Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: Mick Taylor
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 10, 2010 09:12

This discussion is obsolete. I mean, RS were great during MT period, and MT has been the most skilled guitar player in RS. Their music was at their peak. After his departure, a new group was born, nor better nor worse, a different group in a different era.
In the 90s grunge replaced hair rock and virtuosity, it was a different time.
)I think RW period 1978-1983 was great too, i enjoyed it a lot. It was the new wave time, reggae, punk, no solos..........
in 2010 there is no place for long soloing, but in hard rock heavy metal scene.

Times change, and you must change the chip. But 1977 , long guitar solos were outr of time.............. maybe at the end of the eighties it should hace fitted well

And brown sugar, JJF, and a lot of warhorses do not use solos.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 10, 2010 09:25

KeithNacho
This discussion is obsolete. I mean, RS were great during MT period, and MT has been the most skilled guitar player in RS. Their music was at their peak. After his departure, a new group was born, nor better nor worse, a different group in a different era.
In the 90s grunge replaced hair rock and virtuosity, it was a different time.
)I think RW period 1978-1983 was great too, i enjoyed it a lot. It was the new wave time, reggae, punk, no solos..........
in 2010 there is no place for long soloing, but in hard rock heavy metal scene.

Times change, and you must change the chip. But 1977 , long guitar solos were outr of time.............. maybe at the end of the eighties it should hace fitted well

And brown sugar, JJF, and a lot of warhorses do not use solos.

You still think the issue is solos. It is not (let alone long solos). It is overall skill and taste in playing, as well as the sounds the two guitars in the Stones have made in different periods with different players. And Brown Sugar most certainly has had solos. There was often a Taylor solo instead of - or in addition to - a sax solo on the live version of the song.

Musicianship in a band is not just soloing. It's what you play when you're NOT soloing. That's where the anti-Taylor people are really missing the boat. You only have to listen.

Date: June 10, 2010 09:29

I live both MT and RW, but times they are achanging.....................

Date: June 10, 2010 11:09

<And Brown Sugar most certainly has had solos. There was often a Taylor solo instead of - or in addition to - a sax solo on the live version of the song.>

Personally, I prefer BS with the extended sax solo. But Taylor did marvellous things to other songs without a guitar solo on the studio recording. Street Fighting Man, Gimmie Shelter and JJF come to mind.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 10, 2010 14:51

cc
Amsterdamned

Imo the highest goal of a musician is to improvise on the spot;like jazz players do.
That's what I like about Taylor.At least it's most creative.

glad that you've shared your opinion, but can you say why improvisation is so important to you? It's not necessarily the case that every musician feels the same way.

I compared Taylor with a jazz musician.Their highest goal to improvise.I like to play jazz too.

But there are enough musicians that just like to play for fun,or as good as possible.
That's ok.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 10, 2010 18:05

71Tele
cc
71Tele
I love when people criticize MT for "too much soloing" and have not a thing to say about the seemingly endless bars of mindless hacking away at his guitar that passed for Ronnie Wood "soloing" on many tours.

endless? not really--only in '75-76, the only tour when ron's role was seemingly to replace taylor. Did he take any extended solos thereafter?

Yes, if you count all the tours where they played the vamp of JJF (and other songs) over and over again and Ronnie clenches his teeth and flails away without rhyme or reason on the upper frets ad infinitum. It's godawful.

agreed that ron has often been shockingly poor in the way you describe, but I recall these moments being more about the overall rhythm, and for good reason, rather than the solo, which may or may not even be happening.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 10, 2010 18:29

cc
71Tele
cc
71Tele
I love when people criticize MT for "too much soloing" and have not a thing to say about the seemingly endless bars of mindless hacking away at his guitar that passed for Ronnie Wood "soloing" on many tours.

endless? not really--only in '75-76, the only tour when ron's role was seemingly to replace taylor. Did he take any extended solos thereafter?

Yes, if you count all the tours where they played the vamp of JJF (and other songs) over and over again and Ronnie clenches his teeth and flails away without rhyme or reason on the upper frets ad infinitum. It's godawful.

agreed that ron has often been shockingly poor in the way you describe, but I recall these moments being more about the overall rhythm, and for good reason, rather than the solo, which may or may not even be happening.

OK, point taken. As I said elsewhere, it's more of an issue of overall playing to me than solos. I miss the tight interplay and counter-rhythms the Stones' guitars had live in 69-73. There have been great shows after that period, of course, but the guitars never reached the same level. Most recently, of course, it has not been just Ronnie.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 11, 2010 08:23

Here we go again! Check out August 19th.
Just sent out today. not even on the SM Pier web site yet. Sent out via newsletter.
We will se if this ever takes place.

The Twilight Dance Series is returning for its 26th year with a full 9-week schedule!
Beyond the Pier Sign readers may recall that the series faced a financial crisis earlier this year, and the likelihood of a full schedule looked bleak. But, thanks to generous donations from the City of Santa Monica, Pacific Park, the Bayside District Corporation, Bloomingdale's, the Australian Consul General, the Office of Zev Yaroslavsky, the Santa Monica Pier Lessee's Association and numerous contributions from individual donors, this summer will be filled with Santa Monica's most revered annual event.
The schedule has just been finalized, and we're ready to share it with you today! Here's a quick glance at the schedule:
July 8 - Konono No. 1 (Congolese Trance Dance-tronica)
July 15 - Down Under Festival: Australia Sings (Artists TBA)
July 22 - Jovanotti (Italian Superstar) w/ Jace Everett & Ana Tijoux
July 29 - Kailash Kher's Kailasa (Indian Pop/Rock/ Bollywood)
August 5 - Rickie Lee Jones (Duchess of Coolsville)
August 12 - Soulive (Funk Jazz Organ Trio) w/ Breakestra

August 19 - Mick Taylor (Legendary Guitarist/Former Rolling Stone) w/ Tom Nolan Band

August 26 - Beatlesfest w/ Abbey Road and Lep Zepagain
September 2 - Dr. John & the Lower 911 (New Orleans Icon) w/ Eddie Baytos & the Nervis Brothers
We will provide more details on each in our next issue.
All concerts begin at 7:00 p.m. and are free to the public. There will be a wine and beer garden for the convenience of concertgoers. For more information, please visit www.santamonicapier.org or call 310-458-8901.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: June 12, 2010 00:14

if you are a guitar player and a stones fan like myself, MT is an awesome talent.

Date: June 12, 2010 12:48

Midnight Toker
if you are a guitar player and a stones fan like myself, MT is an awesome talent.

That is very true; but i love the next step in RS music, which is the RW era. Maybe if MT should have continue with the RS things shoul´'nt have work......but we don't know it

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 12, 2010 22:56

Father Ted - I agree that MT is a better player but Ronnie has had some fine moments.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2546
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home