Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Emotional Rescue
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 10, 2010 19:32

I've always thought that Anybody Seen My Baby? is the 1990s Emotional Rescue.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 10, 2010 19:47

skipstone
I've always thought that Anybody Seen My Baby? is the 1990s Emotional Rescue.

More like "Constant Craving"

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 10, 2010 23:00

First time I remember hearing it was watching Video Rewind. It was so weird, funny, different, they ALL look like they're having fun in the video, much like She's So Cold.

The song IS weird and different. There's a guy I know at a karaoke joint - this is true. Every time we're both there he will buy me 2 beers to sing Emotional Rescue. I can think of many, many songs - hell, many more STOENS songs I'd rather sing. But hey - free beer. The guy's not even a huge Stones fan - just can't get enough of that song. Weird.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 10, 2010 23:37

jamesfdouglas
There's a guy I know at a karaoke joint - this is true. Every time we're both there he will buy me 2 beers to sing Emotional Rescue. I can think of many, many songs - hell, many more STOENS songs I'd rather sing. But hey - free beer. The guy's not even a huge Stones fan - just can't get enough of that song. Weird.

I think he's @#$%& with you.

if he really liked the song, why wouldn't he sing it himself?

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 10, 2010 23:47

I love everything from this tune....i mean everything!!! Highpoint?? after the falseto (remember(Fool!)the''Í was dreaming last night'' bit...the normal voice kicked in!!!!mannnn what a reliev......no not the b gees ...Curtis Mayf!!...man the lyrics got me also...about the 60-70-ties broken dreams lies and...love fading away....about dreams ...true and so funny...can it get any better?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 10, 2010 23:58

Yeah Yeah Curtis Rooooooooster.....MASSIVE influence on Jamaican music..MASSIVE

ROCKMAN

Date: February 11, 2010 00:00

Cheers Rock!!!

Date: February 11, 2010 00:06

And a good ol tune....not so stonesy...rather soundin new...it still sounds so fresh ....great soundtrack...for you breaking with yo girl....and get a new girl...its all in the song

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 11, 2010 00:08

Arrrrrrrrrr breakin' with ya girl .... sometimes good sometimes sad ....good Times Bad Times .........

ROCKMAN

Date: February 11, 2010 00:15

Night time!! Is Party...or party dreams!! no escape!

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 11, 2010 00:19

there ain't nothin like a new girl.

Date: February 11, 2010 00:31

If its not new.....its never old

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: February 11, 2010 01:25

Ron Wood's bass playing is the real star of this song, not the "poor girl in a rich man's house" faux duet style lead vocal, which nevertheless is a spectacular innovation, despite being one that the singer cannot risk his vocal chords for to ever perform it in concert.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 11, 2010 01:54

Just awful. That whole late 70's into the 80's period for The Stones was the lowest. A few good ones in there but not much.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: February 11, 2010 03:58

rooster
after the falseto (remember(Fool!)the''Í was dreaming last night'' bit...the normal voice kicked in!!!!mannnn what a reliev......

Oh yes, that bridge is just... magical...

Hell... I could just sit and listen to that bridge all night...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 11, 2010 04:50

I was embarrassed for the Stones when this came out as a single. sad smiley

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 20, 2010 01:12

Oh my God, I LOVE this track with all my heart and soul. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

(1) Starting with his initial thunder-crash at the start, the brilliance of Charlie's drumming throughout.
(2) Ronnie's bass, snaking its way through the track and giving it this remarkable "dub" quality.
(3) Mick's falsetto ... a bracing shock to the system, cutting through the all clutter on the radio airwaves in 1980.
(4) Mick's transition from falsetto to normal register ... the wonderfully drowsy tone of "Yeah, I was dreaming last night..."
(5) Mick's spoken-word part; sheer genius. Keep in mind that this song came out before rap really existed. Is that a Spanish conquistador's accent, Mick?
(6) Bobby Key's indelible sax playing; so greasy and slinky and so perfectly synchronized with Ronnie's bass.
(7) The melody; one of the catchiest the Stones have ever written.
(8) The lyrics; funny, yet deeply soulful, with Mick pining desperately for a woman who thinks she's too good for him.
(9) The production; as with all the songs on the album, the Stones have never sounded better than on ER.
(10) The beat; more infectious than Miss You, more infectious than virtually anything from the disco era.

Drew

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 20, 2010 12:22

drewmaster
Oh my God, I LOVE this track with all my heart and soul. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

(1) Starting with his initial thunder-crash at the start, the brilliance of Charlie's drumming throughout.
(2) Ronnie's bass, snaking its way through the track and giving it this remarkable "dub" quality.
(3) Mick's falsetto ... a bracing shock to the system, cutting through the all clutter on the radio airwaves in 1980.
(4) Mick's transition from falsetto to normal register ... the wonderfully drowsy tone of "Yeah, I was dreaming last night..."
(5) Mick's spoken-word part; sheer genius. Keep in mind that this song came out before rap really existed. Is that a Spanish conquistador's accent, Mick?
(6) Bobby Key's indelible sax playing; so greasy and slinky and so perfectly synchronized with Ronnie's bass.
(8) The lyrics; funny, yet deeply soulful, with Mick pining desperately for a woman who thinks she's too good for him.
(9) The production; as with all the songs on the album, the Stones have never sounded better than on ER.
(10) The beat; more infectious than Miss You, more infectious than virtually anything from the disco era.

Drew

Great critique. Drew, where are you from?

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 20, 2010 12:33

swiss
drewmaster

Drew

I agree!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 20, 2010 13:02

swiss
drewmaster

Drew

Thank you, Swiss! Philadelphia.

Drew

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 20, 2010 17:44

agreed on all points, drew ... I would add the elegant sax/guitar duet at the end, which I always think of when people claim keith hated this song b/c there's no guitar (he may hate it, but there is guitar--his).

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 21, 2010 00:21

drewmaster

Drew

My feelings exactly on every point!
I remember hearing this song for the first time on a little radio and thinking how weird the beat was, so weirdly syncopated, and that falsetto. Its genius. Its also a great heartbreak song, with Mick sounding so devoted to this womean, and yet so forlorn, like he's lost all hope and there's nothing left for him to do but promise to ride on a "Arab Charterrrrr".
And yes, when he comes in with the normal voice, one of Jagger's sexiest moments.
Its one of the greatest love songs Jagger has ever written. John Lennon, at the time, said this was a "beautiful song." I remember at a Stones Tribute, one band, two guys and two girls, did this song and the crowd went nuts!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 18, 2010 18:14

See also this later thread:

[www.iorr.org]

Date: November 18, 2010 23:21

rooster
man the lyrics got me also...about the 60-70-ties broken dreams lies and...love fading away....about dreams ...true and so funny...can it get any better?

And 'maybe I'll become a playboy, hang around in gay bars and mooooove.....to the west side of town...'
Its one of favorite Jagger lines, funny and campy, but from a guy who's lost all hope in love, so what else is he to do?
All the songs have a kind of sad, resigned quality about them. Lost dreams, love......
Even the outtakes have that quality, like "Think Im Going Mad" - the way Mick sings, 'My hands are shaking....can't even drink a another cup of coffee...'
He sounds defeated and I think this album reflects themes of hopeless love and dreams so perfectly that even Mick is just dragging. People criticize the sort of lacklusterness of this ER but I think that's what gives it that sense of hopelessness. Like you've just lost the love of your life so what's the point?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-18 23:30 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 18, 2010 23:29

stupidguy2
rooster
man the lyrics got me also...about the 60-70-ties broken dreams lies and...love fading away....about dreams ...true and so funny...can it get any better?

And 'maybe I'll become a playboy, hang around in gay bars and mooooove.....to the west side of town...'
Its one of favorite Jagger lines but its also kind of mournful too.
All the songs have a kind of sad, resigned quality about them. Lost dreams, love......
Even the outtakes have that quality, like "Think Im Going Mad" - the way Mick sings, 'My hands are shaking....can't even drink a another cup of coffee...'
He sounds defeated and I think this album reflects themes of hopeless love and dreams so perfectly that even Mick is just dragging. People criticize the sort of lacklusterness of this ER but I think that's what gives it that sense of hopelessness. Like you've just lost the love of you life so what's the point?

So Goats HS is about nostalgia and melancholy and ER about hopelessness and despair?

Date: November 18, 2010 23:36

kleermaker
stupidguy2
rooster

Its one of favorite Jagger lines but its also kind of mournful too.
He sounds defeated and I think this album reflects themes of hopeless love and dreams so perfectly that even Mick is just dragging. People criticize the sort of lacklusterness of this ER but I think that's what gives it that sense of hopelessness. Like you've just lost the love of you life so what's the point?

So Goats HS is about nostalgia and melancholy and ER about hopelessness and despair?

Yeah, but I wouldn't say GHS is meloncholic...nostalgic, definately, but I think its one of the more romantic albums the Stones have ever done. Even Lester Bangs said in his review Damn if you just don't get caught up in the warm glow of it....'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-18 23:37 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 19, 2013 01:21

What's Mick doing to that chair in the video?

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: November 19, 2013 19:00

I always found this to be such a weird song. I enjoy more now than I did initially. Love Woods bass playing and the groove it has

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 19, 2013 19:22

I always thought the bass line was too funky to be Bill. Interesting that it was Woody.

Wonder if the Stones, if Mick Taylor is well enough to be back in the fold, would ever think of axing Darryl and moving Wody to bass and Taylor on guilt full-time.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 19, 2013 22:01

Bill could be very funky. He is Miss You. There must be a reason why Bill does not play bass on the track. I have found that invariably if someone else played bass on a studio track, that Bill could easily replicate or better their efforts on stage. Unfortunately I don't think the Stones ever did Emotional Rescue live during Bill's reign. Now I'll have to go back and listen to the song and hear what Bill contributed on synth.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1134
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home