Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: J.D. Salinger has died
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 28, 2010 23:12

Beat ya to it, Skelter!

Re: OT: J.D. Salinger has died
Date: January 28, 2010 23:18

Open the vaults!

Date: January 28, 2010 23:43

If JD Salinger had never existed John Lennon would still be alive - not confrontational , just an observation

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: January 28, 2010 23:49

one of my faves along with Bukowski and Kerouac...........r.i.p.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-28 23:50 by Rollin' Stoner.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 28, 2010 23:52

..............RIP

ROCKMAN

Date: January 29, 2010 00:00

Date: January 29, 2010 00:01

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 29, 2010 00:07

Sir Craven of Cottage
If JD Salinger had never existed John Lennon would still be alive - not confrontational , just an observation

Rubbish.

The greatest Writer died ( Salinger).
Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: January 28, 2010 23:15

J.D.Salinger changed my life with 4 books, FOREVER AND EVER. All my thoughts to his family.Tears. Szbss.

Re: The greatest Writer died ( Salinger).
Date: January 28, 2010 23:42

If JD Salinger had nevere xisted John Lennon would still b alive. Not being confronational - just an observation.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 28, 2010 23:49

yeah but why Lennon? and what did Salinger's book have to do with it? I know he said he was inspired to murder Lennon, but what was the Catcher In The Rye connection...?

Date: January 28, 2010 23:57

duke richardson
yeah but why Lennon? and what did Salinger's book have to do with it? I know he said he was inspired to murder Lennon, but what was the Catcher In The Rye connection...?

Briefly,

Chapman went to New York in October 1980 planning to kill Lennon. He left the city for a short while in order to obtain ammunition from his unwitting friend Dana Reeves in Atlanta. He returned to New York in November but, after going to the cinema and being inspired by the film Ordinary People, he returned to Hawaii, telling his wife he had been obsessed with killing Lennon but had snapped out of it. He made an appointment to see a clinical psychologist but instead, on December 6, flew back to New York. He offered cocaine to a taxi driver.[5] He reports having re-enacted scenes from The Catcher in the Rye.

Re: Salinger
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 29, 2010 00:06

love & light to him - thanks & praises, love & light

Date: January 29, 2010 00:18

Date: January 29, 2010 00:19

Date: January 29, 2010 00:51

Sir Craven of Cottage

Ridiculous. MDC would have read another book, by another author, and found another excuse to do what he did.

Date: January 29, 2010 00:53

Sir Craven of Cottage
duke richardson

Briefly,

Chapman went to New York in October 1980 planning to kill Lennon. He left the city for a short while in order to obtain ammunition from his unwitting friend Dana Reeves in Atlanta. He returned to New York in November but, after going to the cinema and being inspired by the film Ordinary People, he returned to Hawaii, telling his wife he had been obsessed with killing Lennon but had snapped out of it. He made an appointment to see a clinical psychologist but instead, on December 6, flew back to New York. He offered cocaine to a taxi driver.[5] He reports having re-enacted scenes from The Catcher in the Rye.

Been a LONG time since I've read it, but I don't remember anything about Holden killing, or even fantasizing about killing, a famous musician. I'm curious to know if you think there is any SPECIFIC passage in the book that might have sent MDC off the deep end and what that passage might be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-29 00:54 by tatters.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 29, 2010 00:53

MDC would have read another book, by another author, and found another excuse to do what he did

YES....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: January 29, 2010 01:21

from what i remember, Holden Caulfield saw some people as being phoney, and Chapman saw the same thing in Lennon.

Date: January 29, 2010 01:29

bernardanderson
from what i remember, Holden Caulfield saw some people as being phoney, and Chapman saw the same thing in Lennon.

That's right. I remember that now. Not sure what it was about Lennon that Chapman thought was "phoney", though. Actually, it's hard to think of a celebrity LESS phoney than John Lennon.

Date: January 29, 2010 02:06

Rockman

This is STILL considered by his publisher to be his "current" official photo. It was taken in 1951.

OT: Legendary Author J.D. SALINGER dies at 91
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: January 29, 2010 00:25

Author of one of the most legendary and famous books of all times - CATCHER IN THE RYE - has died at his home at the age of 91. He was know as a youth hero and and a fugitive from fame by living as a hard core recluse and never allowing Hollywood to make a film of his very controversial and well known book - an extreme rarity.

CATCHER IN THE RYE also has a very dark side when a crazed, insane Beatle's fan shot and killed John Lennon in December 1980, citing Salinger's novel as an inspiration. The murderer was arrested as he leaned against a wall next to the entrance to Lennon's upper West side NYC Dakota building (Site of Lennon's shooting) calmly reading the book.

Salinger remained a major recluse most of his adult life even though the curtain started to slightly part in recent years. In 2000, daughter Margeret Salinger's "Dreamcatcher" portrayed the writer as an unpleasant recluse who drank his own urine and spoke in tongues. People would did know him in his reclusive years usually had very little of any kind of positive behavior to report - maybe, with his death, a more balanced picture will be painted of the man, time will tell.

R.I.P. Mr Salinger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-29 00:30 by HelterSkelter.

Re: Legendary Author J.D. SALINGER dies at 91
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 29, 2010 00:26

How could we missed that one .......................

Date: January 29, 2010 00:28

opps, I missed that this was already posted, maybe BV can consolidate these 2. I have no problem with tatters thread being attached to the end of this one. SORRY !!!smiling smiley

Date: January 29, 2010 00:29

NICOS
How could we missed that one .......................

I know, I know.... Just woke up, sorry to all smiling smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 29, 2010 00:30

2 Helter? grinning smiley

Re: OT: Legendary Author J.D. SALINGER dies at 91
Date: January 29, 2010 00:36

Yeah - 2pm - crazy, that old Demon Insomnia.... also I was on the phone with Apple/Mac FOREVER when the whole high speed system went down in the middle of the night.... modern life's gonna kill me....

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 29, 2010 00:36

This guy was so good he gets 3 RIP threads.eye rolling smiley

Date: January 29, 2010 00:48

Let's let Helter's thread be the OFFICIAL one. I insist. It's enough for me just to know that I have SCOOPED him!

Date: January 29, 2010 00:58

Salinger has had nothing published since 1965. Supposedly, he never stopped writing, and two completed, unpublished novels are "in the vaults", with instructions to his literary agent to publish them after his death.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home