Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Any news on tour dates?
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 14, 2008 10:17

This forum has gone very quiet lately, this time last year we were all waiting for the Stones to anounce their new dates and people in the 'know' were giving their opinions , i.e. Gazza BV...SO is anything going to happen this year? does anyone know, are there any rumours (apart from Asia, and that may now be 2009)....just something would be good to get everyone talking again.

Re: Any news on tour dates?
Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 14, 2008 10:20

i think some have given up and i guess i'm now thinking that too. we'll just have the movie to tide us over for a while.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 14, 2008 10:30

Donnow if anyone has used the term "tour"?

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 14, 2008 11:46

Well, I think that they just deserve some rest now for a while. I am sure we will se them on tour again, but I would rather see them strong and rested than being more and more tired because of non-stop touring. I don't want to start again the topic about Keith during the last ABB leg in Europe, I don't think he has any problems with his health. He was just tired and who wouldn't be after 2 years on tour? So honestly - I don't really want to see them for a while. I am looking forward to a new tour with "fresh" band and new material. And boys deserve some time to get ready for this.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 14, 2008 11:47

"Cocoonooc" or something like that said from the beginning: no tour in 2008.
Mind my words, he said

Date: February 14, 2008 12:19

maybe it was cocoforcocnuts - name taken from a kid's cereal commercial in the 70s in the US.

Date: February 14, 2008 12:55

little queenie
maybe it was cocoforcocnuts - name taken from a kid's cereal commercial in the 70s in the US.

Yes, I think that's him

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 14, 2008 13:22

Don't shoot me down but I'm not sure I'd want another full blown tour. The ABB shows I saw were amongst the best. With Rio, Super Bowl, the superb DVD set, Shine Alight etc. I'd probably like to see them go out on a high?

I'd dread the stones getting to old and ending up like some sort of Chuck Berry.

On the other hand I would like to see them perform a few special shows,acoustic maybe that are broadcast for everyone to see.....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 14, 2008 14:14

pgarof
This forum has gone very quiet lately, this time last year we were all waiting for the Stones to anounce their new dates and people in the 'know' were giving their opinions , i.e. Gazza BV...SO is anything going to happen this year? does anyone know, are there any rumours (apart from Asia, and that may now be 2009)....just something would be good to get everyone talking again.

they seem to have changed their original plans (from late last year) for spring 2008 shows for some reason (which we can only speculate)...which isnt unprecedented after a lengthy tour. Voodoo Lounge was going to continue into spring 1996 with shows in India and there were plans to play spring 2004 shows in the US after the Licks tour, neither of which came off for various reasons.

It seems that once they take a few months off they seem to have trouble being motivated again to tour in short bursts. It always seems to be the full blown prolonged tour behind a 'product' or nothing, although I still think that pattern will change sooner or later.

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, Darryl Jones made a post on the forum of his own website last week where he mentioned about the fact that he's trying to get some recording done "before I get the call from the boys" or words to that effect. Which would suggest there could well be some kind of touring activity at some point in 2008

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 14, 2008 14:23

ablett
Don't shoot me down but I'm not sure I'd want another full blown tour. The ABB shows I saw were amongst the best. With Rio, Super Bowl, the superb DVD set, Shine Alight etc. I'd probably like to see them go out on a high?

I'd dread the stones getting to old and ending up like some sort of Chuck Berry.

On the other hand I would like to see them perform a few special shows,acoustic maybe that are broadcast for everyone to see.....

I dont want another mega tour either. I'd much rather they pursued the sort of model that Dylan has been doing in recent years and that the Dead and afew others have done. Ie, do maybe 3 mini-tours per year - every year - of maybe 15-20 shows at a time.

That way it gives them time to do other things they want - which at their age, most 'normal' people have earned the right to do - and it also means no lengthy gaps between Stones activity of some sort. I think they realise they're at a stage in their lives/career where taking a couple of years off between tours isnt really an option anymore for them if theyre going to continue as a functioning act.

I like the idea of 'special shows' too, but its going to take a huge sea change in the modus operandi theyve used for the last 35-plus years for them to work as a band on a scale which doesnt mean some lengthy and prolonged activity.

Posted by: Lord Sinclair ()
Date: February 14, 2008 16:41

Here, here. I like this Dylan style tour of announcing a few months here and few months there with short notice for tickets at smaller venues.

My biggest regret of 2007? Not seeing Dylan when he came to my town to play a new outdoor venue that only holds 5-7 thousand. Some said it was a real moment to remember. But I did happen to see his bus in traffic as he arrived the afternoon of the show and got a wave from the man himself.

Sometimes relocating to the American midwest can be very good, indeed.

Posted by: redrum ()
Date: February 14, 2008 16:48

I doubt that the boys will do a tour 08, but that doesn't mean they won't do some shows to promote the movie. Stay tuned...

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: February 14, 2008 16:50

It would be nice to see the movie have it's own kind of success...then maybe a new disc and then perhaps a summer /late fall tour. what do you think?!

Posted by: redrum ()
Date: February 14, 2008 17:00

Well, by fall 08 I think a new studio album may be in the works, or at least serious thinking about it.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: February 14, 2008 17:07

ablett
Don't shoot me down but I'm not sure I'd want another full blown tour.

Prat.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 14, 2008 17:16

touché cocker!!

Read the rest of my thread a muppet.....

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 14, 2008 17:40

Can't see them selling out big stadiums again at the moment.

They had their problems on this last one already.

For the market it would be best to have a break of 2-3 years at least. But at their age they can't do that.

So I'd say they either do distant markets or (some) arena dates.
(but they would make competition to themselves (SAL) with doing so . .)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-14 17:42 by CousinC.

Date: February 14, 2008 17:59

Gazza
ablett

I dont want another mega tour either. I'd much rather they pursued the sort of model that Dylan has been doing in recent years and that the Dead and afew others have done. Ie, do maybe 3 mini-tours per year - every year - of maybe 15-20 shows at a time.

That way it gives them time to do other things they want - which at their age, most 'normal' people have earned the right to do - and it also means no lengthy gaps between Stones activity of some sort. I think they realise they're at a stage in their lives/career where taking a couple of years off between tours isnt really an option anymore for them if theyre going to continue as a functioning act.

I like the idea of 'special shows' too, but its going to take a huge sea change in the modus operandi theyve used for the last 35-plus years for them to work as a band on a scale which doesnt mean some lengthy and prolonged activity.

As always Sir Gazza, well said

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 14, 2008 20:41

Happy24
Well, I think that they just deserve some rest now for a while. I am sure we will se them on tour again, but I would rather see them strong and rested than being more and more tired because of non-stop touring. I don't want to start again the topic about Keith during the last ABB leg in Europe, I don't think he has any problems with his health. He was just tired and who wouldn't be after 2 years on tour?

C'mon, it wasn't really a 2 year tour. 2007 was a 2 1/2 month tour after a 7 month break.

Date: February 14, 2008 21:27

redrum
I doubt that the boys will do a tour 08, but that doesn't mean they won't do some shows to promote the movie. Stay tuned...

this has been my most recent hope but i would think they might've had something in berlin - at least to kick it all off...

the austin premier is march 10
the NYC premier is march 30

when again is the london premier?

at this point, if there were shows, i imagine they would be like shepherd's bush or the double door where they were announced a day before the show.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 14, 2008 21:48

i guess i've accepted my fate and actually have calmed down about it. I have decided against suicide.

Look, we save money, that's good, esp for me who will be going back to Europe this summer again (3rd summer in a row), in part for a stonestreff german fan club convention.

i feel like such an idiot with egg all over my big face after believing it would happen from some really good sources. And then mouthing off so confidently about how they would tour.

But if the band changes their collective mind, that kind of negates those sources, and we can't help that.

yes, i've heard about just a few shows, but I put no faith in that anymore.

I think I will go to New York for the premiere as the band will be there, or LA as Gazza suggested, which is an extremely logical locale.

But it's still mildly depressing.

Happy V Day everyone!

Tim The Plexiglass

Date: February 14, 2008 22:15

It's not the end of the world!

Posted by: Domonkos ()
Date: February 14, 2008 22:21

An "impromptu" surprise gig in Leicester Square, like the PC at Julliard? It could be great.

Date: February 14, 2008 23:02

when is the london premier again? i though april 2 or something? i thought it would precede NY with little time in between. looks like NY will precede london (still with little time in between).

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 15, 2008 01:44

Harm

Isn't it? If I don't see them live again it is!

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: February 15, 2008 01:51

Quote:
Harm

Isn't it? If I don't see them live again it is!

For me too!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 15, 2008 07:23

I think the london premiere is April 2nd, with the Stones appearing.
[www.stonesplanet.com]

I thought the NY premiere was April 4th but now the word is March 30,
with the date early in the month in Austin. Will the band appear at
any of these dates?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 15, 2008 07:33

and the other question is: will there be any showings open to the public prior to April 4?

Austin almost surely will as the premiere is part of a film festival.

But New York?

P

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: February 15, 2008 07:35

timbernardis
I think I will go to New York for the premiere as the band will be there, or LA as Gazza suggested, which is an extremely logical locale.

Tim The Plexiglass

Where are people finding this info? I have been trying to find out if there is a premiere of any sort planned for NY and have not heard a word.

Also, where did this March 30 in NY and March 10 in Austin rumor come from? Austin makes no sense at all does it?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 15, 2008 07:39

george, no austin makes no sense except for the SXSW festival.
this is a recent scheduling.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1397
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home