Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Anyone definitely not going to go and see the Stones if they do another tour?
Posted by: kingkirby ()
Date: January 29, 2010 15:37

Or am I the only one?

I'm a relatively young Stones fan by the standards of many on this board (just pushing 40), but I've been listening to the Stones my whole life thanks to my mum who was a fan from their eel pie island days; My first chance to catch them live was on the Steel Wheels Tour and I even got to hang out backstage a little, so to me it was an awesome experience, but musically? Even then it felt like I was experiencing a shadow of their past glory. The tours since then have seen further diminshing of their powers: Keith's fingers are shot, Ronnie's had it, Bill's gone; The band's held together by backing tracks and session musicians...

My point is that I don't want to see them play live again, or for that matter release another album (unless they hire rick rubin to produce a stripped-back acoustic blues record!); I would rather keep my memories and play boots of the '72, '73 and '78 tours...

But I think i'm very much in the minority with this view - so I want to ask all you guys who will rush out and buy tickets tomorrow if they announce a tour - does the quality of the band's playing matter so much to you these days or are you just happy to see our heroes on stage one more time?

King Kirby

Re: Anyone definitely not going to go and see the Stones if they do another tour?
Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: January 29, 2010 15:43

Me. Definitely not seeing them now after that old-school gentleman-style closeted homosexual Charlie said he "hates" Elvis. smiling smiley

Re: Anyone definitely not going to go and see the Stones if they do another tour?
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 29, 2010 15:50

I'd be happy just to see them again however they are, I'm sure it will be good as i cant see them going on tour if they can't play anymore!

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 29, 2010 15:50

'The band's held together by backing tracks'

Oh come on man they hardley use them at all compared to most bands these days, other then then a few seconds of drum track on sftd and the cowbell on htw what other songs do they use them on? clicktarcks yes but thats not the same thing.

Date: January 29, 2010 15:51

Hey I don't want to instigate any Charlie-bashing here! Charlie rocks - if he says Elvis sucks, then Elvis sucks! (Sorry Elvis...)

Posted by: Back Of My Palm ()
Date: January 29, 2010 15:53

Elvis will never suck if even Keith himself said so.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: January 29, 2010 16:00

If they include Australia in their tour, Id definately want to see them - depending on ticket prices and if they come to Queensland( they didnt come here for ABB tour).Ill wait and see IF it happens- then Ill tell my good lady- shes the only one wholl stop me from going.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-29 16:03 by klrkcr.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 29, 2010 16:18

I'm absolutely not NOT going to go.

In other words, I'll be there.

>>..then Ill tell my good lady- shes the only one wholl stop me from going.<<

Pussy. grinning smiley

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: January 29, 2010 16:18

Why on earth would they use a backing track for the cowbell? on HTW?!

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: January 29, 2010 16:20

Edith Grove
I'm absolutely not NOT going to go.

In other words, I'll be there.

>>..then Ill tell my good lady- shes the only one wholl stop me from going.<<

Pussy. grinning smiley
No, not at all, but if I look after her , she look after me.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: January 29, 2010 16:31

I will be there!. Only missed the 81/82-tour. i am sure they will cut the ticket price and the last time to see them.

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: January 29, 2010 16:34

I will be there! BUT, I would bet that they will never tour again....

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: January 29, 2010 16:41

I saw them only twice so I'll definitely see them again and I thin that all the talk about them not being able to play well anymore is exaggerated.I saw them twice on ABB tour on two different legs and they sounded great for most of the time.They only messed up a couple of songs they seemed tired of performing.

Date: January 29, 2010 16:44

chrismusic

Maybe those cowbell playing session musicians are expensive winking smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 29, 2010 16:47

I'll decide when and if they announce a tour. Right now I can't afford a show.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 29, 2010 16:51

I will be there, that's for sure! How can someone write that the band is held together by backing tracks? C'mon... Okay, maybe they are not what they were in the seventies. I can't judge that, I only know this period from bootlegs. But they still do gret shows and there are many reasons to go and see them a couple of more times...

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 29, 2010 16:51

Havo
I will be there!. Only missed the 81/82-tour. i am sure they will cut the ticket price and the last time to see them.

I would not counmt on them cutting the ticket prices Havo..what would be their incentive?

In any case doesn't the promoter Michael Cohl not the Stones set the ticket prices as they get paid up front for the tour?

I will go to as many shows as I can but will not buy tickets in advance for the outrageous prices this time around. If it is anything like the last tour there should be plenty of people selling good seats in the parking lot before the show at below face value I think...............

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 29, 2010 16:53

I would love to see and hear them play in a concert hall like the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam or such kind of place, provided that Mick Taylor is in the band too playing the great, old but timeless songs for the last time. That would be a fine way to end up, because I think it's time for them to go.

Rotterdam 1982 was my first and last big stadium concert experience. Just horrible.

PS: kingkirby, I suppose there are some fine boots from the 1969, 1970 and especially 1971 tours that you might love as well.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: January 29, 2010 16:55

Very difficult decision; Nijmegen 2007 was terrible and I don't want to see my heroes end up as James Brown, also a hero with very embarassing shows his last years, than I'd rather keep the memories.

On the other hand, if it's going again my heart might be stronger than my mind...

Date: January 29, 2010 17:08

kleermaker
PS: kingkirby, I suppose there are some fine boots from the 1969, 1970 and especially 1971 tours that you might love as well.

You're right of course kleermaker!

Date: January 29, 2010 17:11

shedooby
Very difficult decision; Nijmegen 2007 was terrible and I don't want to see my heroes end up as James Brown, also a hero with very embarassing shows his last years, than I'd rather keep the memories.

It's funny shedooby i had the same experience also with James Brown - mind you different versions of the JBs used to play London every couple of years and they were always phenomenal...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 29, 2010 17:41

Not unless I can find a cheap ticket. Or someone gives me one. I'm not chasing them around the Southeast United States to pay too much money to listen to a poorly played live version of Hot Rocks.

Backing tracks - that means the band plays along to a set beat and a "pre" recorded tape plays along with them. That's not what the Stones do, that's what Def Leppard and Aerosmith and U2 do.

The Stones use SAMPLES. Their OWN samples. Big difference. They use their own sample of the cowbell in Honky Tonk Woman to start the song, at least they did in 1989. I haven't paid attention to it since then because the performance of the song sucks now and I skip it.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: January 29, 2010 17:45

Me. Haven't seen them the last 2 tours and from what i'ver heard on boots i made the right decision. What a crap band they've become.

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: January 29, 2010 17:51

kingkirby
chrismusic

Maybe those cowbell playing session musicians are expensive winking smiley

...they take a real cow on tour with them for that, don't they!?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 29, 2010 17:52

kingkirby
Or am I the only one?

King Kirby

King Kirby ,until now it seems you are the only one,yes ,with your mate gimme-shelter .smiling smiley

I'll be there again ,if life allows me to go to other shows.
I can't blame you on pointing out the few weaknesses of the last Stones show.....but despite it ,I hope there will be a last Tour and I hope be there .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 29, 2010 17:54

They ought to bring a living cow with a bell on the stage next time!

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: January 29, 2010 18:30

Me too - Im done with Vegas Stones. The Isle of Wight 2007 performance will live long in the memory, but for all the wrong reasons, and Shine a Light pretty much finished the job off.

Credit where credit is due though, up to 73 no one could touch them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-29 18:31 by Tricky76.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 29, 2010 18:37

I'd only go if I got a free ticket. The Rolling Stones circa 2010 are no longer the band I loved over the last 35 years...

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 29, 2010 18:41

ChrisM
The Rolling Stones circa 2010 are no longer the band I loved over the last 35 years...

Unfortunately or hopefully ,they ARE .smiling smiley
Were you exactly the same 35 years ago ?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 29, 2010 18:43

SwayStones
kingkirby
Or am I the only one?

King Kirby

King Kirby ,until now it seems you are the only one,yes ,with your mate gimme-shelter .smiling smiley

No he absolutely isn't.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1487
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home