Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What would sell the most: a live CD from the 72-73 tour or 05-07 tour?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 8, 2007 12:49

I would suspect that most of us would love a complete live show from 1972-1973 over the 2005-2007 tours, or maybe not, but overall what would the general public throw down their money for?

Could Charlotte 72 out sell the Beacon shows?

Re: What would sell the most: a live CD from the 72-73 tour or 05-07 tour?
Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: August 8, 2007 12:55

if there is a live CD of the Bigger Bang Tour with the occasional wahrhorses and a few (3-4) rare tracks i think it will sell better because as a souvenir to the concert goers and it´s also kind of a best of.

The 70s is interesting in historical meaning, also for the public but I don´t think THAT much people want to own it.

I would buy both winking smiley

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 8, 2007 13:00

I do not think Jagger would allow it many mainstream fans could actually see and compare the musicianship from 1972 to 2007 and be in SHOCK and AWE. When the stones are retired and not playing live I can see this a possibility.

play that guitar boy

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: August 8, 2007 13:03

i would personally love the stones to open the archives of every tour.

ive seen a lot of stones video,s/live performances on you-tube which previously had never been released on any video/dvd.

so they must have a lot more to release and im sure diehard stones fans would love the chance to see them.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: August 8, 2007 13:24

The latest will always sell the most.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 8, 2007 13:29

well so much of the 2005 2007 period is already in the culture due to dvd'd, web broadcasts like rio, superbowl special mini-set, the shine a light film coming soon...

and '72-73 has NEVER to my knowledge been given a very overwhelming deserved official release at all...except for the l&g movie which came and went pre-video and dvd days, and to this day has never enjoyed an official release...

boy, for me, a serious live album from the best of 72-73 would be such a tremendous gift...could you imagine? really great soundboards or whatever, really wonderfully re-mastered with all the 'raw' complex crunch still there...
that stuff WAS recorded beautifully live...i would love to have it and hear it...oh my goodness; something from brussels and some other usa stops including some of the great stuff from l&g maybe...a lot of stuff out there...would be totally stoked with a live one from 71-73; no such animal exists! and some of that tours boots are effin classic of classics here from what i can see...and hear.
i don't know what would sell most; but i expect the former, seeing as the there's been 8 recentish dvds plus other stuff available of this generation stones pretty much...plus the imax film of voo doo tour etc...
the earliest stuff is the really the missing link; and quality wise, i bet it would catch a lot of ears and fresh interest; just a guess tho...

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 8, 2007 13:42

"I do not think Jagger would allow it many mainstream fans could actually see and compare the musicianship from 1972 to 2007 and be in SHOCK and AWE. When the stones are retired and not playing live I can see this a possibility.

play that guitar boy"

Load of old twonk!

The Who release archive Live stuff with out this problem and although still good they're not a patch on the early seventies stuff (as expected being over 30 years ago!!).

I personally think Jagger and Richards just aint that bothered about the archive stuff being as things like the present tour and Biggest Bang are doing so well.

If they finally retire then the position may change

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 8, 2007 14:26

LA FORUM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The latest will always sell the most.

Not true. Neil Young's recently released Live At Massey Hall (1971) is his biggest selling album (live or studio) in many years. A 1972 live Stones album, if properly promoted (Mick goes on TV and says "This is the best we ever were, the best ANY band ever was"), could STILL be huge.

Date: August 8, 2007 15:04

I'd guess if it was on the lines of Zepplins How the West was won then it could be very popular

Posted by: David700 ()
Date: August 8, 2007 16:40

the '72 double live album was to be one disc stevie wonder the other the stones, i recall seeing a cover and seemed to be ready for release.
i would love to hear the complete 1977 toronto elmo show!

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: August 8, 2007 17:42

Ablett - we agree!!!! (must be a Blue Moon up there..)

If anyone's questions if a "older" Stones show would "sell" just look at
Led Zep's double release: DVD/CD = $$$$$$

Properly promoted, one of the 72 or 73 shows "should" sell well...

MLC

Date: August 8, 2007 18:06

Ahh, but MLC I also think a review of their whole career live would be a plus. Not just 72-73.

Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: August 8, 2007 18:19

Are you serius-I didnt see Taylor on this tour,did you?

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: August 8, 2007 18:24

It depends on what the consumer is looking for, if the consumer wants to listen to Blondie playing guitar with Keith adding a few strum/poses here and there, then the current CD/DVD would sell.

Now, if the consumer wants to hear MUSIC being PLAYED by gifted musicians, then the 72 CD/DVD would sell.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: August 8, 2007 18:29

72-73 is limited to a very few hard core fans, believe it or not. The most recent tour would sell. Why doesn't Mick allow the vaults to be opened from all the soundboards that exist? It's just dumb that we're listening to Tucaloosa '72 as fair audience when it was a KILLER show!

Date: August 8, 2007 18:30

Yawn! Go to a gig! The gigs I hit keith played his ass off.....

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 8, 2007 18:40

The sales of either title would be the same because the only people who'd care are ravenous completists like us.

Date: August 9, 2007 02:08

ablett Wrote:
> Ahh, but MLC I also think a review of their whole
> career live would be a plus. Not just 72-73.

They should test the waters by releasing 72-73 first. If it sells (and it will), they'll want to keep the vault releases coming.

Date: August 9, 2007 02:11

HEILOOBAAS Wrote:
> 72-73 is limited to a very few hard core fans,
> believe it or not. The most recent tour would
> sell.

Why? Live Licks didn't sell. No Security didn't sell. People don't need another live Stones album, unless it's something really special, like '72 Live.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 9, 2007 02:36

I agree. I think it would sell, but Stones Inc is just in another mind set. Its like they can't be bothered with the past.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 9, 2007 02:42

I don't think the Stones own the rights to L & G, Last I heard it was Klein who held up its release. What a pity, I have it and the sound is great. Oh my, I just admitted I own a bootleg, I hope they don't come and arrest me. LOL

Date: August 9, 2007 03:05

One can assume that the Stones have pristine soundboards from the 05-07 tour and one can hope that they also have complete soundboards from 72-73 tour as well.

The question about 72-73 is who has them and where, and have they been preserved and transferred to digital format before any deterioration occurs.

I myself prefer to have all the audience cheering between songs and onstage banter between the band members included in the show. I don't like any truncating of the moments between songs or from the time the lights go down. I don't care if nothing is said I just like the sound of the first note of the next song when it happens. I hate when you can hear a cheering track spliced into a song that may have been taken out of order or added from a completely different show.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: August 9, 2007 03:06

My vote would be for neither...I would say a 62-65 would be much more interesting....dont forget Jones...

JR

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 9, 2007 03:06

Well if it was a live album of just the Beacon shows,it might compete with a 72-73 live album. Otherwise,if they release a standard tour live album from this tour vs 72,73 it would tank.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: nikki bong ()
Date: August 9, 2007 03:17

is there a 'neither' option?

Date: August 9, 2007 03:29

There is always a neither, but hopefully you can decide on these two.

Just pretend that word leaked out that they were floating this idea and it was for the moment limited to these two tours.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 9, 2007 04:04

Archives = Pension

They're still actively generating an income.
The Archives will be their "income" when
they are no longer productive..or not as productive yet
still want the same lifestyle. ok...i know they have more $$ than
they can spend in 10 lifetimes.....but even for the SUPER wealthy,
there's never too much.

Now to answer Sicilian's question....I'd buy both obviously but
overall...because it would be such a big deal and would get
hyped by the media (i think).....lots of '60s-'70s Stones
fans that might have given up on them after Miss You/Emotional Rescue
might love it for nostalgic reasons.

And I'll also give the nod to "72-73" simply on a SUPPLY/DEMAND basis...
...there's plenty of live cds from the last 25 years...nothing official from 72-73.

Don't forget....Mick KNOWS Economics.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-09 04:04 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: August 9, 2007 04:26

I personally think a '72/'73 live album would sell. When I first started reading this thread, I thought to mention Zeppelin's excellent "How The West Was Won" set. I see several people have already mentioned it, as well as Neil Young's Massey Hall '71 release.

The "general public" may not care that much about which live album they buy, but the fans would. And to be honest, don't you think we (the fans) are the only one's buying every live album that they put out?

I think even some casual fans would pick up on a '72/'73 Live release. I consider myself a (semi-)casual Zeppelin fan. I don't even have all their albums (no "Presence", "Coda", or "In Through The Out Door" or any Plant and Page stuff) but I know that "How The West Was Won" blows the soundtrack from "The Song Remains The Same" away.

Anyways, I hope the faults are opened soon but I think it may take Mick Jagger's death for us to see the kind of "vault raiding" that we all dream of (think of how spoiled the Grateful Dead fans are).

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: August 9, 2007 04:27

R Wrote:
> The sales of either title would be the same
> because the only people who'd care are ravenous
> completists like us.

YEP - TOTALLY AGREE, Rock 'n' Roll ain't selling like it used too - THE KIDS AIN'T ALRIGHT !! (They're listening to no talent poser sh*t these days)

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 9, 2007 05:16

To paraphrase Bob Dylan when The Basement Tapes were released: "I thought everyone already had it."

But it is an interesting question. I too am curious to know how much interest there would be. I'd also be interested in how such a release would be reviewed in the media. The band might be a bit queasy thinking about that.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1574
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home