Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: If Brian were alive today......
Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 17, 2010 00:34

I guess I'm the only one who thinks he could play with the Stones again.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 17, 2010 00:34

You probabaly wouldn't of heard from him. Maybe he would be a reclusive person. maybe a Peter Green type or a Sid Barret type. Maybe just another has been if he was alive. Like Pete Best playing small bars remembering what he did in 1962.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-17 00:38 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 17, 2010 01:07

>>>btw..I found proof on youtube that he could sing...and he sounds like Sonny Bono

Yes, Brian has quite a flair for mimicry..his American accent is perfect.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 17, 2010 02:22

Marhsall
What do you think his comments/reactions would beon the music of the Stones now?
I'm sure he would have praised B.O.M.H. & other blues songs... but I think he would have slammed steel wheels pretty bad!

Any thought's?

Because they FIRED him, I doubt he would have much of anything to say about them at all. Certainly nothing positive. I'm trying to think of a similar situation involving someone who is still alive .... David Crosby was fired by the Byrds in 1967. He doesn't have much to say about them, and he rarely performs any Byrds material, not even the songs he wrote for them. He DOES enjoy quoting what McGuinn and Hillman said to him when they fired him. They said, "We think we'll do much better without you".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-17 02:26 by tatters.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 17, 2010 02:43

tatters
I'm trying to think of a similar situation involving someone who is still alive ....

Like Pete Best?

Well, until 2006 (when he died) I would still say Syd Barret who I refered to as well. I think the self-hate and extreme drug abuse would have rendered him socially useless, much like Syd. (one day the band decided to simply not pick up Syd before a gig - he had already thought he was an orange that they all wanted to peel - literally - anyways, so no big loss!)

Brian was fired, and he brought it all to himself from what I've read. And Barret was ill as well, but his recreational drug choices had a lot to do with accelerating it - like brian, bringing upon elements of the decline himself. Sad, really, in both cases. Thank GOD both bands moved on!!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-17 02:46 by jamesfdouglas.

Date: February 17, 2010 02:45

He would have left the Stones after being sick and tired of no song writing credits!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 17, 2010 02:53

I really don't see the point of threads like this since none of you knew Brian and can't possibly know how he would have evolved or not in the past 40 years.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: February 17, 2010 03:06

Brian was good musician,when the stones started,he worked hard for the band,he went out of his way for the press to notice the band as the years rolled on he lost the direction what with lots of money,drugs and beautiful women. We must give him the credit for the start of the band all the members were imporant as each other.In the end brian was weak and we lost A GOOD MUSICIAN,
BRIAN IS RESTING IN THE HEAVEN AND WATCHING US ENJOY HIS BAND WHICH HE WAS PART OF IT IN THE 60S

Date: February 17, 2010 03:10

jamesfdouglas
tatters
I'm trying to think of a similar situation involving someone who is still alive ....

Like Pete Best?

Well, until 2006 (when he died) I would still say Syd Barret who I refered to as well. I think the self-hate and extreme drug abuse would have rendered him socially useless, much like Syd. (one day the band decided to simply not pick up Syd before a gig - he had already thought he was an orange that they all wanted to peel - literally - anyways, so no big loss!)

Brian was fired, and he brought it all to himself from what I've read. And Barret was ill as well, but his recreational drug choices had a lot to do with accelerating it - like brian, bringing upon elements of the decline himself. Sad, really, in both cases. Thank GOD both bands moved on!!!

Pete Best really isn't a similar case. Unlike Pete, Brian was already a world-famous, world-class musician when the Stones fired him. He would have had many options open to him as far as who he could have worked with. He would have had no trouble putting together a band of heavyweights. When the Beatles became famous, music biz types sought out Pete Best and TRIED to make something of his dormant career, but found to their dismay that he had no discernible talent.

Syd Barret is probably the closest parallel we can find as far as what Brian would have been like had he survived into old age. But I don't think Brian would have become a recluse. He loved being famous too much. He would have tried to stay in the spotlight for as long as possible.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 17, 2010 04:22

When I viewed this thread, I was hoping to see a picture (a la Photoshop) of what Brian would have looked like if he was alive today.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 17, 2010 05:49

if brain were alive today, he'd be rolling over in his grave

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 17, 2010 07:26

I don't see what purpose this sort of speculation serves. If JFK had lived would the US had gotten mired in Vietnam? If John Lennon had lived would The Beatles have reunited?...they didn't live and we can't know what would have happened. We have the records, that's enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-17 07:29 by 71Tele.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: February 17, 2010 07:59

If Brian had lived, he would not have been interested in much the band did, except Moonlight Mile. Would not have been interested at all in Brown Sugar or Can't You Hear Me Knocking. I think he might have been in a similar supergroup to The Travelling Wilburys, but with John Lennon, Neil Young, Phil Everly, and Rod Stewart.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 17, 2010 08:58

He would look and play not as well as Keith. If He had rejoined the Stones he would be on board with their their below par performance because he liked the money and glamor more than being left out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-17 08:58 by deadegad.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: February 17, 2010 09:24

Bliss
Some random thoughts:

I don't think he would have gotten very far after leaving the Stones. It would all depend if Stones money kept coming in to finance his projects. Otherwise, I think he might have had a similar fate as Mick Taylor. The reason is that he couldn't sing and couldn't compose. His progress would therefore be very limited, unless he met up with other musicians who had those gifts, and who were in the right place at the right time.

That's exactly what I think. Nothing against you in this thread but some statements seem to ignore the fact that Brian Jonaes also would have aged and lived on in times when the Rolling Stones did no more impact society as they did in the 1960s. He would have had to adapt to the change of time like all of the 1960s rock stars do more or less successfully.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: February 17, 2010 11:30

jamesfdouglas
It wasn't that simple that he just "brought it all on himself". It wasn't just about his use of drugs. The story of Brian and the Stones is a bit more complicated than that. There are always two sides in a conflict and even though Brian did have problems (not only with drugs) he is not the only one to blame here for what happend to him. But I know that it's easy to blame Brian for it depending on what you read. If I'd only read Goldmans book about Lennon I wouldn't have any high thoughts about him at all. Also Brian and Syd's story are different from each other. Syd didn't function at all and had a band that cared very much for him. Brian was clean in 69 and could play but had a band that didn't care for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-17 11:39 by tonterapi.

Date: February 17, 2010 15:30

71Tele
I don't see what purpose this sort of speculation serves. If JFK had lived would the US had gotten mired in Vietnam? If John Lennon had lived would The Beatles have reunited?...they didn't live and we can't know what would have happened. We have the records, that's enough.

The answer to your first question is yes. The answer to your second question is no. They're interesting questions. The fact that no one can know the answers is no reason not to discuss them. In fact, that's exactly why they're fun to discuss. What if Mickey Mantle had played for the Giants and Willie Mays had played for the Yankees? It's just good fodder for fun bar room conversation, that's all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-17 15:34 by tatters.

Date: February 17, 2010 15:39

Here's a good one: What if Mick and Keith had never met one another? Would we know their names today? Which one would be more famous?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 17, 2010 17:07

tatters
71Tele

The answer to your first question is yes. The answer to your second question is no. They're interesting questions. The fact that no one can know the answers is no reason not to discuss them. In fact, that's exactly why they're fun to discuss. What if Mickey Mantle had played for the Giants and Willie Mays had played for the Yankees? It's just good fodder for fun bar room conversation, that's all.

Speaking of that, you should pick up the new bio of Willie Mays.

Date: February 17, 2010 17:12

71Tele
tatters
71Tele

Speaking of that, you should pick up the new bio of Willie Mays.

Yeah, I heard him interviewed on NPR last week. Boggles my mind to think that he's pushing 80. When I was a kid living on Long Island, I used to take the train to Shea Stadium whenever the SF Giants were in town. Always got there early, so I could watch Mays and McCovey take batting practice. Sorta lost interest in baseball after all my heroes retired. Nolan Ryan was the last to go.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 17, 2010 17:20

tatters
Because they FIRED him, I doubt he would have much of anything to say about them at all.

Is it true that firing Brian was really Ian Stewart's idea?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 17, 2010 17:26

The Sicilian
tatters
Because they FIRED him, I doubt he would have much of anything to say about them at all.

Is it true that firing Brian was really Ian Stewart's idea?

He, atleast, was not opposed to the idea. He even actively sought out a replacement for him. Ian's thoughts on the issue can be heard in the 6 part BBC radio/Alexis Korner documentary.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 17, 2010 18:41

If Brian were alive today - he'd probably be scratching the lid of his coffin screaming "LET ME OUT - LET ME OUT!!"

sorry - had to.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: February 17, 2010 18:54

Sorry but this subject has been beaten to death ...

Nothing new ever comes of it and folks just get more solid
in their positions..

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 17, 2010 18:55

What if......

...they never went seperated ways ?

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 17, 2010 19:01

Now THAT is an interesting question!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: February 17, 2010 19:03

shortfatfanny
What if......

...they never went seperated ways ?

They'd both be dead!? confused smiley

Date: February 17, 2010 19:06

Probably but threads title is the "If Brian were alive today" version...and
question meant in this direction...eye rolling smiley

Date: February 17, 2010 19:12

My apologies for breaking the rules of What If threads. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: February 17, 2010 19:16

His Majesty
My apologies for breaking the rules of What If threads. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

What if you´re wrong and I´m the one to blame ? tongue sticking out smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1510
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home