Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Totally OT: cool edit pro 2.0 questions
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 3, 2007 23:44

someone here posted a beautiful slide example of a stones riff in question in some thread that he laid down on cep as an illustration, and it was just beautifully, gorgeously played, and also beautiful fidelity...and verb...i've never forgotten that, but i can't find the thread now...

if he, or anyone, is familiar with this program and wouldn't mind emailing me personally i'd sure appreciate it...
looking at an akai dsp 24 dedicated machine right now, (tons o bucks but a fidelity wonder with 100 mm faders and other more 'old school' humanizing console attributes...
...but a dear friend from out of town came by a few weeks ago touring Seattle...his tech loaded cep and fl (fruity loops) and a bunch of stuff on my machine...just insisted on it, great guy, really wanting to empower me in home environment i guess...but he's out on the road....

i see downloadable manuals for cep, etc...i have outboard tube pre-amps and compressors etc...for the signal chain IN, and a good interface that allows high bit rate recording..
but i've a question or two, if someone has the time for a short correspondence to help me answer some questions particular to my own project needs....

been trying to avoid computer recording at home for various personal and technical engineering reasons...mousing around then back and forth to fingerstyle and what not...is a bit wearing...literally; if i 'mouse' too much or too often i get mild carpal tunnel or something and my right ring finger gets dumb...and i hate that...that's why god made studios but that's a whole other approach i'm more familiar with...i can usually figure out stylistic workarounds, but like to play what i've written, as written, on basic feel tracks...
...but this tool seems very simple and straightforward...amazingly so actually...

i wouldn't start a project on it without some gentle perspective from a friend in the trenches out there, if someone would be so kind...now ocurring to me that it just might be quite a good functional gift; that they might have dropped quite a golden tool set on me, and i'd like just a tiny bit of company on a few general questions...

(meanwhile i research studios in seattle in portland as best i can for certain songs...) would rather not fly back to l.a. or tenn. for the project, i'm just an indie guy after all, without a trust fund...

but i can do a lot of tracking by myself on all guitars and vokes...certain of my songs do not need big rhythm section live, so this could be very helpful...(certain songs Do require live drums etc, and i wouldn't attempt that at home.,,,don't have all those mikes) just one good condenser, one fair condenser, and a good dynamic...

working hard...excited about new project...probably getting a certain martin with certain electronics i've been coveting for quite awhile now too...(but that ON TOP of the pricey akai purchase...well,,,,that's a lot of studio time burnt potentially)....so lookin' at the possibilities...
(this is the last version (2.0) before syntrillium sold to adobe systems who tweaked it a bit and released an updated version...
ty...
would be grateful thank you...my email should be showing in profile...many thanx.

Re: Totally OT: cool edit pro 2.0 questions
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 4, 2007 00:51

Hey Beely, your description fits to only one person on this board - I think.

- beautiful slide example of a stones riff + cool edit pro.

that must be His Majesty
this the thread: [www.iorr.org]
and this his sound clip: [www.esnips.com]

am I right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-04 01:23 by open-g.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 4, 2007 12:48

I have one mic, which gets put straight in to the pc at the back and then in to CEP.

I don't particurarily like recording with a computer either, but the possibilities it allows makes it a must for me. I try to use as little eq as possible and never use compression.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 5, 2007 05:15

I see you're on - so bump

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 5, 2007 05:55

thank you so very much open-g...YES that's HM's work i was referring to and the link was very helpful...sounds great there...really ty so much...

and ty HM for answering...i usually try to avoid eq as well, most engineers will reach for that eq and compression and have a tweakstock festival, then you have to get rid of all that, and their feelings get hurt and alla that...and there goes the vibe...

i do put a touch, a smige of 'transparent' compression on the way in to avoid a 'peak' on an otherwise good track...

i can track on this program pretty easily and readily...surprised the fidelity is so good...your tracks sound lovely...recorded so well, i could have sworn i heard reberb, but you just got things so warm and resonant it seemed more dimensional...
i just find the software a bit intimidating at first...
...trying to 'think it thru' to a simple mixdown of a few git and voke tracks, down to a two track master etc...stumbling about...thanks for responding...
probably need a tutor right here for an hour then i'm good to go...

i get frustrated very easily with computer stuff if i'm simultaneously trying to keep the 'vibe' going on a song...but cep is a pretty simple program apparently...sounds good...lacks all the bells and whistles...which is kind of good for me, as i can't deal with endless dropdown tables and making incremental 'sonic' adjustments by introducing numberical integers, instead of riding a slider or rotating a knob, where it's all intuitive and take but a second, and is part of the creative flow...
soooo....ty for responding...

i'm looking at...well, except for a couple that get the whole studio treatment i've a lot of 'spare' arragnments that i want to record...just a few gits and vokes, period. so an augmentive multitrack setup at home has always been good for demos, but i guess you can 'get' out of this program what you 'put in' if you're careful about the signal chain...and you seem to just being going straight in with the mike and getting such transparent warmth and fullness...pretty impressive...(of course your playing talent has a lot to do with that also)

it's some scary multiple G's for the akai deck i'm coveting...
or this free program on my machine that sounds so great on your tracks...
great playing too, really lovely...gonna suss this all out...
cep does have simplicity going for it...arm track and go...
do you record 16 bt. or higher bit rate btw?
very grateful open-g and HM...if i get a tutor here for an hour i think i'll be okay...it's dunderhaided simple stuff that usually hangs me up...
ty guys.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 5, 2007 12:28

Yeah I tend to add some reverb here and there.

The biggest problem for me to begin with was finding the right volume settings via the computers controls. Mine has seperate controls for listening and for recording.

I'm not sure what rate it records at, everything is at factory settings on both the pc and cep!? You can save at various rates though, mostly I use WMA/or MP3 when putting stuff online.

I wish I could be of help, but I just used the ol' trial and error till eventually things started to work ok. As you've pointed out, cep's simplicity makes it fairly easy. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-05 12:37 by His Majesty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1540
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home