Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Cover To Cover: 40 years of Rolling Stone 4 DVD box set (SSC)
Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: November 24, 2007 01:27

This looks like the perfect Christmas gift for Rock nĀ“Roll aficionados like us:

A box set with EVERY COMPLETE Rolling Stone issue from 1967 through 2007 on four DVDs.

more info: [www.covertocover.com]
on amazon.com: [www.amazon.com]

I ordered mine right away. 78 bucks is a pretty good price if you ask me.
Also, with current exchange rates, this is particularly cheap if you live in EUROland (like me) and import it.

Re: Cover To Cover: 40 years of Rolling Stone 4 DVD box set (SSC)
Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: November 24, 2007 01:45

Yeah, I found a used copy of Rolling Stone Cover to Cover on Amazon for $65, so I went for it.

I stopped buying Rolling Stone regularly at the newsstand around the turn of the century, but until then, after discovering it in 1973, I bought every single issue. It lost a little something when the format changed to a tabloid from a quarterfold in 1974; it lost a little more something when the magazine left San Francisco to move to New York in 1976; when they switched to glossy paper from newsprint, it slid even further from its roots.

I since have collected bound volumes of the earlier issues I missed (pre-1973) but the first and second volumes eluded me because of the hefty prices.

It'll be a treat to have everything at my fingertips. But nothing will ever replace the feel of newsprint against my fingertips.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-24 01:45 by Monkeylad.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 24, 2007 11:29

Great idea from Rolling Stone, and it's about time they did it.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: November 24, 2007 14:17

Sounds like a great idea, though it is sad to report that in recent years, Rolling Stone has become more concerned with it's covers than its content.

Adverts, attention-seekers, posers and postulators, with such thin editorial content.

It's become a wrap-around poster. Nothing more.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 24, 2007 15:58

Barn Owl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like a great idea, though it is sad to
> report that in recent years, Rolling Stone has
> become more concerned with it's covers than its
> content.
>
> Adverts, attention-seekers, posers and
> postulators, with such thin editorial content.
>
> It's become a wrap-around poster. Nothing more.

absolutely agree with your judgement...thats why I only read it only (very) sporadically these days.

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: December 2, 2007 19:20

I just acquired this boxset. $78 from Costco. This could keep you chained to your computer forever. In an initial browse/search I read the reviews of Led Zeppelin's debut album (it was panned; the last paragraph of the review is hilarious) and Exile On Main Street (the reviewer, Lenny Kaye by the way, gives the proverbial 'two thumbs up' for 'Turd On The Run' yet disses 'Shine A Light' and somewhat also 'Loving Cup'). I can't wait to read more reviews of albums that eventually were 'destined' to become classics; it is very interesting when you can read how paid reviewers got it all wrong!

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: December 2, 2007 19:43

For those that have already purchased, can you print out from the DVD set? Or is it all protected. Thankies in advance.

Date: December 2, 2007 20:12

Is that not considered the same as posting legitimate music releases on to Hot Stuff? Just asking, as I do not know the answer to that question.

Date: December 2, 2007 21:17

I just read the review of 'Sticky Fingers' from RS magazine (issue dd: June 10/1971) by 'rock' critic Jon Landau (who was eventually to become producer/manager for Bruce Springsteen). He is not favourable in his comments. Unbelievable.

'You Gotta Move' and 'Moonlight Mile' get the nod's up. 'Wild Horses' is descibed as a track "......that doesn't quite come off."

This could be good start for a forum to commence a 'review' of all of the Rolling Stones album reviews by their record critics from the commencment of the magazine!!!!

Interesting stuff.

ROLLING STONE - The Magazine Archives
Date: December 3, 2007 01:41

Oh WTF, everyone will like reading this; I figure that it is available in the public domain and has been ever since (freedom of press, that is):

Sticky Fingers - Album Review - 1971

[rapidshare.com]

Date: December 3, 2007 01:59

Exile On Main Street - RS Magazine - July 8/1972 Issue - Album Review

[rapidshare.com]

[rapidshare.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-03 04:15 by peter wilson.

Date: December 3, 2007 04:09

Goat's Head Soup - RS Magazine - November 8/1973 Issue - Album Review

[rapidshare.com]

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: December 3, 2007 04:29

Thanks you who posted the classic album's review.
Me, I'm gonna read those some rainy (or "slush-snowing") day soon.

Date: December 4, 2007 03:49

That link above to "rapidshare" doesn't work for me, but i know that review and own the original issue. It was written by Lenny Kaye, guitarist for Patti Smith and the guy who created the Nuggets collection.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 4, 2007 06:31

I also used to read Rolling Stone religiously. And haven't in the past ten years. But I must say. Rolling Stone was and is one of the few American news magazines that has been very critical and offered hard hitting reporting on the war in Iraq. More so than even The Washington Post and/or New York Times.

Date: December 9, 2007 15:58

I just got my copy of Rolling Stone Cover to Cover. The magazine has always been well designed, so the excellence of the packaging came as no surprise to me. It includes a large-format book with a summary of each of the 40 years in Rolling Stone's history.

But this reference to the Rolling Stones in the "Time Capsule" for 1978 DID surprise me. It cites an article from Rolling Stone 273 by Chet Flippo, describing it like this:

"Middle-aged or not, Mick and Keith have made Tattoo You the biggest-grossing (and best) tour of the year."

Huh? Tattoo You? 1978?

If I spotted an error of this magnitude three minutes after cracking open the book, who knows how many other errors may be lurking inside?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 9, 2007 17:13

yikes - i hate it when i open a beautiful new book right to the page with a gross error!
Monkeylad, i hope you'll write to RS to point that out! maybe they'll issue an errata list.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1448
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home