Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Songs that sound too similar
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 10, 2010 23:12

Well then there is an EXACT rip off of themselves:

Coming Down Again/Sleep Tonight

It doesn't get any more blatant then that. The next rip off they did of themselves is Soul Survivor/It Must Be Hell as far as the riffage goes, but to lift an entire part of a song and just do it again? Ha ha....Sleep Tonight takes the cake.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 10, 2010 23:21

Often a point of high discussion over at the Elmore James chat-site .........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 10, 2010 23:23

I actually find some of the choices made on Goddess to be more interesting than ABB. ABB Sounds like the other Stones got in the way of Mick making a follow-up to it (much like how BTB interrupted Wandering Spirit's follow-up, even taking the best songs - Saint of Me and Out of Control).

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 11, 2010 00:54

Where I immediately received the same message was "Dont call me up" and Don't tear me up" I know it's obvious from the title, but the chorus es are done the same way. It is so obviously a forced where the writer goes "Ok here comes the HOOK, if it kills me". Jagger does that a lot; he is worse with the bridges. Many late era songs have bridges crammed in there that are not necessary (Under the Radar e.g)

I don't think it really matters if the chords are the same, the tempo - what matters is that we, the audience hear them as similar. "The minute I heard "Neighbors" I heard "Send it to me". The minute I heard "Rock and a hard place" I heard "It must be hell" I heard "Soul Survivor".
When I hear "Mixed Emotions" I hear "Take it so Hard".
When I heard "Wicked as it seems" I hear "Love is Strong".

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: February 11, 2010 01:48

tomcat2006
Okay, I know we can say the open G trick makes many have a similar sound but some tracks are just TOO similar for their own (and our) good.

I'm thinking:

Always Suffering / Already Over Me (how on earth did these both end up on side one of BTB??)

quote]

I can hear bits of those two in Laugh I Nearly Died.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 11, 2010 02:36

StonesTod

it's like i was saying the other day - he's consciously trying to construct songs based on familiar formulas and hooks. the muse is gone...

I agree.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 11, 2010 03:17

All those thrashy songs in the key of A on Some Girls. But I like them anyway.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: February 11, 2010 03:51

skipstone
with the surprise being Always Suffering - a C-side tune if there was one.

You're exactly right... it is a C-side.... it's placed on side C on the B2B vinyl LP...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 11, 2010 05:55

Happy - Don't Stop

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 11, 2010 06:57

Rockman

Or the Chuck Berry one.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 11, 2010 09:10

Well Bachman Turner Overdrive made 100 versions of 'you ain't seen nothin yet' soooo

Posted by: Alef ()
Date: February 11, 2010 12:08

Brown Sugar/ Rock & Hard Place

Wandering Spirit / Saint of Me

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 11, 2010 12:18

Running Too Deep / You Will But You Won't

is the best (or worst example).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 11, 2010 12:39

71Tele
Rockman

Or the Chuck Berry one.

That's very true. It seems to that there is an assumption that recicling some (great) ideas is a bad thing in itself or somehow always a cse of "ripping off". No, it's not, as the examples of Elmore and Berry show.

For example, I think it is funny to recognize the re-ciclying the riff of "Soul Survivor" to "It Must Be Hall" and "Rock& A Hard Place" or "Black or White"... It is more like making a reference to the past, almost a compliment. In fact, the Stones history is full of recicled ideas - especially the early Jagger/Richards originals were full of "borrowed" ideas (to say it politely) before they started copying and recicling their own ideas... The problem is if recicling gets to the stage when 'borrowing' is not inspired anymore but sounds more like done half-sleep autopilot (a'la the choruses of "Always Suffering", "Already Over Me" and many of Keith's guitar structures in the last 20 years).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-11 12:42 by Doxa.

Date: February 11, 2010 13:04

"Continental Drift" and "King Bee" - does anybody else not hear it?

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: February 11, 2010 17:11

Satisfaction, JJF and SFM are kinda similar to my ears.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: February 13, 2010 11:03

1. What about "Gimme Shelter" and "Monkey Man"?

2. What about "Paint It, Black" and the hummed part of "Let It Loose"?

3. What about "Miss You" and "Emotional Rescue"?

4. What about "The Last Time" and "Satisfaction"?

5. What about "Sweet Virginia" and "Far Away Eyes"?

~Ben

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: February 13, 2010 21:38

Palace Revolution 2000
Where I immediately received the same message was "Dont call me up" and Don't tear me up" I know it's obvious from the title, but the chorus es are done the same way. It is so obviously a forced where the writer goes "Ok here comes the HOOK, if it kills me". Jagger does that a lot; he is worse with the bridges. Many late era songs have bridges crammed in there that are not necessary (Under the Radar e.g)

I don't think it really matters if the chords are the same, the tempo - what matters is that we, the audience hear them as similar. "The minute I heard "Neighbors" I heard "Send it to me". The minute I heard "Rock and a hard place" I heard "It must be hell" I heard "Soul Survivor".
When I hear "Mixed Emotions" I hear "Take it so Hard".
When I heard "Wicked as it seems" I hear "Love is Strong".

I agree wholeheartedly about the forced choruses, very annoying Jagger trait. Having just discovered the superb 'Blue' I feared this was going to have the same problem but luckily it steers clear away enough.

Never would have thought about 'Neighbours' and 'Send It to Me' being the same. Will have to re-listen. Ditto 'Mixed Emotions' and 'Take It so Hard'.

But I can see what you mean on 'Rock & A Hard Place' and 'Hell'/'Soul Survivor' - never occurred to me to lump 'Hard Place' with the other two but see what you mean.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 13, 2010 21:52

I think the worst case of this by anyone I can think of is ZZ Top. Remember the song from their 1983 Eliminator album 'Gimme All Your Lovin''? Check out this song from their 1985 follow-up, Afterburner. The song is called 'Dipping Low'.
They aren't "similar". They are the same song.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 13, 2010 21:56

All Chuck Berry's songs

Posted by: Dali ()
Date: February 13, 2010 22:21

mtaylor
All Chuck Berry's songs

Wee Wee Hours, Come On, Nadine, You Never Can Tell, No Money Down, Brown Eyed Handsome Man... they aren't similar.

But School Days and No Particular Place To Go are the same song besides the lyrics just as the case of Little Queenie and Run Rudolph Run.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 14, 2010 01:57

It took me a while to figure out why Sleep Tonight sounded so familiar to me back when the album came out.

Yes indeed Faraway Eyes is almost identical to Sweet Virginia.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 14, 2010 02:02

StonesTod
not too similar, but always sorta regarded winter as a ycagwyw wannabe - similar song construction....
interesting.. I like winter but I always sorta regarded it is a Moonlight Mile Wannabe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-14 02:03 by ryanpow.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: February 14, 2010 03:26

The movie "Eyes Wide Shut" soundtrack has some passages that sound highly inspired by Pink Floyd's Divison Bell. I noticed it after giving Division Bell a listen last week during a weird car ride in the snow.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: March 16, 2010 09:37

Oh boy, here's a pair of songs coming at you now:

Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Run Through the Jungle" (1970) and John Fogerty's "Old Man Down the Road" (1985). Fogerty actually got sued by his former label boss Saul Zaentz over this incident.

~Ben

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: March 16, 2010 15:09

Kirk
Neighbours/Send it to me but I think this is not news anyway.

Hm...I should have noticed earlier, I guess, but this may be the reason why I never really liked "Neighbours". Always sounded like a throwaway cut to me.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: March 16, 2010 15:12

Honky Tonk Women - Country Honk. winking smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 16, 2010 15:25

If you think Stones have that kind of songs you should have a good look at Bachman Turner Overdrives book of songs, it's 70 You ain't seen nothin yet...
>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: March 16, 2010 15:28

It Won't Take long and Infamy share the same riff. Listen to them one after the other and it's almost the same song sung by Mick and Keith alternatively - on the same album on top of that.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: March 16, 2010 15:41

the star-spangled banner and free bird.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home