Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Radio 2 - Who Breaks A Butterfly On A Wheel?
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 26, 2007 16:57

10.30 p.m. BST / 9.30 p.m. GMT BBC Radio 2, Tuesday 3rd July

Who Breaks A Butterfly On A Wheel - an hour-long exploration of the 1967 Redlands drug bust and its consequences - Lord Rees-Mogg (who write the famous Times editorial) and ALO will be among the contributors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-29 00:34 by Green Lady.

Re: Radio 2 - Who Breaks A Butterfly On A Wheel?
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 26, 2007 17:10

thanks for the info - it was originally scheduled for tonight,
but has been delayed by a week.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: June 26, 2007 17:16

Yes, thanks. Been trying to get hold of an original copy of The Times with that editorial in.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 26, 2007 18:36

I have a copy somewhere. Picked it up many years ago.
...can't think where it is actually ;^(

Should be an interesting listen...though I doubt that any fresh insights or perspectives will emerge.

Date: June 26, 2007 18:45

Hi Spud. Thinking of selling it? Contact me if so. marklewi@hotmail.com. Cheers.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 26, 2007 19:31

Where did this title come from? This is a line in a song by the Cult...

Date: June 26, 2007 19:42

I think you´ll find the editorial came first.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: June 26, 2007 19:57

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-26 19:59 by chippy.

Date: June 26, 2007 20:17

Great stuff. Thank you.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 26, 2007 20:34

the phrase "who breaks a butterfly on a wheel" is from an Alexander Pope poem, actually.
june 29th was the date the Glimmer Twins were sentenced, so the anniversary of the trials
is coming up any minute now ... here they are on june 30th, out on bail:

- june 30th 1967 (Bettman Archives)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-06 11:14 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 27, 2007 11:23

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the phrase "who breaks a butterfly on a wheel" is
> from an Alexander Pope poem, actually.

it sure is.... and he lived and is buried in Twickenham..
within sight of Eel Pie island

Date: June 27, 2007 12:41

I was born in 1961. So I missed out on the social upsettings the Stones caused. It,s difficult nowadays to imagine the uproar even having long hair could cause. But I think this editorial was an important part of the establishments indictment of the Stones. They were seen as a true threat to society. In USA one priest called a gathering to burn their records. It all seems ridiculous now. But that´s how the times were then. I enjoy the editorial because Mogg was right. Mick should be treated as if he were an unknown member of the public. To get the same treatment as anyone else. But it still goes on now. If I got arrested for driving while disqualified, do you think I would serve longer in jail than Paris Hilton?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 27, 2007 15:05

I'm gonna have to give that Cult disc another spin to listen to this song again! LOL

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 27, 2007 15:30

jagger50 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Spud. Thinking of selling it? Contact me if so.
> marklewi@hotmail.com. Cheers.

If I could lay my hands on it you'd be welcome to it mate.
I've actually had a look in one or two places where it might have been hiding but no joy. I hadn't given it thought in years.
The more I think about it now, the more occasions I recall on which it may have accidentally been thrown away.
Shame.

Date: June 27, 2007 16:27

Cheers anyway. Just wondering how many of us down the years have mislaid precious Stones items. About 30 years ago, I had 15 copies of the RS magazine. You know, that monthly one. Can I find it now?

Date: June 27, 2007 16:45

<I'm gonna have to give that Cult disc another spin to listen to this song again! LOL>

Great song! Soul Asylum, right?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 28, 2007 17:02

The humorist Craig Brown has written a sequel to 1066 And All That called 1966 and All That - All the Modern History You Can't Remember (covering the period from 1918 to the present day). If you know "1066" you'll recognise the style - if you don't, please be assured that ALL the wrong spellings and misinformation are intentional! Here is his take on the Redlands affair:

"A Mars Bra"

The lead singer with the Stolen Bones, Mick Jigger, was anointed the Voice of Youth. "You'll come to know youth," his parents told him when he was a child - and they were right.

A former student of the LSD, Jigger assembled a pop group consisting of Bill Why, Charlie What, Cliff Richard and Brian Jones, who was already dead. For their first five years they had Greatest Hits, and for the next thirty-five years they played them.

In 1967, police discovered Mick Jigger tucking into a Mars Bra with his girlfriend Miss Marianne Handfull, and arrested both of them. They claimed in court that Miss Handfull had been wearing nothing but a fur rug over her drugs bust.

Jigger was taken to court and charged with being in possession of Miss Handfull. A packed courtroom was informed that he was the Voice of Youth, so the Establishment was sent for.

The Establishment consisted of the Archbishop of Canterbury, the editor of The Times, HM The Queen Elizabeth II, the Admiral of the Fleet, the Chairman of the MCC, the Lord Chancellor and the Keeper of the Privy Purse.

They asked Jigger what it was like to be young. He told them it was like being a butterfly on a wheel.

Keen to understand the younger generation, the Establishment sent out first for a butterfly and then for a wheel. They spent the rest of the day trying to stick the one to the other, but with no success…

Date: June 28, 2007 17:14

>> Bill Why, Charlie What <<

tee hee

Posted by: turd ()
Date: June 28, 2007 17:20

I live fairly close to Redlands and 'dropped by' a few weeks ago to see if there was any sign off life - nothing.
It's hard now to imagine the rumpus that sleepy lane must have endured during that time (Feb 67), with police, press etc.
Tall gates and high fencing preserve Keiths privacy these days, though if you pop round the back (following the public right of way), you can clearly see the rear of the house and the garden, which hasn't been screened off. The place looks quite unlived in, a bit run down. Although the garden is well tended.
Maybe Keith will come back after the tour and get stuck in to some painting and decorating !!

Date: July 4, 2007 18:07

In case anyone missed this last night....like I did!.....it can be found on the BBC Radio 2 site here : [www.bbc.co.uk] you need to click on the 'more shows' button in the LISTEN box on the right hand side of the screen and then scroll right down to the bottom as it is under W for Who Breaks.... It will probably only be there for the next week. Not entirely sure if this is accessible from overseas but worth trying!

Date: July 5, 2007 22:45

nice programme, well worth a listen! is it possible to download/save this somehow?
by which i mean "somehow that a techno-primitive could understand and carry out"?
please and thank you for any insights, instructions, etc.

Posted by: Rosto ()
Date: July 5, 2007 23:17

It can be found here:

[www.iorr.org]

Let it rock!

Date: July 6, 2007 00:48

thank you kindly!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2029
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home