Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: J.D. Salinger has died
Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 2, 2010 06:28

tatters - I understood your post. Chapman thought he was a hypocrite but Lennon was not a hypocrite I was trying to make that point.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 31, 2013 14:46

This looks like it might be good. Anyone seen it yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-31 14:56 by tatters.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 1, 2013 01:54

Speaking of the Salinger film, more books by the author are on the way....

Film on Salinger Claims More Books Are Coming

LOS ANGELES — J. D. Salinger may not be done publishing after all, according to claims in a new film and book set for release next week.

Mr. Salinger, who died in 2010 at the age of 91, has been known for a distinguished but scant literary oeuvre that was capped by the enormous success of his 1951 novel, “The Catcher in the Rye.”

But a forthcoming documentary and related book, both titled “Salinger,” include detailed assertions that Mr. Salinger instructed his estate to publish at least five additional books — some of them entirely new, some extending past work — in a sequence that he intended to begin as early as 2015.

The new books and stories were largely written before Mr. Salinger assigned his output to a trust in 2008, and would greatly expand the Salinger legacy.

Full story at: [www.nytimes.com]

Date: September 1, 2013 03:04

"I ate punks like you for breakfast in the big war, and I'll show you where you can stick that camera!"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-01 04:27 by tatters.

Date: September 1, 2013 05:26

I hated all I had to read in school until Salinger´s "Catcher in the Rye" appeared - and I loved it....

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: September 1, 2013 10:47

Catcher In The Rye was a load of shit. One of the most hyped and yet totally unrewarding books I have ever read. Wish I hadn't bothered.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 1, 2013 11:09

tatters
Rockman

This is STILL considered by his publisher to be his "current" official photo. It was taken in 1951.

thanks for the pic Rockeee. RIP J.D. smoking smiley

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 1, 2013 11:16

dcba
Sir Craven of Cottage
If JD Salinger had never existed John Lennon would still be alive - not confrontational , just an observation

I don't see the point of mentioning in the same sentence a great talent and a 4th rate songwritter. Salinger was spared the burden of having a Yoko around his neck. He kept his life AWAY from mass-medias whereas LennonOno couldn't take a crap without calling a TV crew.

Don't you think it's wonderful that in the Twitter webonanist age there's NO recent pic of J.D. thumbs up
Thomas Pynchon keep on being elusive! winking smiley

Never thought of John Lennon as a 4th rate songwriter....confused smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 1, 2013 13:09

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-01 13:29 by Erik_Snow.

Date: September 23, 2013 14:42

I saw the "new and improved" version of the movie over the weekend. It still wasn't very good.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-23 14:43 by tatters.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 23, 2013 18:23

Salinger was a great writer for his time, and the documentary and the book (I was sent an advance copy) are a mess. Always someone out there who swears their respect for the person they want to make a buck off.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 23, 2013 19:07

I'm not expecting much from the five "new" Salinger novels to be published because Truman Capote (who worked as an office boy at The New Yorker Magazine before he was published in it) said in the book Conversations with Capote:

INTERVIEWER: "Why do you suppose Salinger stopped writing?"

CAPOTE: "I'm told on very good authority, that he hasn't stopped writing at all. That he's written at least five or six short novels and that all of them have been turned down by The New Yorker and that he won't publish anywhere except in The New Yorker. And that all of them are very strange and all about Zen Buddhism."

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1696
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home