Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Faces album reissues
Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 7, 2007 02:20

According to All Music Guide (AMG) the Faces studio albums will be out in expanded/remastered editions July 23 on Rhino...Which makes me happy...

Re: Faces album reissues
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 7, 2007 04:18

Should we expect any bonus tracks not already released on the box set?

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 7, 2007 04:34

are the faces in the hall of fame

Date: July 7, 2007 05:00

re Hall Of Fame - dunno, but if Rod is, and Faces ain't, we need a riot.
The box was fabulous, one of the best ever, but it left me with enticing tracks from live shows that obviously exist in excellent quality as well as BBC stuff...As for more studio outtakes, seemed like the lion's share were from 'Ooh La La' (a few more early OOH sketches on 'Mahoney's Last Stand')...Also curious about the studio stuff recorded in '75, which produced several highlights ('Gettin' Hungry', 'Open To Ideas', etc) on that box...

Date: July 7, 2007 05:03

Get yer molotov cocktails out -- Faces are *not* in the RnR Hall of Fame.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: July 7, 2007 05:24

How can this band not be in this piece of sh**&^%$ hall of fame? Really amazing considering how many half ass bands got in... Well, anyway the re-issues are probably worth buying considering how much great material these guys put down in the studio. I always thought Faces albums were very well mixed, but maybe they have been improved on? The sound on the "Good Boys" anthology was a strong effort and the boxed set was of course fantastic. All I can say is I miss Laney for his passionate vocals, song writing, and killer bass lines, as well as Mac on Stones tours. Long live The Faces!

Date: July 7, 2007 05:34

its crazy that grand master flash is in and the faces and kiss are not, what a disgrace, last i checked grand master flash was not a rocknroll band , lol

Date: July 7, 2007 05:34

filstan dont know if you have the gold-disc (Steve Hoffman remastering) on the Audio Fidelity label of "Nod." If you're an audiophile, well worth it.

Date: July 7, 2007 05:36

Grand master flash??? WTFATG?

Date: July 7, 2007 05:38

I know, its ridiculous, i bet al sharpton had something to do with it

Date: July 7, 2007 05:44

Thanks John R, I don't have it, but would be interested in getting it. I guess one has to go to Ebay for that one. I play plenty of vinyl. I always thought the original release sounded so warm. It is correct to assume Glyn Johns mixed this one? I rate him up with Ron Malo and Jimmy Miller as one of the all time greats.

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: July 7, 2007 13:20

Release date has been postponed to September for the first 2 cds with bonus tracks,according to amazon.uk

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: July 7, 2007 14:39

this is good news, but they wont sell at all. The 5 guys in a bar set came out recently, and also for some reason the Faces stuff is up for free on lots of internt blogs, I think Rhino might make a big loss from these releases

Date: July 7, 2007 14:58

Hard to say how these will sell. Old farts like myself will buy them as will high fidelity freaks. My daughter who is just turning 21 loves The Faces and she has turned many friends on to the band. If the albums don't sell it is because people don't know these guys. Anyway, I am happy Rhino is making the effort to re-release this material.

Posted by: donnywas ()
Date: July 7, 2007 15:40

I'm looking forward to these releases. Rhino usually does a decent job in re-releasing stuff (nice packaging / bonus tracks etc.) and the Five guys box is still one of my favourite and most played CD-box. Hope we get some more (unknown) bonus stuff. (There's also some unreleased live stuff around, which some of us might know from bootlegs). The official Live-Album was a bit so-and-so, but there's some other killer live stuff around waiting to be released officially....

Date: July 7, 2007 18:09

Speaking of the Faces, I don t think the Small Faces or Humble Pie are in the Hall either. Ronnie Lane and Steve Marriot not in the Hall speaks volumes for the whole process.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 7, 2007 18:23

I put together a laundry list of worthy candidates still not in the HoF, and it was amazing in a very disturbing way. Top of it were these guys.

Small Faces should have been inducted the first year they were eligible. Anyone who knows anything about British Rock would have to agree. What would have been great about that is, ALL FOUR MEMBERS WOULD HAVE BEEN ALIVE TO ACCEPT THE HONOR.

Small Faces and Faces need to be inducted right away-- in the same year, just as Buffalo Springfield and CSNY were. (Save Mac and Kenney the airfare, just like they did for Stephen Stills)

And get Humble Pie in there too.

The fact that they're not in there already is incredible. The HoF people are idiots.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 7, 2007 18:33

they're idiots, so don't worry about who's in and who's not. it's a farce with no credibility as an institution or even a concept.

Posted by: Ron Wud ()
Date: July 7, 2007 20:04

Rock n Roll should never be about "Hall of Fames" or any kind of award ceromonies. The Faces were brill and back slapping by dinner jacketed diffs was not there scene. However they were great when appearing at the Brits in the 90s. But really they should have played the Lyceum instead!

Date: July 8, 2007 01:43

Is COAST TO COAST going to be part of this series?

Date: July 8, 2007 04:08

Nobody in the band seems to like Coast to Coast. Nothing was included on the box, either. In the US it came out (lp) on Rod's label, Mercury.I think the casette may have been on Warners, so not clear who has the rights. A live comp double retrospective would be nice...

Date: July 8, 2007 04:54

It was really a shame that Coast to Coast was done so late in their career. Faces bootlegs through 73 especially the BBC material was so good with the original band. The concerts were so much fun. This was before Stewart became a ego maniac and messed it all up. I think the Stones were jealous and a bit envious of those guys when Laney was still in the band.

Back to Hall of Fame issue. Amazing that the Small Faces or Humble Pie were never inducted! Small Faces were huge back in those days. They were completely original and still sound wonderful. Put on Lazy Sunday Afternoon and feel the magic of what a real rave up was all about. Humble Pie simply rocked the house. Marriott was the real deal, and one of Englands all time greats. He is certainly in my rock and roll hall of fame as well as the rest of the Faces and Small Faces.

Date: July 8, 2007 05:32

I think the stuff (3 tracks) from March '75 (San Bernadino?) included on 5 Guys (I Can Feel The Fire, Take A Look At The Guy, & epecially Angel) is real good. I saw them on the fall '75 tour, w/ Jesse Ed Davis, but I was 14 - would be curious to hear the band with that 2 guitar lineup. Clearly Ronnie Lane was irreplaceable, so I do wish for more live/BBC stuff up to '73. Those last two years, despite many worthy recorded tracks post-Lane, Ron and Rod were concentrating on solo/Stones courtship, and solo 'with real (American session) musicians' respectively.

Date: July 8, 2007 06:09

Mac did a fantastic job of setting up the tracklists on the box set. The above mentioned tracks are all very good. The fall '75 tour, w/ Jesse Ed Davis I didn't see, but my memory is not clear from those years. I seem to recall seeing the Faces in Phoenix at some fake surf place with lots of dust with Tetsu on bass. A drunken gig for all concerned. I was 22 in 75. Woody was sure on top of his game in those days...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 8, 2007 06:22

filstan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Woody was sure on
> top of his game in those days...

Voted "Most Valuable Player" in the 1975 Creem Reader's Poll.

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: July 10, 2007 22:22

I was wondering, are you guys Faces fans. Who also like Stones (since you here) or are you Stones fans, who also like Faces, because Ron Wood was there, and the music was a bit "a cheap Rolling Stones" kind og music.

If you look at the chart position Faces had, they didn't really sell a lot of records. And only one hit single.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 10, 2007 22:26

a "cheap Rolling Stones"? WTF? No way, no how. I could easily make an argument that the Faces were THE best band over about a 3-year period in the early 70's.... To be honest - I listen to a couple of their albums more often than I do any Stones albums....

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 10, 2007 22:28

filstan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks John R, I don't have it, but would be
> interested in getting it. I guess one has to go to
> Ebay for that one. I play plenty of vinyl. I
> always thought the original release sounded so
> warm. It is correct to assume Glyn Johns mixed
> this one? I rate him up with Ron Malo and Jimmy
> Miller as one of the all time greats.

I just picked one up on amazon (U.S.) a couple of months ago for around $20. Worth every cent and then some. And if you're familiar with Steve Hoffman's mastering work, you'll know why - it sounds totally natural and true to the master tapes.

Date: July 10, 2007 22:50

While I can only speak for myself it seems somewhat obvious that if you are a Stones fan, you HAD to love The Faces as well. Yes I was and still am a massive Faces fan. I have also loved the Rolling Stones for as long as they have been around. The Stones showed up first. The Faces came later in later and as it turned out all members were Stones fans, especially Woody and Mac. Both bands shared a mutual admiration for each others work. One must understand that while the Faces didn't chart particularly well, all of their albums were keepers and received huge playing time on my turntable. I play Faces albums frequently and they still sound just as good as they did 30 plus years ago. I really didn't know any Stones fans that didn't dig the Faces. They might have been out there, but I never met one. Faces concerts were rollicking rocking affairs, especially when Ronnie Lane was in the band. They were beloved by their fans who always felt they were just having a party with the band at a concert. The Faces used to give out bottles of wine at shows from the stage in the early years To call the Faces the "cheap Rolling Stones" is a bit harsh, but clearly the Stones were cutting awesome chops back in the days when both bands were kicking ass. As good as Faces concerts could be, yes it is true that they weren't THE ROLLING STONES! The Stones were at a higher level IMHO. That Ronnie Wood joined the Stones after MT left was a perfect match and every Stones fan I knew rejoiced when it was announced that Woody had become a Rolling Stone. Adding Mac to the lineup from 78 through 81 was also a great decision and the sound of the Stones benefited from these talented players. Would have interesting if Mac had stayed on, but those 2 guys were such hard partyers that they both might be dead by now trying to keep up with Keith. Too much blow and booze. It must have been fun while it lasted though. Sure wish Ronnie Lane was around. What a talent that guy was. Great singer, songwriter, and bass player. No surprise that Laney and Stew were good friends. I am sure they are rocking somewhere together.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: July 10, 2007 23:43

Well said filstan,I couldn't have put it better.
I saw them at Kingston Polytechnic in 71 brilliant despite a Rob sore throat ,I also saw them at the Weely festival but don't remember the date of that or if I'm quite honest much else about it 'cept Rod had become more of a prat by then and turned up in Bentley if my memory recalls anything ,and wearing a bloody pink suit.
Happy carefree days though even pushing a broken down Transit minibus seems somehow
more fun now in retrospect it ever was at the time
I have now checked the dates Kingston poly 3rd july
Weely Festival 29 august

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-11 00:12 by adotulipson.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1535
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home