Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The Who 2 hour documentary on VH1
Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: November 4, 2007 20:15

I've always been a big fan of The Who, and seeing them the same year I first saw the Stones in 75 in chicago still is one of the best concerts I've ever seen outside the Stones.

I thought this was very interesting and a must see. I never knew how much influence Pete was on the band, and how sad to see the stories on the death's of Moonie and the Ox played out.

Seeing the clip of them playing "Wont get fooled again" from the concert from NY in 2001 was amazing, and as several people said, and by watching it again, that was one of the mopst powerful performamces in rock history in my opinion. What a telling name for a song, and seeing from the inside how messed up our intelligence is at the JTTF and other levels, its sad to think we probably will get fooled again.

Long live Pete and Roger, and in the end, it would be nice if Mick and Keith could come together as they have done, and as it so clearly showed during the end of this show.

Great job to the producers, looking forward to the ones they do on other bands-

John

Re: OT: The Who 2 hour documentary on VH1
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 4, 2007 20:59

I found the story about four kids and how they turned into two old men to be a little boring and a lot depressing.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: November 4, 2007 22:44

tatters, if you live long enough, that's how it ALWAYS ENDS (No One Here Gets Out Alive - Jim Morrison) So you wanna be Kurt Cobain or Bob Hope ??? (drooling from too much heroin or old age - pick one)

Caught some of it by accident last night, quite good actually......

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: November 4, 2007 23:39

This was an awesome documentary, however it left me as a fan salivating for more. The short clips just begged for more (the Railway hotel 1964, the Who covering See See Rider from 1966 I think, and what was possibly the Holy Grail for who fans: footage from Leeds Feb 14, 1970). Further I think some of the studio songs we heard in the background were alternate takes (A quick one sounded different, it was a studio version, but a different one). However, due to only having two hours to tell 40+ years of history, I think alot was merely skimmed over. No mention of the 75/76 tour where the Who broke attendence and sound records for example, and I know that some footage from Forest Hills NY 1971 exist (its been posted on Youtube). Despite this, Im still going to Bestbuy on Tuesday to pick this one up (the best buy edtion includes an extra disc). Overall, it'd be nice to see something like this done for the Stones.

Date: November 4, 2007 23:41

HelterSkelter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tatters, if you live long enough, that's how it
> ALWAYS ENDS (No One Here Gets Out Alive - Jim
> Morrison) So you wanna be Kurt Cobain or Bob Hope
> ??? (drooling from too much heroin or old age -
> pick one)
>
Or becoming sloppy with a guitar or chanting vocals?

Date: November 4, 2007 23:42

Happy Jack, thanks for the info on Best Buy (the extra Disc) will make sure to get it there then... it was a good film, I came in around MAGIC BUS.....

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 5, 2007 01:47

^^^ So what new release of "The WHO" is for sale at Best Buy? ^^^

Thanks.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-05 15:16 by 1cdog.

Date: November 5, 2007 02:45

I forgot to add to skeptics who think theyve seen it all in The Kids Are Alright, this makes a nice edition to Kids. Id say this one, Who's Better Who's Best (Dvd edition) and (if you can find it) 30 Years of Maximum R and B Live are the Dvd's to get of the 'oo. Between these discs, you get live material, promos and interviews that tell pretty much the whole story of the band that anyone needs to know.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 5, 2007 04:43

I thought it was very interesting. Seeing the chronology of classic albums gives one a better perspective of the greatness of this band. It was nice to see the respect Entwistle was given for the slamming solo on "My Generation".

It was also a treat to see this with a limited amount of commercials.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 5, 2007 05:42

very nice documentary, really enjoyed it, reminds me a little of 25x5 but better

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 5, 2007 15:08

The best buy edition includes footage of a concert in Chicago in the 70's - 75 I think it is

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: November 5, 2007 15:14

Hi VL13

Nah,unfortunately it is from 1979 and I regret to say pretty much inessential.

Stick with 'The Kids Are Alright' DVD!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: November 5, 2007 15:15

cincinnati 1979

Date: November 5, 2007 15:34

Hi Ablett,

I'm bored so forgive the hair-splitting nature of this,but ain't it from Chicago?

Actually I can't believe I've even bothered to type this pedantry out,hah-hah-hah!

I am sorry!

Cheers,

Si.

Date: November 5, 2007 15:44

SimonN Wrote:
> Hi VL13
>
> Nah,unfortunately it is from 1979 and I regret to
> say pretty much inessential.
>
> Stick with 'The Kids Are Alright' DVD!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Si.

I have audio from Chicago 79 and there is footage from this same gig on the Thirty Years of Maximum R and B. This gig is damn good, and worth it on DVD. I admit Id like to have a cleaned up version of Houston 75, but this is still a worthy gig.

Date: November 5, 2007 15:58

Hi HJ,

Yep,I realise that the Chicago footage will look and sound 'good',but it's the essential Moon-years stuff in the vaults that we'd rather see.

I only hope that in the near future we get a proper release,so to speak!

Cheers,

Si.

Date: November 5, 2007 16:12

Sorry itis 90 minutes of the who performing with kenny Jones in CHICARGO 1979

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 5, 2007 17:03

ablett Wrote:
> Sorry itis 90 minutes of the who performing with
> kenny Jones in CHICAGO 1979

Filmed five days after Cincinnati. They still show the emotional effects, and it makes for compelling viewing. It was performances like this one that gave us all unreasonably high expectations for future studio recordings.

Date: November 5, 2007 17:03

SimonN Wrote:
> Hi HJ,
>
> Yep,I realise that the Chicago footage will look
> and sound 'good',but it's the essential Moon-years
> stuff in the vaults that we'd rather see.
>
> I only hope that in the near future we get a
> proper release,so to speak!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Si.

Well also available tommorrow is "View from a Backstage Pass"-two discs of live WHo from 1969-76. Its only available online, but it sounds promising, Im hoping it includes a good portion of live Quadrophenia, as Quad is the only era in that time frame we havent seen live. (Tommy is represented by clips from Woodstock, Live at Leeds and Live at Isle of Wight; Whos Next two disc set has live material from Young Vic 1971 where the band plays most of the stuff from that era; 1974 is represented through footage from Charlton on 30 years of Max. R&B live; and the 75/76 tour is represented through footage from Cleveland (dreaming from the waist on Thirty years live); Detroit (My generation Jam from Pontiac 1975);and audio of four songs from Swansea (Squeeze Box, Behind Blue eyes and Dreaming from the Waist on By Numbers reissue and My WIfe on the box set). That just leaves Quad not represented from the said time frame, so it will be interesting to see the set list of this set. [www.thewho.com]

Posted by: My Stones ()
Date: November 5, 2007 17:10

tatters Wrote:
> I found the story about four kids and how they
> turned into two old men to be a little boring and
> a lot depressing.

This has to be one of the stupidest comments ever on this board. Not the comment on being board, but the comment on getting old. These guys can rock hundreds of time better than bands half their age. And besides are you the guy that found the fountain of youth? Did YOU stop ageing? These guys are rock gods.

Date: November 5, 2007 17:11

Anyone catch the superb Townshend interview on Radio 2 over the weekend?

Date: November 5, 2007 17:26

eloquently put!!!

Date: November 5, 2007 18:10

Eloquent PLUS !!!

Posted by: My Stones ()
Date: November 5, 2007 18:46

tatters Wrote:
> My Stones Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > tatters Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > I found the story about four kids and how
> they
> > > turned into two old men to be a little boring
> > and
> > > a lot depressing.
> >
> >
> > This has to be one of the stupidest comments
> ever
> > on this board. Not the comment on being board,
> but
> > the comment on getting old. These guys can rock
> > hundreds of time better than bands half their
> age.
> > And besides are you the guy that found the
> > fountain of youth? Did YOU stop ageing? These
> guys
> > are rock gods.
>
>
>
> It depressed me because the Who are TWO old men
> when I WISH they were FOUR old men. Now shut the
> @#$%& up.

Typical spin Dr. I called you out and your not man enough. Grow up.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: November 5, 2007 19:51

I had tiks for tonites premiere and Q&A with Townsend&Daltry couldntmake it sad smiley

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 7, 2007 07:24

tonight's premiere of what?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 7, 2007 09:37

havne't seen this yet but will of course.
the reviews i've read say it's a little short on actual full performance film tho; so i, like others here, would like to suggest 'the kids are alright' for those who might not have seen it...the performance footage, and a LOT of the archival and interview footage is priceless...
the performance footage of baba o' reilly and 'won't get fooled again' is absolutely breath-taking. and no jump cuts, and no editing...it's for real and it will hit you like the most beautiful perfect sledge hammer to the heart...

i've seen them four times, all with john and keith...starting '67 and into the early seventies...holy moly. indescribable. the kids are alright will prove it.
i guess 'live at leeds' proved it...and others...but boy you HAVE To see this footage if you haven't...and i think 'the kids are alright' is still pretty easy to rent or buy. ty for listening to mah two cents bout this.

Date: November 7, 2007 10:01

Hi B'Boy,

I don't think I'll ever read another post that is so 'on-the-money' as this.

Long live rock!

Cheers,

Si.

Date: November 7, 2007 11:50

I've watched The Kids are alright so many times I could tell you what sequence it goes in!!!

The finest Rock band film EVER made.

The recent DVD release is an absolute must......

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: November 7, 2007 12:27

DISC 1
Fortune Teller
Happy Jack
I'm A Boy
A Quick One
Magic Bus
I Can't Explain
Substitute
My Wife
Behind Blue Eyes
Bargain
Baby You Don't Do It

DISC 2
The Punk And The Godfather
Won't Get Fooled Again
Young Man Blues
Tattoo
Boris The Spider
Naked Eye / Let's See Action / My Generation Blues
Squeeze Box
Dreaming From The Waist
Fiddle About
Pinball Wizard
I'm Free
Tommy's Holiday Camp
We're Not Gonna Take It
See Me, Feel Me / Listening To You

Producer
Bob Pridden

Description
For years, Who fans have been clamouring for Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend to raid the vaults and release rare concert recordings of The Who at their performing peak. So, to celebrate the launch of their very first official website (http://www.thewho.com), they did just that – and compiled a twenty-six track set of previously unreleased live material.

VIEW FROM A BACKSTAGE PASS features rarely performed numbers such as Fortune Teller, A Quick One While She’s Away, Magic Bus, Squeezebox, Dreaming from the Waist and Bargain, as well as a 24-page colour booklet featuring unseen photos from the band’s archive.

“This is the first ever live compilation we’ve put together with Keith and John playing, “says Bob Pridden. “This is The Who at their raw and powerful best!”

The tracklisting includes material from the Hull City Hall gig, recorded the night after the legendary ‘Live At Leeds’ show in 1970.

“We actually wanted to use Hull as the live recording rather than Leeds”, says Bob Pridden, “but when we listened to the playback, the bass was missing.” This story has been kicking around for years. “The interesting thing is that we obviously didn’t listen all the way through. It was only when I was doing my research for this album that I found some tracks with the bass playing loud and clear, and with John on top form!”

Disc One

Fortune Teller Recorded at The Grande Ballroom, Dearborn Michigan October 12th 1969

Happy Jack, I’m A Boy, A Quick One Recorded at City Hall, Hull February 15th 1970

Magic Bus Recorded at Mammoth Gardens, Denver, Colorado June 9th 1970

I Can’t Explain, Substitute, My Wife, Behind Blue Eyes, Bargain, Baby You Don’t Do It Recorded at Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, California, December 13th 1971

Disc Two

The Punk And The Godfather, 5.15, Won’t Get Fooled Again Recorded at The Capital Centre, Largo, Maryland, December 6th 1973

Young Man Blues, Tattoo, Boris The Spider, Naked Eye/Let’s See Action/My Generation Blues Recorded at Charlton Athletic Football Club, South London, May 18th 1974

Squeeze Box, Dreaming From The Waist, Fiddle About, Pinball Wizard, I’m Free, Tommy’s Holiday Camp, We’re Not Gonna Take It, See Me, Feel Me/Listening To You Recorded at Vetch Field, Swansea, Wales, June 12th 1976

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1372
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home