Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Jimmy Buffett on Waikiki Beach Hawaii
Date: October 5, 2007 12:07

I just got back from the Jimmy Buffett show on Waikiki Beach and it was fun.
He played for 2 and 1/2 hours, and played all of his well known songs.
After a while I ran into some friends and we hung around the perimeter away from the main seating area but we could hear everyhting fine and had a good time chatting and enjoying the show. Very fun atmosphere at a sold-out outdoor show.
I'd see him again in concert.

I'll post some video clips on youtube later.

Re: OT: Jimmy Buffett on Waikiki Beach Hawaii
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 5, 2007 12:11

Oh please, nnnoooooooooo!

My bossLOVES Jimmy Buffet! He even wears a t-shirt proclaiming to be a 'parrot' head.

It's awful! There's some strange song about getting drunk and screwing??

terrible, terrible!

Have you heard the duet he did with Sinatra? Should never have been allowed!

Date: October 5, 2007 12:20

ablett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh please, nnnoooooooooo!
>
> My bossLOVES Jimmy Buffet! He even wears a t-shirt
> proclaiming to be a 'parrot' head.
>
> It's awful! There's some strange song about
> getting drunk and screwing??
>
> terrible, terrible!
>
> Have you heard the duet he did with Sinatra?
> Should never have been allowed!
ok, I'll hurry up and post the clips as soon as possible JUST FOR YOU!!
lol
He didn't play why don't we get drunk and screw...it's not so strange, it's a sing-along country music parody.
But...lighten up dude...Jimmy's FUN!
smiling smiley

Date: October 5, 2007 12:29

Sorry Pal but my days hard enough designing cat litter bags without some strange country music played by a guy wearing hawian shirts!!

LOL....

I'm sure you had fun.....

Posted by: yapyap#3 ()
Date: October 5, 2007 12:44

Date: October 5, 2007 13:00

self portrait?

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: October 5, 2007 13:01

Saw Buffett last week in SoCal. There's nothing like it. The parking lot scene before the show is like no other.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: October 5, 2007 13:35

ablett Wrote:
> Oh please, nnnoooooooooo!
>
> My bossLOVES Jimmy Buffet! He even wears a t-shirt
> proclaiming to be a 'parrot' head.
>
> It's awful! There's some strange song about
> getting drunk and screwing??
>
> terrible, terrible!
>
Yo Ablett, I feel your pain my man.... But lets get real - this is all one big PUT ON by NumberOneStonesFan since one of the main LAWS OF PHYSICS states that it's cosmically impossible to be a fan of the Stones and Buffet in the same non -parrallel universe - I mean it's PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE so good try NOSF but some of us remember our "LAWS OF PHYSICS" fondly from our school days..... (it's actually SO rediculous if you really think it through).... GOOD ONE !!! ALOHA and HANG LOOSE !!

Date: October 5, 2007 13:37

Cheers pal! saved me from more therapy!!

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: October 5, 2007 14:53

I LIVE IN WAIKIKI BEACH AND SOMEHOW DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS AND SAT HOME BORED! WHERE DID HE PLAY

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 5, 2007 15:16

helter wrote: "it's cosmically impossible to be a fan of the Stones and Buffet in the same non -parrallel universe"

I attended several JB shows over the past 10 years and have many JB cds.....it
was mostly a chance to connect with my folks (big JB fans) but it was fun too.
Not much interest in JB now but...i don't think it's "cosmically impossible"...in
fact JB is a Stones fan....he's played a few of their songs (JJF, YCAGWYW etc...)
in concert and mentions the Stones in one of his.

His appeal to me was.....the party atmosphere and clever lyrics.
Now he's just one big cheesey commercial for his Margaritaville restaurants & tequila. Now he's a bit of a phony, I think.

We all go through phases.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: October 5, 2007 18:53

kahoosier Wrote:
> I LIVE IN WAIKIKI BEACH AND SOMEHOW DID NOT KNOW
> ABOUT THIS AND SAT HOME BORED! WHERE DID HE PLAY

Waikiki Shell...

Date: October 5, 2007 19:22

ALOHA

it ain't all bad, he's got a happening little restaurant in Key West I believe...

I love how NumberOneStonesFan is not breaking character....tell me, since it's only a 5 hour flight for me, when is the DONNY AND MARIE OSMOND REVUE gonna be "rockin" the Wakiki Shell? I can buzz out for a long weekend vacation on that one .......

Remember that guy in college that whenever there was a big party and everyone was stoned and shitfaced? Well, all of a sudden an acoustic guitar would show up and be in the hands of the residental frat dude with the good voice doing Dave Mason, Cat Stevens, and James Taylor songs? (oh, of course he also did a mean version of "Lucky Man" by ELP - always) Everybody would be totally wasted and clap and howl after every song cause this guy was actually pretty good and he was the same guy that cheated off your French III Final Exam the week before? OK, that, my friends, IS Jimmy Buffet.... how he hit the big time I will NEVER effing know.... maybe he was down at the crossroads the same time as Mick when they were cutting deals and signing contracts with the red dude with the tail and pitch fork. That's the ONLY way I can see it happening but the Stones are still around and mega successful so who knows what went down at the crossroads in Clarksdale - obviously some serious shit..... Jimmy should have had a clause in there about a full head of hair the way Mick did, bad move on Jimmy's part but his owning his own Hawaiian shirt factory almost makes up for it in terms of revenue....ALOHA and HANG LOOSE

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: October 5, 2007 19:47

.....sh!t, I've seen Buffet before. I love his music, except the stupid song about cheeseburgers.......and some song about fins.......oh and that calypso type song about an erupting volcano......but I love the rest of it.....good beach mood music.........I guess my favorite is the old "Come Monday." And like jomo297 and neo con said, the parking lot parties are worth the price of admission....girls in bikinis....frozen drinks......dang, I'm half way there now.

Posted by: Glamorous Nymph ()
Date: October 5, 2007 20:04

Is Jimmy Buffett the middle aged, bald singer with a pot belly that makes that howling sound when the girls in the audience rip off their tops and shake their titties at him? I'll shake mine for him if he buys me one of these new mini BMW's. they are so cute, I LOVE THEM !!!!

Date: October 5, 2007 21:17

LMAO, yeah, that's him Glam Nymph.... Is this all the love Everyone has for Jimmy? ONLY 15 comment and THAT'S IT !?!?!? Even Im feeling his deep, never ending pain right about now.....

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 5, 2007 21:25

Warren's cousin, not a big fan, but when I saw him live back in 1982 I was totally impressed.

"My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink and I Don't Love Jesus"

Date: October 6, 2007 04:07

ablett Wrote:
> Sorry Pal but my days hard enough designing cat
> litter bags without some strange country music
> played by a guy wearing hawian shirts!!

HEY!! What's wrong with Hawaiian shirts!!!!!!
I wear them every day.

But I do hope your days dealing with cat poop improve...lol

Date: October 6, 2007 07:07

Hey, that's a cool shirt #1, too bad they didn't use the non-censored cover, wasn't that out for quite a while before they redid it? I think it was if I recall back in the day.....

Date: October 6, 2007 08:09

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> Hey, that's a cool shirt #1, too bad they didn't
> use the non-censored cover, wasn't that out for
> quite a while before they redid it? I think it was
> if I recall back in the day.....

Yeah, Gazza or someone can porbably provide the exact statistics but they were threatened with legal action to remove the images of those starlets.
The original cover was re-issued in 1994.
I'd like to get the orginal cover on a shirt, that would be cool.

Date: October 6, 2007 21:31

HelterSkelter Wrote:

the DONNY AND MARIE OSMOND
> REVUE gonna be "rockin" the Wakiki Shell? I can
> buzz out for a long weekend vacation on that one
> .......

Donny and Marie are comng out here? I hadn't heard that yet. That wuold be a cool show.

Seriously though...I'm not a huge Buffett fan or Parrot Head, but he has some catchy tunes and the atmosphere at the show was fun so I just went to check it out.

Ideally though...We'd want to see the Rolling Stones at the Waikiki Shell...how cool would that be huh?
8,000 in the Shell seating area and then another 50,000+ outside hanging out at the Kapiolani beach park at the foot of Diamond Head Crater.

Date: October 6, 2007 22:22

I was just jokin' around #1SF (as usual)... Buffett's OK, he's got some OK songs, I don't own his albums but would check out a show if it wasn't any big hassle (I DO believe we did go to his restaurant in KEY WEST, will have to ask the "Little Woman" if we went in or just checked it out). BTW, I'm the ONE that did see Donny and Marie at a convention dinner years ago when I went with a GF to the big closing night events.... don't have a clue to what songs they did but it helped to be buzzed, which we were. A very bizarre night I must say !!!

Date: October 6, 2007 22:42

If D&M did a reunion tour my wife and I would probably go just for nostalgia...
Plus, I drag my wife to see the Stones, Ted Nugent, The Who, George Carlin etc so in turn I see her faves...and D&M is her genre...

Buffett has restaurant in Vegas too...I went by it but it looked way overcrowded so I didn't go in.
A buddy of mine said Buffett will sometimes plays songs outside his restaurant in Key West when he's around...I think that's pretty cool.

Could you imagine Mick and Keef doing a spontaneous acoustic set on the sidewalk outside of a Hard Rock Cafe?
Gotta love that sort of stuff...

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: October 7, 2007 11:28

sweet neo con Wrote:
> helter wrote: "it's cosmically impossible to be a
> fan of the Stones and Buffet in the same non
> -parrallel universe"
> ****************

So not true. While I love the Stones, Jimmy is a great live show as well. Both are completely different. It is impossible to compare the two, but I do love them both. I for one am a Parrothead and a Stones Fanatic. I guarantee there are a lot of us out there.

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: October 7, 2007 16:05

i like the C/W Jimmy better than the carribean Jimmy. A1A, Son of a Son, Changes in Lats and Atts, are decent albums. i don't think that i could deal with going to a Buffet show, there would probably be nothing worse that walking around with a head full of beer and seeing my accountant in a grass skirt and coconut shell bra...that would definitly lead to eyeball scarring...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1535
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home