Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Johnny Depp - Keith Richards documentary
Posted by: Milan ()
Date: January 25, 2010 15:50

Hello all, newbie here - greetz from Serbia. No idea how I've missed to register here before, I remember reading all the great reviews back in 2007 from the Stones show here in Belgrade.

Anyhow, Johnny Depp was Kusturica's guest couple of days ago during the Kustendorf Film festival in Serbia, and in the interview for "Politika" (article in Serbian - [www.politika.rs] ) entitled "I'm making a documentary on Keith Richards" he said that in a week or two he's starting to work on the Keith Richards documentary, that "he's very touched that Keith agreed to stand in front of my camera", and that while he's in Serbia, his editor is already working on "kilometers of archive footage and live gigs".

Any more info about this project? Forgive me if this is the old news.

Cheers,

Milan

*edit after a year (since someone bumped my old thread to the top): question mark out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-18 15:58 by Milan.

Re: Johnny Depp - Keith Richards documentary?
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 25, 2010 16:10

thanx, i never heard of that. sounds great

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 25, 2010 16:24

Luckily Johnny is still alive to make this. Danged internet hoaxes.

Date: January 25, 2010 16:52

Heh, yeah... (Cindy is talking here about "Johnny's dead" hoax)

Anyway, since this seems to be new to others as well, I'll translate the whole bit about Keith, although it's all in my first post, really. Pardon my grammar mistakes an' all.

The serbian interviewer asked him: "You'll do it again - you're going to direct? You once told me 'never again'?"

He goes on a bit about his previous experience, and then he says: "Now that I'm wiser, and that enough time has passed, I can experience directing again. Already next week (that should be last week by now, btw) I'll start working on a Keith Richards documentary. While I'm in Drvengrad (place in Serbia where that film festival was held), my editor is already working on kilometers of archive footage and footage of his concerts. I'm very touched that Keith agreed to show up in front of my cameras."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-25 17:03 by Milan.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 25, 2010 16:56

Great Milan thanks for posting

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: January 25, 2010 17:40

[www.iorr.org]

We had a thread on this on January 14th, too.
But it's a great thing Depp's doing it!

Date: January 25, 2010 17:50

Ah! Thanks for that link. Should've used the 'search' option.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: January 25, 2010 18:01

No worries!
Happened to me 200 times, and still counting!

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 17, 2011 20:32

from digital spy

Johnny Depp: 'Keith Richards doc is intense'
Monday, January 17 2011, 16:28 GMT
By Justin Harp, Entertainment ReporterTweet this Digg this Send to friend More options
Johnny DeppKeith RichardsMoviesMusic
© WENN / HRC
Johnny Depp has explained that working on a documentary about Keith Richards's life has been a "fairly intense" experience.

WENN quotes the actor as saying that the project is being filmed whenever both he and the Rolling Stones guitarist have free time.

"[We film] any time he's got a minute, any time I've got a minute," he said.

The Tourist star added: "We've done one, let's say 'instalment' that was fairly intense. We shot for a few days and got 35 hours of footage. That's me and Keith talking. We're sitting on couches, drinking and talking."

Depp previously worked with Richards on the 2007 film Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End and both will return for Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, which is released on May 18 in UK cinemas and on May 20 in the US.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 17, 2011 22:13

Ass licking ego project...

Now we can look forward to even more petty comments and revised Keith favouring history from a grumpy old bastid with the help of side clone Johnny.

Johnny: Keith, har har, can I lick your ass and stroke your giant petty ego?

Keith: lets see, sure thing baby, you can bust my crust anytime Johnny!

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 17, 2011 22:23

I'm looking forward to it. Let's face it will be more interesting than Mick Jagger documentary on C4 for Goddess in The Doorway

Date: January 17, 2011 22:40

Braincapers
I'm looking forward to it. Let's face it will be more interesting than Mick Jagger documentary on C4 for Goddess in The Doorway

Well it was revealing, but what it revealed wasn't so great.

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: January 18, 2011 02:09

His Majesty

Now we can look forward to even more petty comments and revised Keith favouring history from a grumpy old bastid with the help of side clone Johnny.

what a bullshit quote you put up...

totally disgusting ,, uncalled for,, and the lack of humour is leaps and bounds above your IQ

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 18, 2011 02:19

I hope it's better than the Depp voice over on the recent Doors documentary. He added nothing to what was already a rehash of well known footage and history. I don't know what happened to Depp. On Letterman recently he looked so carefully put together to be casual; like a million dollar hippie. And he's getting one of those strange, slow accents. The guys from Kentucky. You can't get much more earthy than Kentucky. Do they all have to take themselves so seriously in the end? It's dressup, acting for gods sake. Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, Eddie Murphy, all got carried away with themselves and looked down on making people laugh. I don't want Depp to become just another Hollywood douchebag, but maybe it's inevitable. Keith has already brought enough attention on himself with his well done autobiography. I hope Depp's documentary isn't as pointless to the Stones legacy as Scorcese's 'Shine A Light.'.

Date: January 18, 2011 03:10

northernale1
His Majesty

what a bullshit quote you put up...

totally disgusting ,, uncalled for,, and the lack of humour is leaps and bounds above your IQ

thumbs up

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 18, 2011 03:36

I am willing to suspend judgment and look forward to what might be an interesting doc. Stones have blown it in this area because of Mick's (mostly) fear/dislike of looking back. We still don't have a really good career retrospective about the Stones on film, and the recent Exile dvd was not what it could have been, wasting precious minutes on contemporary nobodies pontificating about the record. Perhaps Depp can do something interesting with his subject without the corporate sensibilities of Sir Mick around to filter the life out of it.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: January 18, 2011 06:30

71Tele
I am willing to suspend judgment and look forward to what might be an interesting doc. Stones have blown it in this area because of Mick's (mostly) fear/dislike of looking back. We still don't have a really good career retrospective about the Stones on film, and the recent Exile dvd was not what it could have been, wasting precious minutes on contemporary nobodies pontificating about the record. Perhaps Depp can do something interesting with his subject without the corporate sensibilities of Sir Mick around to filter the life out of it.

A documentary made by a sycophantic fan that worships the ground his subject walks on. I wouldn't be so willing to suspend that judgment.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: January 18, 2011 06:33

71Tele

Amen. Just needs to steer clear of certain aspects of the 'Being Mick' show, for example, recording with flavor of the week rap producers (Wyclef), and casually (awkwardly) mentioning current flavor of the week popstars (Britney Spears) covering Satisfaction. And mostly, please, no Elton charity luncheons!

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 18, 2011 06:54

That's probably the impediment to a really good doc on the band is Mick, and maybe Keith's, wanting to control what is said. I would love to see an on camera interview with Anita talking about Brian, and maybe some people still left who were friends.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 18, 2011 08:53

bustedtrousers
71Tele

A documentary made by a sycophantic fan that worships the ground his subject walks on. I wouldn't be so willing to suspend that judgment.

I don't know. Maybe better to suspend judgment than pre-judge. At least until we see what they come up with.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 18, 2011 09:15

Maybe call judge dread.

Could be very cool! Again so much negetivity about something that isn't even finished and no one has even seen! Boggles the mind.

Date: January 18, 2011 10:26

71Tele
bustedtrousers
71Tele

I don't know. Maybe better to suspend judgment than pre-judge. At least until we see what they come up with.

Date: January 18, 2011 09:15AM

Maybe call judge dread.

Could be very cool! Again so much negetivity about something that isn't even finished and no one has even seen! Boggles the mind.

I was just trying to say that a Stones related film by Johnny Depp's won't necessarily be any better than one made with the corporate sensibilities of Sir Mick around to filter the life out of it. It might be different, but just as bad in ot's own way. Mick and Johnny are both biased, and both likely to have very personal, controlled points of view and intentions.

I like Johnny Depp, and I'm really looking forward to this movie (I hope it actually gets finished, and doesn't fall apart for some reason). But sometimes he can be pretty pretentious and a little too serious about his "art" for my tastes. That makes me a bit concerned that his film may end up just being an overblown puff piece, that only praises and/or focuses on certain aspects of Keith and his life, without really telling his story.

That's all I was really saying.

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: January 18, 2011 14:37

bustedtrousers
71Tele
bustedtrousers
71Tele

Maybe call judge dread.

I was just trying to say that a Stones related film by Johnny Depp's won't necessarily be any better than one made with the corporate sensibilities of Sir Mick around to filter the life out of it. It might be different, but just as bad in ot's own way. Mick and Johnny are both biased, and both likely to have very personal, controlled points of view and intentions.

I like Johnny Depp, and I'm really looking forward to this movie (I hope it actually gets finished, and doesn't fall apart for some reason). But sometimes he can be pretty pretentious and a little too serious about his "art" for my tastes. That makes me a bit concerned that his film may end up just being an overblown puff piece, that only praises and/or focuses on certain aspects of Keith and his life, without really telling his story.

key words

MY and I

as for the biased part anyone who takes a project on has some sort of bias, positive or negative,,

so as so called stones fans,, why cant judgement be held off until the project is complete and viewed,,

i feel so for any other band the has longevity if there fans become as negative and bitter as stones fans,,

no wonder they dont tour,, what would be the point,, as there is no pleasing the so called stones fan these days

Date: January 19, 2011 04:24

northernale1
bustedtrousers
71Tele
bustedtrousers
71Tele

Maybe call judge dread.

key words

MY and I

as for the biased part anyone who takes a project on has some sort of bias, positive or negative,,

so as so called stones fans,, why cant judgement be held off until the project is complete and viewed,,

i feel so for any other band the has longevity if there fans become as negative and bitter as stones fans,,

no wonder they dont tour,, what would be the point,, as there is no pleasing the so called stones fan these days

Yeah, my and I, which clarify it as an opinion. That's what we do here, give our opinions and thoughts. Just because they aren't always positive, they shouldn't be given?

That's not right, is it?

And yes, anyone who takes a project on has some sort of bias. Even if they have no feelings one way or the other, and are assigned the project, inevitably they will develop some kind of feelings as the project takes shape, which will ultimately affect the final product.

But some people are able to keep their bias in check, and still make a finished product that is well rounded. When it comes to what I have seen and heard already from Johnny Depp about Keith Richards, I have doubts as to whether he will keep his bias in check.

But as I said, I like Johnny Depp, and I'm really looking forward to seeing this film. I will be really disappointed if it isn't made.

These are just my thoughts and opinions. What is wrong with my saying these things?

If it's a tone or intent that you personally interpret, that's one of the downsides of the discussions on these types of forums. Obviously, things don't always come across as accurately as they do in face to face conversation, where you can immediately ask questions, or explain exactly what you mean. And do so much quicker than you can here.

We can't help that it isn't possible to do that on here, so we tend to get our panties in a wad instead.

And a lot of people on here have become bitter and negative about the Stones for many reasons. Some valid, some maybe not so, but I think it's mostly because a lot of us don't like what they have evolved into. The big make money at all costs, Vegas show corporation.

It can't be 69, or 72, or whatever era, forever, but what they've done over the last 25 years just doesn't appeal to me. I have as much right to express that here as someone who prefers the past 25 years.

Where is the problem with any of this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-20 02:59 by bustedtrousers.

Re: Johnny Depp - Keith Richards documentary
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: January 19, 2011 04:59

I hope this will be a great film, and not a two hours "Keith is God" documentary. I hope Brian is given his due as well.

Re: Johnny Depp - Keith Richards documentary
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 19, 2011 05:16

The fact that there was allegedly a private concert segment filmed in LA in January 2010 with Steve Jordan, Waddy Wachtel, and Patti Smith (among others) backing Keith is encouraging. On the other hand, I wouldn't expect Brian to be given his due in a Keith documentary. This isn't another 25 x 5 so I don't expect the band's story to be told so much as HAPPY being Depp's valentine to Keith. I use that phrase without sarcasm. It is what I honestly expect of the project.

Date: January 19, 2011 16:55

His Majesty

...Beware, HM - sooner or later you'll find yourself only talkin' to yourself; probably in strange, funny voices ... and you won't even notice it at first!!
Please, man, take good care of yourself. And have a rest, from time to time.

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Date: January 19, 2011 17:08

MississippiBullfrog

...Beware, HM - sooner or later you'll find yourself only talkin' to yourself; probably in strange, funny voices ... and you won't even notice it at first!!
Please, man, take good care of yourself. And have a rest, from time to time.

M'kay.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1632
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home