Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Beatles’ Abbey Road Studios for Sale to Cut EMI Debt
Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: February 18, 2010 23:45

CindyC
...There is a really pretty courtyard styled garden out back that can be accessed from the bottom flat, but it's kind of fun to have the front flat because you can watch the fans - and you can tell they're looking at you to see if you're someone important (which might not actually be fun if you are important, but if you're not like me - then it is quite a novelty)

Thanks for your answer.
When i was there with my camera, I've seen tons of japanese fans who tried to clone
the famous picture, no offense to japanese fans, there are some others of course but it was fun>grinning smiley<

HMN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 18, 2010 23:50

Havent we all done it? LOL....even with the zebra crossing. it's not the safest road to cross, it has to be said. I think a few tourists have been mown down over the last 40 years.

Date: February 18, 2010 23:54

Gazza
Havent we all done it? LOL....even with the zebra crossing. it's not the safest road to cross, it has to be said. I think a few tourists have been mown down over the last 40 years.

For sure, anyway it worth the visit , the place is pretty fine !

HMN

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 19, 2010 00:02

OH yeah - you have to get that photo!

I hope there weren't too many IORRers who were/are too cool for this.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 19, 2010 00:09

I have not visited there yet, but maybe we could start a thread "Post your Abbey Road photo".

Date: February 19, 2010 22:18

This thread inspired me to go find my Abbey Road photos and scan them. Unfortunately, I forgot how poor these photos came out. This is long before you could see what you got on the image screen and do a retake.

Anyway, here are my little memories and forgive some of the cheesy staged poses, we were pretty overwhelmed. I've blurred out the faces to protect the ugly - bad hair/bad clothes.

Studio A (I believe, I guess the Beatles only used this one occassionally)

Walking down into STUDIO B!!!! It's a really huge room with much higher ceilings that I would have expected. I was surprised how you have to walk down into it. This scanned really dark, sorry.

Being dorks in the vocal booths, think this is in B.

On the Studio B staircase. I know know why he took that shot with all the shit in front of the lens. Unfortunately, those are the end of my studio B photos, I know I have more, but can't find them.

In one of the control rooms with the security guy (Robin?) who gave us the tour. Sweetheart - i think he'd been there for years and years if memory serves...

Abbey Road Flats - garden - the wall next to the guy standing is the studio building. I don't know who that lady is, or how/why she got there.

From the little balcony on the front of the first floor flat. The parking lot you see is the front of the studio. The people staying in the flats got to park in there, so you got to look super cool as you exited your car and walked next door (I know I'm a loser >grinning smiley<)

And this concludes our little trip down CindyC's memory lane.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: February 19, 2010 23:16

Great Cindy thanks for the virtual visitthumbs up

HMN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 19, 2010 23:34

Thanks, Cindy. You all look very happy to be there!

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: February 20, 2010 00:24

lucky You !

The "Holy Grail" of The Beatles Indeed

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 20, 2010 04:01

CINDY! Wow great photos and what wonderful memories you have. You are very lucky. It is my dream to visit there! Soon! I hope they don't shut it down!!!! Come on Macca buy it!

Date: February 20, 2010 04:56

Thanks guys - glad you liked my little virtual tour. It was magical - I consider myself very fortunate to have had that opportunity.

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: February 20, 2010 12:57

Has this been posted before ?

Andrew Lloyd Webber has declared interest in buying the studio - maybe he'll turn it into a museum ...

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 21, 2010 19:30

Abbey Road studios 'not for sale'
Music group EMI has said it is not considering selling London's Abbey Road studios.

EMI released a statement saying the studios, made famous by a Beatles album, should stay under its ownership.

The firm added it had rejected a offer for the historic building last year and was working with "third parties" about funding a "revitalisation project".

It ends days of speculation after it was reported that struggling EMI would sell Abbey Road to ease debts.

The reports led to Facebook campaigns to try to save it, the National Trust said it would look into buying the property and even composer Andrew Lloyd Webber expressed an interest in owning the studio.

However, on Sunday EMI said that while it was looking for an investor in the site, based at 3 Abbey Road in St John's Wood, it was not looking for a buyer.

'Revitalise studios'

"In response to recent press speculation, EMI confirms that it is holding preliminary discussions for the revitalisation of Abbey Road with interested and appropriate third parties," the company said.

"Abbey Road studios had, for a number of years, been losing money and we have developed plans to revitalise the studios.

"These plans would involve a substantial injection of new capital."

The company said it also welcomed reports that English Heritage was accelerating plans to list the site, and said it had been holding discussions over the regeneration plans since November.

It added: "In mid-2009, we did receive an offer to buy Abbey Road for in excess of £30m but this was rejected since we believe that Abbey Road should remain in EMI's ownership."

The Beatles used Abbey Road for 90% of their recordings, naming an album after the studios in 1969.

EMI bought the property for £100,000 in 1929, transforming it into the world-famous studios that have hosted artists as diverse as composer Sir Edward Elgar in 1931, to Pink Floyd and Blur.

EMI, which counts Robbie Williams and Coldplay among its artists, posted a £1.75bn loss for the year to March 2009 in accounts earlier this month.

Story from BBC NEWS:
[news.bbc.co.uk]

Published: 2010/02/21 15:54:02 GMT

© BBC MMX

[news.bbc.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 21, 2010 19:44

Please god let in not be turned into a Starbucks!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 23, 2010 22:56

deadegad
Please god let in not be turned into a Starbucks!

Abbey Road made listed building
London's Abbey Road studios, where The Beatles recorded many albums, has been made a listed building, protecting it from plans to radically alter it.

The venue has been given Grade II status - the second-highest category - for its role in shaping British music.

Culture Minister Margaret Hodge listed the studios on the advice of English Heritage saying it had "produced some of the very best music in the world".

Its owners EMI recently denied reports it was to be sold off to ease debts.

Listing for the property, whose official address is 3 Abbey Road, was granted due to its historic, rather than architectural, merit.

It means any future owners must be careful to make sure the character of the property is treated with respect, but it does not prohibit internal changes.

The Beatles used Abbey Road for 90% of their recordings, naming an album after the studios in 1969.

Other notable recordings there included Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon.

The Department for Culture Media and Sport said the listing acknowledged the studios' "outstanding cultural interest" and was to ensure recording artists for generations to come could continue to make and record music in the same rooms as musical icons.

Last week figures such as Sir Paul McCartney voiced their concern that EMI was reported to be hoping to sell the studios, while Andrew Lloyd Webber expressed an interest in buying the complex.

However, EMI later said it did not want to put the property up for sale.

EMI bought the property for £100,000 in 1929, transforming it into the world-famous studios that have hosted artists as diverse as composer Sir Edward Elgar in 1931, to Pink Floyd and Blur.

Story from BBC NEWS:
[news.bbc.co.uk]

Published: 2010/02/23 19:13:48 GMT

© BBC MMX

[news.bbc.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 23, 2010 23:07

THE AUSTRALIAN - 23 February 2010

ROCKMAN

Date: February 23, 2010 23:15

Gazza - the white building next to the studio in Rockman's photo - that's the building that has the flats.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: February 24, 2010 04:00

London's Abbey Road studios is to be listed, granting it protection from major changes.

The announcement from the UK's department for culture, media and sport comes two days after its owners, struggling music group EMI, said they would not sell the studios following a public outcry.

But EMI did say it is in talks about a project to "revitalise" the studios that "would involve a substantial injection of new capital".

"Abbey Road Studios have produced some of the very best music in the world," said culture minister Margaret Hodge.

"It's a testament to both the importance of music in people's lives, as well as the passion this kind of issue stirs up, that so much interest has been generated by the perceived threat to the future of Abbey Road."

EMI bought the property in the plush Saint John's Wood area of north London for 100,000 pounds in 1929.

The Beatles used the studios for most of their recordings in the 1960s, including the 1969 album Abbey Road, whose sleeve featured a picture of the Fab Four walking across a pedestrian crossing outside the studio.

Other famous names to have made music there include Radiohead, Blur and Pink Floyd.

The Grade II listing has been granted on the basis of historical interest.

It means that if the owners want to make significant alterations to it, they have to receive permission from the local authority.

There are nearly 375,000 listed structures in England, but it is highly unusual for this kind of building to join their ranks.

Rightly so

Date: February 24, 2010 23:02

Melbourne AGE - 25 Feb 2010

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 24, 2010 23:32

Cindy, you're holding out. I heard many exciting rumors about your visit and the fabulous Champagne that was offered to you. By a name so BIG I dare not speak it.

Date: February 24, 2010 23:53

ooooh Stonesrule - I SO wish that were true. But alas, I have never been that lucky. I'm sure YOU have though! We're not even in the same league.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 25, 2010 02:41

Don't under rate yourself, sistah!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 25, 2010 02:58

Rockman

Melbourne AGE - 25 Feb 2010
Rocky,never mind Abbey Road. What the hell is that monstrous looking thing in the photo?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 25, 2010 03:33

Does anyone have any updates on the fate of Olympic Studios? I haven't read anything new about it since it closed. confused smiley

Date: February 25, 2010 06:27

Here ya go Sweetcharmed .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: February 25, 2010 10:13

His Majesty
Does anyone have any updates on the fate of Olympic Studios? I haven't read anything new about it since it closed. confused smiley

Yes, maybe the Stones should have tried to put Olympic Studios on the cover of Beggars Banquet instead of a toilet.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home