Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

another Kilburn review
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 19, 2007 00:15

got to say I was skeptical after reading so much bad stuff here but then I read what with sssoul had to say and ordered Rons "First Barbarians" cd dvd set. $23 total from amazon and had it in 6 days! FRIGGIN'GREAT!! the cd is as big an improvement as Virgins rmstr of SF was over the original cd release(which sucked). And the video while not perfect is fantastic. I actually enjoy the B/W footage over the color because of the clarity. And the best version of "Sure The One You Need"-period. Go get it!!!!!!!!!!

Re: another Kilburn review
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 19, 2007 00:39

smile: glad it grooves you, scottkeef!
and yeah, the black & white footage is gorgeous, isn't it

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 19, 2007 02:07

You got that right! Gotta go-gonna watch it again!

"Sure won't hurt ya none............"

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 22, 2007 21:01

I was also impressed, after reading how bad the sources were. Nice surprise is an unreleased Wood song, "Forever" I'd only read about....I also am convinced the NEW Barbarians' "Buried Alive" sounds better than the old Swingin' Pig boot I have. It has been remastered, albeit from the same source, and when the band - what a band! - fires on all cylanders it's clear and sharp as rusty barbed wire, guitars poking you in the eye and ear, dirty, grungey, and alive - more so than many official live Stones albums with their edits and (i.e. Flashpoint) or sterile mixes. And in both '74 & especially '79 Ron & Keith really were weaving...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 22, 2007 21:12

>> Nice surprise is an unreleased Wood song, "Forever" I'd only read about <<

smile: yes, Ronnie waxes tres romantic on that one :E
i know i keep saying it but that Monkey Man/Shirley is freakin *hot* -
i did already own the bootleg, so i knew it was there - but what a joy to watch them
doin all kinds of gloriously dirty things to that one -
ahem, i mean: i'm real glad it's grooving people. :E

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: December 22, 2007 21:48

I think it's a great set as well. You're right with sssoul, the 'Monkey Man/Shirley' tandem is awesome. My only minor quibble with the DVD is that they didn't source a better copy of the footage that has been out there for years. The vhs copy I have is better quality than what is on the disc. Having said that, it's great to see the previously unavavilable footage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1436
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home