Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bigger Bang vs. Four Flicks....
Posted by: BostonStrangler ()
Date: November 26, 2007 03:45

Im sure its allready been debated but after getting properly oiled and greased last nite, FOUR FLICKS blows Bigger Bang away. Granted Bigger Bang has its moments but from Mick on down it seems a bit lack luster compared to Four Flicks. Now I'm not listening on the best Home Entertainment System, so I dont know if I'm missing something it's just one man's opion..

Re: Bigger Bang vs. Four Flicks....
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 26, 2007 03:49

BostonStrangler Wrote:

> Im sure its allready been debated but after
> getting properly oiled and greased last nite,

Sounds kinda kinky there, Boston!

I like 'em both with a slight nod to BB.

Date: November 26, 2007 03:55

Well it was a strange and interesting nite. And I don't want to say Bigger Bang is Bad its just after further review I like FOUR FLICKS better. Go Patriots! Had to get that in!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 26, 2007 04:07

Four Flicks is way better, more songs, more interesting stuff, better performances and less overdubs. I rate FF with a 10 and BB with a 6.

Date: November 26, 2007 04:39

Yeah I noticed last nite the sound on BB was mixed badly.. It seems Micks vocals are straining at times.. When BB came out I did'nt notice some things i noticed last nite.. I think when it first came out I was excited and was'nt as critcal...

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: November 26, 2007 10:17

FF wins, way better.

Date: November 26, 2007 10:30

Four Flicks is much better IMO. But the Rio show is far better than Twickenham.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: November 26, 2007 10:52

Probably FF just, although BB is worth it just for Learning the game and Bob Wills from Austin oh and the look on Charlie's face when he is asked about his business card!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 26, 2007 10:58

I just wish that BB had three complete [or almost complete] shows. The "hotch potch" from the Asian gigs doesn't hang together for me.

[And it's a pity that events and the chronology didn't allow maybe one of the o2 shows to be included ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-26 11:03 by Spud.

Re: Biggest Bang & Four Flicks
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 26, 2007 11:11

i understand the nonchronological arrangement of disk 3 of BB,
but i don't get why they horsed around the chronology of the documentary.
it detracts from it, for me, and it's too bad: there's some lovely stuff in it.
i also don't get what Sister Morphine has to do with the Buenos Aires audience shots.
other than that, i like BB fine.

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: November 26, 2007 12:26

FF is much better...Its more consistent, the all concept is much better, The Stones in 3 diferents concerts, while in BB I dont see any line to follow. Exception goes to the documentary on BB. I take it like a continuation from the FF that finished when the band steps on stage for the first night , the BB takes you further , around the world until the last gig of 2006. even if they are from different tours, I see them as one single documenary,in two parts

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 26, 2007 12:52

I like 'em both, of course. What's not to like?
When it comes to the question which I prefer, I absolutely vote for Four Flicks. This choice might be biased because when FF came out it was a brand new experience to have a four disc document of a tour. Maybe that's just an emotional thing (but emotions DO count as an argument don't they?)

And of course I really preferred the three size venue concept of the Licks Tour over the Bigger Bang stadium only tour. Again, of course there is nothing not to like about BB, but I like FF better.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 26, 2007 12:55

Like them both the same. Austin and London are both lame. The rest is great!

C

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: November 26, 2007 14:15

Four Flicks for me.

John Nicholls

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 26, 2007 14:38

FF wins as far as I'm concerned
Austin IMO more enjoyable than Twicks
but FF is globally better

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 26, 2007 15:22

Some guy on here said in his review (When it was released) that he wouldn't say which is better, but he would say that FF and TBB are the perfect companions. I agree 100%.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: November 26, 2007 15:29

bigger bang wins- as a dvd set- simply because its more watchable. that doesnt preclude the fact that FF has better songs, more realistic performances and a clearer vision.

OLDKR

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 26, 2007 15:39

btw, the DVD set is called "The Biggest Bang"....

and I still don't have it *blush*

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 26, 2007 15:48

The thing is that the concept of Four Flicks is very clear (3 different shows and a docu), whilst A Bigger Bang's concept isn't clear (I understand including Rio, but why Austin and why have a messy Rest Of World disc?). I think the Austin performance is better than the FF concerts (Olympia being equally good). I still can't choose though. The BB docu and the extras in particular are better than on FF, but FF is by far the most coherent.
Next time they tour and release a multiple DVD set, I think a good idea would be to have one song from each concert of the tour (Also this would pressure them into doing a new song each night). And if they feel they have to do another documentary they should choose a new aspect to focus on. Four Flicks focused on the preperation of a tour and The Biggest Bang focused on the tour itself. What could be the next aspect to make a docu about?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: November 26, 2007 16:05

just like many others - I like both, but FF is way better. Again - as others wrote - clear concept, less overdubs and for me - the FF concerst are somehow more "real," they get pretty close to the feeling of being at the concert, while BB feels somehow distant.
Anyway - someone mentioned that Bob Wills is worth the price - I don't think so. As much as I like Keith's sets, I really dont like this song. It might have been fun back then in Texas, but for the rest of the world watching - I don't know...cheep country song to please the local crowd, that's what it is for me. Sorry. But after all - I like BB.

Re: Biggest Bang & Four Flicks
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 26, 2007 16:40

sorry, i probably misunderstood - on with the show

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-26 16:43 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 26, 2007 21:03

Coincidentally, I watched BB over the weekend. I still feel that the overall presentation and quality of BB surpasses FF. The picture, sound quality, cinematography and overall delivery is a huge upgrade from what we had on FF. The Austin show is eye candy for us who love the sugar that the Stones provide. It's partly manufactured because of the overdubs, but as I commented on my initial review of Austin (when it first came out), I see it as an experiment and a divertion from the regular style of their concert videos. They chose to move away from the conventional style they usually put out in their DVD/video documents of the tour. To me, I'll let it slide. It's an interesting look at the band.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: November 26, 2007 22:00

My opinion: First there's the overall concept. FF has four distinctive themes whereas BB is the same formula over and over. The FF bonus content is better and the song selection is better just to start with. The Austin and Rio shows are both better than Twicks but the arena and club shows are better than all of them. And the FF doc is better too.

So, Four Flicks by a country mile.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: November 26, 2007 22:19

I prefer Four Flicks, too, namely in almost every single aspect: song-selection, quality, sound, docu etc...
Why didn't they publish more songs which represented the ABB-Tour?
She Was Hot, Infamy, As Teas Go By, Night Time Is The Right Time,...

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 26, 2007 22:31

Agree RollingStonesFan.. Seems like they could have made this better with the song selection. My guess with She Was Hot and As Tears Go By that they were saving those for the Shine A Light movie. But they still could have varied it up a bit more.

Overall Four Flicks to me is way better. Loved the concept and there are so many great songs on those dvds. With ABB, I think it was as high anticipated since the Austin show was really the only thing many of us didn't have, with a few others here and there. On Four Flicks, the MSG show was the only thing we had really seen before it was released.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: November 27, 2007 00:43

just watched the Austin show over the weekend;

I thought it was great. Bob Wills is still the King was the clear highlight. How many bands are willing to learn one song, for one night only, to please the home crowd and then sound so good doing it?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 27, 2007 00:46

the documentery on BB is lessed focused and gets repetative but the stuff thats good is way more interesting than four flicks. like "Busking" and "Outlets of Emotion" and the charlie watts piece. plus the extra songs Get Up stand up, Mr. Pitiful and Cant be Satisfied give the extra songs on FF a run for their money

The FF Paris and MSG shows are great. excellent song selections and a really good vibe to the shows. Twickenaham has some great moments too.

On BB The austin show is tremendous. Ron wood's improvment and the inclusion of Shes so cold, sway ONNYA, Streets of love ATTB, GOMMC give the whole show an entirley new feel compared to FF.

On the other hand the other discs seems just thrown together. It would have been nice to get the whole sapporo show. somehow Rio seems less than complete to me i cant really explain why when other shows that have a couple of songs cut don't.
with FF you got three shows. Biggest bang to me seems like Austin with a sh*t load of extras.

All in all when I weigh the pro's and con's they come out even, Biggest bang and Four Flicks.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-27 02:39 by ryanpow.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 27, 2007 04:04

If I have to rate one over the other it would have to FF on the strength of "Stray Cat Blues" alone!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 27, 2007 04:29

Well, I like Four Flicks a little better because it was a new thing, they had not done this before and 2- I think the documentary is a little better than the documentary in The Biggest Bang.

But some things in The Biggest Bang are great and do not have an equal in Four Flicks, to wit.

1) The brief Charlie business card scene -- it is very real, he is clearly agitated, but just hilarious because of the Charlie persona on full display.

2) The whole Buenos Aires piece -- I suppose this is the piece people are expected to like and that others feel compelled to criticise those who do like it, but I like it, a lot, highly entertaining, shows you everything leading up to, during, and after the show, and esp the involvement of the fans with the band, in every way.

It's just highly entertaining to me and has convinced me to go to the next shows they play there just to partake in the experience and see if I can match up with their hardcore fans or whatever they are.

Charlie's Plexiglass Business Card

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: November 27, 2007 11:13

...just reading what I wrote here yesterday - I put Bob Wills together with Keith's set. I don't know where was my mind...Sorry...
But still - I think that BW might have been a great crowd pleaser, but I can't see the point of releasig it worlwide. Anyway - I almost forgot about She's So Cold in Austin - great version of the song. So as much as I prefer FF, ABB has it's great moments too

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home