Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: who was "lady Jane"??
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 22, 2010 21:53

SwayStones
In an unauthorized biography Jagger said that "Lady Jane" was slang for some part of women bodies.confused smiley

Anyone specialized in womens body parts versus Lady Jane............just to clear ths upconfused smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 23, 2010 12:50

I'd love to think it is a reference to Lady Chatterley's Lover - that gives a nice little extra twist to the song... actually then the whole song makes sense or justifies its existence...

- Doxa

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 23, 2010 15:07

Doxa
I'd love to think it is a reference to Lady Chatterley's Lover - that gives a nice little extra twist to the song... actually then the whole song makes sense or justifies its existence...

- Doxa

The song's music is strongly evocative of the 16th century. Is that when Lady Chatterley's Lover takes place?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 23, 2010 15:18

tatters
Doxa

- Doxa

The song's music is strongly evocative of the 16th century. Is that when Lady Chatterley's Lover takes place?

No, I think the book refers to time it was written, early 20th Century, a kind of late Victorian scene with all possible moral prejudices... the story is so capturing that the context does not really matter... but my point of stressing the Chatterley reference is like making a nice little twist or a wink - like they do in "Dear Doctor", "Sweet Virgina" or "Faraway Eyes" to country&western tradition but here by more sublime way - to otherwise so 'purified' Elizabethian (or whatever the historical & musical epoche is) scenary. It makes it more Stones-like winking smiley. A touch of rock and roll attitude... they are rebels after-all...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-23 15:22 by Doxa.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 23, 2010 17:49

The Sicilian
In over 40 years on the music scene it's hard to believe that these questions have not been answered or maybe even asked to Mick or Keith.

I would love to see a interview that was totally focused on song meanings, metaphors, people mentioned, rather than all this fluffy giggly crap.

They wouldnt answer them - Mick anyway. He's always been reluctant to have his lyrics dissected in any meaningful way. Even when asked about something like 'Angie', he comes off with something thats at best cryptic or at worst utter nonsense.

If writing about people, they often write multi-layered lyrics which can work on more than one level or or about composite characters, rather than one specific person. 'Lady Jane' is probably one such song.

Date: January 23, 2010 18:21

Doxa
tatters
Doxa

- Doxa

No, I think the book refers to time it was written, early 20th Century, a kind of late Victorian scene with all possible moral prejudices... the story is so capturing that the context does not really matter... but my point of stressing the Chatterley reference is like making a nice little twist or a wink - like they do in "Dear Doctor", "Sweet Virgina" or "Faraway Eyes" to country&western tradition but here by more sublime way - to otherwise so 'purified' Elizabethian (or whatever the historical & musical epoche is) scenary. It makes it more Stones-like winking smiley. A touch of rock and roll attitude... they are rebels after-all...

- Doxa

Finding a way to inject rock and roll attitude into a record with dulcimer and harpsichord is no mean feat!

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: January 23, 2010 19:55

tatters
Finding a way to inject rock and roll attitude into a record with dulcimer and harpsichord is no mean feat!
It is! Making a dulcimer a rock n roll instrument is pretty amazing!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 23, 2010 20:29

Gazza
The Sicilian
In over 40 years on the music scene it's hard to believe that these questions have not been answered or maybe even asked to Mick or Keith.

I would love to see a interview that was totally focused on song meanings, metaphors, people mentioned, rather than all this fluffy giggly crap.

They wouldnt answer them - Mick anyway. He's always been reluctant to have his lyrics dissected in any meaningful way. Even when asked about something like 'Angie', he comes off with something thats at best cryptic or at worst utter nonsense.

So it can be safe to say that he will take all lyrical meanings to his grave and leave the historians the honor of deciphering his thoughts.

Date: January 24, 2010 03:50

The Sicilian
Gazza
The Sicilian

So it can be safe to say that he will take all lyrical meanings to his grave and leave the historians the honor of deciphering his thoughts.

Artists aren't required to explain their art. It's probably better if they don't.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1494
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home