Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What is Your Opinion of 1972 book "Rolling Stones, an Unauthorized Biography ..." ?
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 22, 2007 06:53

What do you think of this book which is one of the earliest books on the Stones that I read???

Plexiglass

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-22 07:26 by timbernardis.

Re: What is Your Opinion of 1972 book "Rolling Stones, an Unauthorized Biography ..."?
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 22, 2007 07:21

BEST STONES BOOK EVER!!!

Re: What is Your Opinion of 1972 book "Rolling Stones, an Unauthorized Biography ..." ?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 22, 2007 07:31

Amazing book...Super Scruff gave it to me as a gift early
one evening...Stayed up to daybreak reading it over and over...

ROCKMAN

Re: What is Your Opinion of 1972 book "Rolling Stones, an Unauthorized Biography ..." ?
Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: November 22, 2007 07:36

is it still in print?

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: November 22, 2007 07:50

I was a 13 year old kid with no money in a downtown music store when I used to thumb through that book once a week while I was waiting for my guitar lessons back in 1972. I handled it so much I think it ended up in the used bin!

Hadn't thought about it for years, but now I see the cover and the memories come back! I loved that book, even if I never actually owned it. I remember being fascinated by the photos of this mysterious, dark and exciting world of the Rolling Stones. Yep, that and "Hot Rocks" put me on the road to being a lifelong Stones fan.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: November 22, 2007 10:18

yes i bought in denmark 1975...the price was 100 dkr,,
it's an bible,,but my first stones book,,was philip c luce "the stones"
this bok was released before "ya ya 's out"

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 22, 2007 10:23

One of the first books on RS I bought as well; and it's terrific

Posted by: z ()
Date: November 22, 2007 11:09

A classic.
this one and Roy Carr's illustrated record are the two books I grew up on.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: November 22, 2007 11:54

A truly excellent compilation of pictures, articles, cuttings etc., with the written music of the Stones (up to SF) as an added bonus!

Superceded however by David Dalton's "First Twenty Years" which took the band's history up to the pre-1981 tour period, and which is jam-packed with a compendium of just about everything worth reading about the Stones.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: November 22, 2007 15:22

I love this book, it's the only Stones book left from the ones I owned in my teenage years, twenty-something ago and it has been through umpteen house moves and places. The spine is broken and the pages loose but it will always have a home on my bookshelf

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: November 22, 2007 16:04

Have a real soft spot in my heart for that edition of the Dalton book. There certainly are more comprehensive books, but this book introduced me to a lot of Stones knowledge. I remember flipping through the discography and wondering if I would EVER be able to collect all of the Stones' music.

I've owned several copies over the years, given copies to others as gifts.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 22, 2007 16:07

I also mailordered this book in 73 as a 16 year old and it really began my love affair with the band(even though I clearly remember the sullivan 60s shows and the local am radio station running a "whos no 1" between beatles and stones).While I consider it the stones bible, even though so much has happened to nearly make it obsolete one can always return to it to refresh accurate info. And rekindle old memories!

Posted by: normanplace ()
Date: November 22, 2007 16:34

i remember this book being passed around the neighborhood....everyone wanted a piece of it...best stones book then and now. I think it had the full RS Keith Richard interview.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: November 22, 2007 17:38

I bought it for the princely sum of £2.95 when it came out in the UK around January 1972. All of my friends thought that I had gone completely insane simply because it cost more than an album did back then.

It was money well spent, enabling me to take my Stones worshiping up to another level.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 22, 2007 19:20

One of my all time favourites!
Loved both the stories and pictures.

I got it in the mid-seventies from a friend who had been to the USA.

I'm collecting Stones books for years and have lots of them.
Unfortunately I lost this one from D. Dalton years ago. I've always been looking to find it again!
So if anyone got one to sell/trade . .

Greetings

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 22, 2007 19:23

I was lucky to find these in a book antique store, years ago,
but if for those that are looking for it; check ebay

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 22, 2007 19:47

sorry if it's a strange question but: how many pages does this book have?
and is it largely music/lyric sheets?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-22 19:57 by with sssoul.

Date: November 22, 2007 20:35

The absolutely most accurate and informative book on the Stones to date. And all the pics from 1969 & 1970 are sensational!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 22, 2007 21:11

It's about 350 pages of pics, text and music Ms Sssoul. I may soon be putting my copy on ebay

Date: November 22, 2007 23:01

thanks ChrisM - there are a few different books by Dalton that come up when i search for this title;
some are 186 pages, others 351, so it's a bit confusing.
anyway i gather it's ISBN 9780825626692 that's the Right One, if that helps anyone else.
is there much overlap with Dalton's The First Twenty Years?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-22 23:05 by with sssoul.

Date: November 23, 2007 07:01

Wow, I am surprised at the universal support, love, and SENTIMENTALITY for this book. I didn't speak of any of that in my opening post, but I had a similar love affair with this book as a teenager.

I have never heard of one Stones book like this that seems to have been influential on lots of people "of our age" like this, if this thread is anything to judge by. I am kind of shocked and taken aback where this thread lead and the things people came out with in their statements. Feels good though, feels like affirmation.

And good to know that most people find it pretty accurate from what I gather. I got a good foundation, sounds like. However, I fear what will happen after sssoul gets ahold of the book. With her penchant for detail and overall Stones expertise, I can just see her picking or tearing it apart.

If Gazza or BV have read it, I would love to hear them weigh in on this thread.

But for me, it has been my (early) Stones bible. At least, until I found THE PLEXIGLASS!!

I think parts of it I practically memorized. I think I still remember a lot of the detail and my mind goes back to it frequently. It was a real teenage allegiance to a rebellious band that I came to know much better through a rebellious, cool book. I would just look, no, pore over, the fotos over and over.

The memorization also includes (some) lyrics. And this book is why I really only know a smattering of lyrics well after Sticky Fingers, their greatest album ever. The lyrics end with that album.

God, a good fellow Stones friend fan had the book too and just loved it. I got one copy, it fell apart on me, and later I bought a second which I still haven't used that much as I had already read/memorized it, still in good shape. Both copies were in paper.

Lately, it turns up a lot on eBay, I've noticed. And the foto of the book cover I pasted was for a HARDBACK copy, never knew it was in hardback. and it wasnt that expensive, but that particular auction is over now.

I guess that's all for now.

Plexiglass

Date: November 23, 2007 07:08

oh, and chicago soul, i have never known of variant editions of this book other than paper and hardback. dont understand where you got this.

go to a good LIBARARY site like WorldCat by OCLC and that should give you all the editions that exist. (i say that cuz i'm a librarian!)

Plexiglass

Date: November 23, 2007 11:28

timbernardis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> oh, and chicago soul, i have never known of
> variant editions of this book other than paper and
> hardback. dont understand where you got this.
>
> go to a good LIBARARY site like WorldCat by OCLC
> and that should give you all the editions that
> exist. (i say that cuz i'm a librarian!)
>
>
> Plexiglass

In the UK, in 1975, they issued a small paperback version, with just a few pictures inserted into the centre of the book. It had a completely different cover and format from the original, though the articles were exactly the same.

There were no music or lyrics in the book either.

Date: November 23, 2007 11:31

thanks Logie - that would explain a lot!
now if anyone who knows both books could say whether there's a lot of overlap
with Dalton's The First Twenty Years, that would be brilliant - please and thank you kindly

Date: November 23, 2007 11:44

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks Logie - that would explain a lot!
> now if anyone who knows both books could say
> whether there's a lot of overlap
> with Dalton's The First Twenty Years, that would
> be brilliant - please and thank you kindly

There is no overlap whatsoever!

Date: November 23, 2007 11:50

thank you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1432
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home