containing the Berlin press conference & special collector postcards aka 'Exile' release for $24.99....now that's something to get excited about....peter

We can dream winking smiley

On the subject of vinyl and album length...one album that would benefit from double disc re-mastering is Steel Wheels. Horribly compressed on vinyl.
Flashpoint is another.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-21 10:32 by Spud.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: February 21, 2008 11:01

Universal is pressing vinyl. But if Shine a light becomes vinyl, we will see. That´s all we can talk about now!

Posted by: peter ()
Date: February 21, 2008 11:38

I don't consider myself a dreamer...my opinions/marketing thoughts are well within reason for both fans & the suits who need to show a profit for anything they do...I only wish the suits had a clue about what THE fans would really appreciate & make it work....peter

Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: February 21, 2008 11:54

It has already been said - both Forty Licks and Live Licks are counterfeits (I wouldn't call them bootlegs) and I still don't owe them. Before buying this kind of stuff I'd rather buy me the hardware I'd need to cut my own vinyl. See here: [www.vinylrecorder.com] (in German but you'll get the idea).

silkcut

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 28, 2008 01:14

silkcut1978
IBefore buying this kind of stuff I'd rather buy me the hardware I'd need to cut my own vinyl. See here: [www.vinylrecorder.com] (in German but you'll get the idea).

silkcut

wow, a starter kit for 3200.- €uro - interesting.

btw, the site is also in english.[www.vinylrecorder.com]

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: February 28, 2008 03:42

In todays world, when musicians are recording, are they doing it digitally? If yes, then it wouldn't matter if it's on CD, Vinyl or 8 Track, it would still have that tinny digital quality? yes? no?

Wouldn't they have to record in analog for vinyl to be effective?

Can someone clear this up, I'm a little confused, as you can tell.

Thanks.

Date: February 28, 2008 10:40

Yes and no ;^).

There was a time when you would have been right...because Didital recording was crap,period.

Modern Digital recording equipment is much much better than the sadly inadequate stuff rushed into service in the '80s. The CD format itself has now become the major limiting factor. It simply does not have the information carrying capacity to preserve either good analogue or digital recordings.

The common arguments that analogue is nice and warm whilst digital is tinny and strerile are big red herrings. Those aren't the real issues...though they may be a common side effect.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-28 10:48 by Spud.

Date: February 28, 2008 12:13

Sure you're right spud - the comparsion between analogue/warm and digital/tinny isn't that correct and as you wrote, it's more because of the CD and its limitations. But on the other hand I haven't heard a digital recording on vinyl yet that sounds excellent. A Bigger Band on vinyl is nice to look at but that's it - I think I won't play it again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-28 12:13 by silkcut1978.

Date: February 28, 2008 12:39

A Bigger Band on vinyl is nice to look at but that's it - I think I won't play it again.

That's probably because the goal in the mixing and mastering process is the CD format in which the product is mainly marketed.
If an artist/company is aiming for vinyl releases they can consider the dynamics and frequencies to match.

the rat-race to have the loudest album on the market always gets in the way - even in the old vinyl days.
...and, not every album sounded good just because it was first released as vinyl.

Date: February 28, 2008 13:03

open-g
...and, not every album sounded good just because it was first released as vinyl.

yep, but honestly I couldn't name a single album from the British Decca that didn't sound good. Even the odd-ones like Stone Age and Milestones sound brilliant to my ears. But the SACDs come close and there we go again with the limits of the CD ;-)

Date: February 28, 2008 15:33

The worst problem with many releases today is in that quest for loudness and impact rather than in the recording medium. It actually compresses any real dynamics which are present in the recording..just shoves everything out loud and in yer face.

And nobody records "air" any more. I guess that's a legacy of the CD era and early digital recorders ...which didn't have the resolution to capture any real detail or low level information.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-28 15:38 by Spud.

Date: February 28, 2008 19:48

And nobody records "air" any more.

true - that's because of the different approaches of the media.

digital domain has to never cross the 0 dB mark as a ceiling and can't let the sound sink into grainy digital noise.

vinyl has the low frequency rumble as a carpet to start off from and can exceed up to the +12 dB mark.
that's a great dynamic range.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 28, 2008 21:04

No SAL on vinyl planned as of now.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1809
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home