Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: "Streets of Philadelphia"
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 18, 2007 02:53

I don't know why, but this song seems so haunting. I know it concerns an AIDS victim, but to me, it could be about anyone with a debilitating and eventually fatal disease, like untreatable cancer or even uncontrolled diabetes.

Even after repeated listenings, it still touches me. It is one of Springsteen's masterpieces.

Re: OT: "Streets of Philadelphia"
Posted by: loochie ()
Date: August 18, 2007 02:55

yeah, haunting is a good word for that song, it's very beautiful...

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: August 18, 2007 03:06

Great song. I don't like a lot of post mid- eightees Springsteen stuff but that song is great. Didn't it come out around the same time as the other song about Philadelphia by Neil Young?

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 18, 2007 03:13

Both Neil's and Bruce's songs were part of the "Philadelphia" movie soundtrack. Tom Hanks won a best-actor Oscar for that, didn't he? Yeah, I think he did, This was before "Forrest Gump" and "Saving Private Ryan".

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: August 18, 2007 03:21

Yeah I remember now. Neil's song was played at the end during the funeral scene I think. They were both nominated for the best song academy award and Springsteen won. I remember he got a long standing ovation when he won the academy award for best song.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 18, 2007 03:31

Thats correct. First time he'd written a song specifically for a movie. Not a bad success rate.

he got nominated the following year too for 'Dead Man Walking' but didnt win.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1239
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home