Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Between the Buttons (UK version) - an overlooked classic?
Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: January 25, 2010 00:11

His Majesty
I agree that the traditional stick way of fretting was used for CCC, but Gomper is more likely an actual slide.
If you're right...I stand corrected! smiling smiley But I must say that I have never come as close with a slide as I did with the stick. Just wish my dulcimer had that sound of the Vox Bijou.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 25, 2010 02:26

tonterapi

If you're right...I stand corrected! smiling smiley But I must say that I have never come as close with a slide as I did with the stick. Just wish my dulcimer had that sound of the Vox Bijou.

I say likely because Gomper seems a bit more messy and there's a bit more vibrato, noise etc in the notes. Of course it could be the stick and he's simply playing a bit more looser. smiling smiley

Is yours electric? If so is it a transducer type of pickup, that'd explain why it doesn't sound close.

You only need to source a single coil pickup, vol and tone controls from a early 60's UK Vox guitar and get that installed and it'll be virtually the same.

They appear on ebay sometimes, pickup like this...

[www.vintageguitars.org.uk]

The Bijou featured the pickup and controls found on many of the guitars from the time, the pickup, vol, tone controls appears to be housed in a plastic enclosure which is fitted in to the dulcimer.

Next best thing would be a contact mic, noisier, but it'd have the more lo-fi sound.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: January 27, 2010 18:03

No, mine is not an electric one (sadly). I use a cheap contact mic so I guess it's hopeless to get that Bijou sound. I have plans though to buy a better dulcimer and fit it with a pickup and controls like the Bijou...but dulcimers are rare in Europe so it has to wait for a while. smiling smiley

Posted by: MARSBAR ()
Date: January 27, 2010 19:19

Mathijs
His Majesty
Mathijs
It's the Stones take on typical Brit music like that of the Kinks and the Small Faces -witty, middle-class well-educated music. And that's just exactly what the Stones aren't.

Mathijs

They ain't/weren't a bunch of black blues musicians in the Mississippi delta, or 50's Chicago either.

No, but they where deriving their inspiration from the US, whereas the Kinks where deriving their inspiration from East Finchley. To me (as a Dutchman) the Kinks and the like always seemed very British, very eloquent, witty and well manored. Just as Monty Python very well could be the definition of British humor, so could The Kings define 60's British pop music. And the Stones to me are the opposite of this with their darker, meaner and more aggressive approach.

Mathijs
KINKS 1st album=1965
Beautiful Delilah
So Mystifying
Just cant go to sleep
Long tall Shorty
I took my baby Home
Im a lover not a Fighter
You really got me
SIDE 2
Cadillac
Bald Headed Woman
revenge
Too much monkey buisiness
Ive bin drivin on bald mountain
stop your sobbing
Got love if you want it
Witty,well mannered,inspiration from E.Finchley?very British?I dunno who you are talking about at all?Kinks define British pop music????????Europeans definitley had a different outlook on music obviously than we did mate.smoking smileysmileys with beer

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 12, 2010 23:16

buttons has been one of my faves since release. all sold out my obsession amanda jones; these are world class j/r songs...charlie is playing great. yeah production kinda far away and poppy. but i got deep into the songs and performances and always have thought, and still do think, this a criminally under-rated effort...they could crunch the sheeit out of all sold out and the ilk listed above...not their thing apparently. i loved it. i love it. important album...brian's last really...all things considered...too...

ooops i only know usa release being a youngster in northeast at the time.

but i've got back street girl and other ommissions from other releases...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-12 23:17 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: February 13, 2010 14:57

My favorite on Between the Buttons is Back Street Girl. I could listen to it forever. Connection, Complicated, and Miss Amanda Jones are also worthwhile. The rest of it is just OK.

I love the crude lyrics and haunting melody of BSG. The guitar work of Keith and the accordion playing of Brian make this particular song very unique.

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: February 13, 2010 15:04

flilflam
My favorite on Between the Buttons is Back Street Girl. I could listen to it forever. Connection, Complicated, and Miss Amanda Jones are also worthwhile. The rest of it is just OK.

I love the crude lyrics and haunting melody of BSG. The guitar work of Keith and the accordion playing of Brian make this particular song very unique.

I always felt that Jagger sang superb on Who's Been Sleeping Here, he really gives it all he has, it is just superb.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: December 4, 2012 15:47

Read somewhere that Back Street Girl & Please Go Home (notably the two tracks omitted from the US release) are folddowns on the original UK mono release... The remainder should be a dedicated monomix. Always thought the early sixties albums should have been released on CD in mono with the available stereotracks as bonus.

www.rsundercover.eu

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-08 04:12 by Britney.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home