Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bill Wyman's fourth album
Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: August 21, 2007 00:07

I found "Stuff" from the Bill Wyman Solo Collection at a used CD shop in the greater Los Angeles area yesterday. It was originally released only in Japan, in 1992.

Two song titles seem to be inspired by familiar Stones songs: "Stuff (Can't Get Enough) and "If I Was a Doo Doo Doo."

After playing it twice, all I want to say is: "Bill! Why, man?"

Can anyone offer interesting facts or opinions about this album before I shelve it?

Re: Bill Wyman's fourth album
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: August 21, 2007 04:33

This album sucks.

Maybe the worst Stones related album ever.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 21, 2007 04:45

The why part is simple. "(Si Si) Je Suis un Rock Star," "Come Back, Suzanne," and "A New Fashion" were all hit singles in Europe in 1981 and 1982 so he was hoping more synthesized pop from the world's greatest Cary Grant impersonator would score with audiences. It sat on the shelf for about four years before being released in Japan only in October 1992. Its recent reissue by Koch sees the album's widest exposure. Bill also knocks off "Stray Cat Blues" on "Mama Rap."

Date: August 21, 2007 04:49

OK, that's it. I'm taking that damn thing off Repeat. I've been playing it all afternoon, waiting for someone on IORR to share common wisdom on the album. Thanks, James Kirk!

The two missing Doo Doo's in the title "If I Was a Doo Doo Doo" are the album itself. "Stuff" is doo-doo to the core.

"Affected by the Towns" is a goofy title for a song, too. The chorus goes something like "people affected by the towns." Say what?

And what gave Bill the right to rename a Randy Newman song covered on "Stuff"? It's "YOU CAN Leave Your Hat On," not "Leave Your Hat On."

Japanese people should seek reparations from Bill for releasing "Stuff" only in their country upon its initial release.

I hope this post doesn't come across as being unnecessarily negative.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: August 21, 2007 12:07

I think if it had been recorded by a 'pretty' boy band it would have been quite a sucessful album (although this does not reflect the quality, 80's generic synth pap).

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: August 21, 2007 12:33

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-20 15:57 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: August 21, 2007 15:09

I bought it as the most expensive cd in my collection as an import when I was 15 or so. It costed about 40 Euros way back then. (560 Austrian Schillings)

Date: August 21, 2007 15:41

I regret saying negative things about "Stuff." Last night, the universe paid me back for being snotty.

I got robbed at gunpoint last night outside my home; two goons made off with my wallet and cell phone.

Keith-bashers, be careful about what you write.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 28, 2007 21:29

I have 5 Wyman albums but not that one... I guess I will stay lucky....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 28, 2007 21:32

There are those who would question their luck if they still owned five Wyman solo albums.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 28, 2007 21:36

He He.. but who want to get robbed for telling that...

2 1 2 0

Date: August 28, 2007 23:14

Funny how the passage of time allows you to see how you could have handled things better.

When I was robbed at gunpoint outside my home last week, before the robbers disappeared into the darkness with my wallet and cell phone, I should have asked them to wait and then gone inside to get my copy of Stuff to hand over to them, too.

Re: gunface
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 28, 2007 23:21

yikes - i'm sorry you got robbed at gunpoint outside your home.
that is most distressing & unsettling for sure. i hope you weren't hurt.

Date: August 29, 2007 00:27

Thanks for the good wishes, sssoul. No, I wasn't hurt because I reacted like a sissy and gave the robbers what said they wanted. I advise other people to do the same if they find themselves in that kind of a situation.

Don't you know the crime wave's going up, up, up . . . livin' in this town must be tough, tough, tough, tough.

Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: August 29, 2007 00:53

Monkeylad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the good wishes, sssoul. No, I wasn't
> hurt because I reacted like a sissy and gave the
> robbers what said they wanted. I advise other
> people to do the same if they find themselves in
> that kind of a situation.
>
> Don't you know the crime wave's going up, up, up .
> . . livin' in this town must be tough, tough,
> tough, tough.

A very clever attitude being a sissy in a situation like that. Nice nothing happened to you. Where do you live?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home